Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Offseason Trade Target: Matt Chapman

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 railmarshalljon

railmarshalljon

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 50 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:23 PM

Don’t care for WAR. Chavez was a better defender with more range and had a better bat/stats. He had a little more range at 3B. Also wasn’t aided by the juiced ball. Eric Chavez was much better and it’s not even close. Matt Chapman will fall off in a couple years defensively and he’s already not a superstar offensively. If you don’t trust your eyes, or even career trends at positions or any other historical data, at least look at the stats and you will see that Eric Chavez was a much better player

Are we talking about the same player here? Chapman just picked up is second consecutive Platinum Glove award and won the Overall Defensive Player of the Year Award in 2018. Also, what evidence is there to say his defense will fall off?

You can't change the past, but you can still ruin your future.

#82 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 595 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:06 PM

This is a terrific thread. I just want to express my appreciation.

#83 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,034 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:10 PM

Are we talking about the same player here? Chapman just picked up is second consecutive Platinum Glove award and won the Overall Defensive Player of the Year Award in 2018. Also, what evidence is there to say his defense will fall off?

Study the position a bit and trends with players in the history of the game. Then look at his measurables, range, etc.

#84 Melissa

Melissa

Elizabethton Twins

• 16 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:09 PM

I just watched Chapman’s highlights to see if there was something I was missing and I really don’t see what you guys all see. A lot of his homeruns are going to turn into pop outs. Nothing really exciting with the bat. Defense is good but there’s been plenty of good defensive 3B. Range isn’t the best and it’s not going to get any better. I would say that former Athletic 3B, Eric Chavez was quite significantly better than what Chapman is today and based on the type of posts here you would think the opposite. It’s bizarre

I watched several A's games on tv and was very impressed by Chapman. Excellent ability to snag hard-hit balls to his right and his left. Clutch hitting. 

#85 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 230 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:08 AM

What I find interesting about Chapman is he has as many HRs against relievers as he does starting pitchers-18.

He hits over .600 slugging against relievers as well.

I wonder if he becomes just a .200 hitter against the best teams who have better BPs?
  • AZTwin likes this

#86 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,523 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 11:36 AM

Chapman is one of the most valuable assets in baseball. The Twins don’t have anyone close to his value. I would love to have his remaining four years of control. The cost would be massive though and I am not sure it is the area of greatest need.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#87 BrianTrottier

BrianTrottier

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 125 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:56 PM

Study the position a bit and trends with players in the history of the game. Then look at his measurables, range, etc.

Would you care to share your research?