Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Offseason Trade Target: Matt Chapman

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 395 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:13 AM

The A's have 2 guaranteed contracts for 2021 for a combined 22M. If they want to trim payroll for the 2020 season they won't do it with a player making about 580K.

They just trimmed about 11.8M by non tendering 3 players and another 5.8M with the Profar trade.Do they need to do more? They were already pretty close to last years payroll before this, if anything they can probably add a couple players now.

I don't see them trading a player who was top 10 in MVP votes 2 years in a row when he is on a minimum salary.Might be a different story for years 2 or 3 of arbitration.I think he is in Oakland for 2020 and probably 2021 too.

• Mike Sixel, nicksaviking, beckmt and 11 others like this

#22 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,014 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:25 AM

I have two questions.

1) Can he pitch?

2) Why would a 97 win team trade away an elite position player with 4 years of control, especially a low revenue team like the As?

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, scottz and 11 others like this

#23 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,627 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:26 AM

Usually I try to say what would it take to trade a similiar player on the Twins, but in they case they don't have a player as good as Chapman. So to get Chapman, I believe the trades starts with Kirilloff or Lewis whomever the A's like better and maybe both plus another top tier pitching prospects and probably another really young throw with talent.

I'd trade Kirilloff and Lewis and not even blink. That's incredible value for Chapman.

Chapman already is at 3rd base what we all dream of Buxton being in CF. Incredible defense with really good offense. I believe it was Baldelli that said Chapman is the best 3b defender he's ever seen. 

• Twins33, raindog, Hosken Bombo Disco and 5 others like this

#24 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,690 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:26 AM

Everyone assumes that it is time to move Sano to first base.Will his defense at first be more costly than at third?Although I don't know the numbers, I know a first baseman is involved in a lot more plays than a third baseman.If Sano's defense is in question, wouldn't this shift be a negative move?  

Hate to think that Sano's only position is DH, but is that possible?Unfortunately, that position isn't open until 2021.  

I don't think it is his only position but I think it is his best position. 1st or 3rd until 2021 is fine with me. Buxton, Kiriloff and Balezovic is overpay. 

• MN_ExPat likes this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#25 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,750 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:35 AM

I have two questions.

1) Can he pitch?

2) Why would a 97 win team trade away an elite position player with 4 years of control, especially a low revenue team like the As?

They have done it before with Donaldson. The year they traded Donaldson they also lost like half of their pitching staff to free agency so I think they expected a lot of losing.

#26 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,108 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:37 AM

Can we create a package around Edwar Colina that nets us Juan Soto too?

Oakland isn't going to trade Chapman.He's exactly the type of player that a team with their budget constraints is going to continue to build around.

2018 25 Oakland Athletics $547,500 0.109 
2019 26 Oakland Athletics $580,000 1.109 contract
2020 Status Pre-Arb Eligible, Earliest Arb Eligible: 2021, Earliest Free Agent 2024

• Mike Sixel, scottz, Major League Ready and 4 others like this

#27 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,856 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:56 AM

Then in 2021, Royce Lewis would be given the opportunity to play there and Kepler could slide back to a corner outfield role. Lewis’ defensive future has been in question over the last couple offseasons and this year’s Arizona Fall League only brought that more to the forefront.

Cody, can you provide some more background on the opinion Lewis is not cut out to play shortstop? My hunch has always been that this is a fan take without much substance, and your links above don’t take me anywhere.
  • MN_ExPat, wabene and rdehring like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#28 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,105 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:03 AM

I’m sure the Athletics are chomping at the bit to trade the best defensive 3B in the game...
  • SQUIRREL, scottz, Battle ur tail off and 3 others like this

#29 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,228 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:17 AM

I wouldn't think Oakland would trade Chapman, but I also wouldn't think they'd make half of the trades they do. They sure like to shake things up every now and then, even when it seems like it's out of the blue. Though I'd guess if they were going to trade someone unexpectedly, it'd be more likely to be the more easily replaceable Matt Olson across the diamond from Chapman.

• wabene and sweetmusicviola16 like this

#30 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 341 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:24 AM

I wouldn't think Oakland would trade Chapman, but I also wouldn't think they'd make half of the trades they do. They sure like to shake things up every now and then, even when it seems like it's out of the blue. Though I'd guess if they were going to trade someone unexpectedly, it'd be more likely to be the more easily replaceable Matt Olson across the diamond from Chapman.

This. For 2020 we need a 1B. Like him there or not we have Sano at 3B and I don't like him at 1B if the plan is to contend.

Kiriloff and Lewis is where it would start with Chapman.

What would it take to acquire Olson? A lot....

• Aerodeliria likes this

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,160 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:45 AM

Cody, can you provide some more background on the opinion Lewis is not cut out to play shortstop? My hunch has always been that this is a fan take without much substance, and your links above don’t take me anywhere.

Keith Law is still skeptical. The guys at Fangraphs go back and forth. It isn't a fan take at all.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#32 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,856 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:47 AM

Keith Law is still skeptical. The guys at Fangraphs go back and forth. It isn't a fan take at all.

At least give me the courtesy of a link.
Edit.. to the Fangraphs
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#33 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,627 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:55 AM

Seems to me that Keith Law changes his tune on Lewis's defense about twice a year.

• wabene likes this

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,160 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:00 AM

Seems to me that Keith Law changes his tune on Lewis's defense about twice a year.

skeptical is not the same as "won't".....btw.

I've never seen him say he was confident Lewis would stick at SS. A chance, yes, but not confident.

• Physics Guy likes this

#35 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,160 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:05 AM

At least give me the courtesy of a link.
Edit.. to the Fangraphs

In their last writeup, they say most scouts think he can stick at SS, which was NOT THE CASE a year ago......https://blogs.fangra...innesota-twins/

again, not a fan take.

• Major League Ready, Hosken Bombo Disco, MN_ExPat and 1 other like this

#36 raindog

raindog

• 386 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:17 AM

I'm all for getting Chapman, and giving up the farm to do it. Don't know why we would trade Buxton to do so. If we want better defense, let's not trade our best defender for it.

He's to the point where he's going to start getting expensive, as well, so it doesn't make sense if the A's are trying to shed payroll. 

The trade would start with Kiriloff AND Lewis and I would absolutely be interested in doing that. 

• wabene likes this

#37 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,563 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:35 AM

I have three Twins minor leaguers I would not trade.They are Lewis, Kirilloff and Balazovic.Might add Graterol to that, especially seeing his is almost ready.

The Twins are close to being a World Series contender.Their window can last for at least the next five years and probably longer.The four players above, along with Larnach will add to their ability to win it all at some point(s) between now and 2025. 

The reason I am saying 2025 is because that is how long they have Polanco and Kepler tied up for...or longer with options.Sure seems to me that is how the FO is thinking based on the extensions they did last spring.Will be interesting to see if they can get Buxton and Berrios extended this coming spring.  

• Major League Ready, MN_ExPat, wabene and 1 other like this

#38 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,034 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:38 AM

I have three Twins minor leaguers I would not trade. They are Lewis, Kirilloff and Balazovic. Might add Graterol to that, especially seeing his is almost ready.

The Twins are close to being a World Series contender. Their window can last for at least the next five years and probably longer. The four players above, along with Larnach will add to their ability to win it all at some point(s) between now and 2025.

The reason I am saying 2025 is because that is how long they have Polanco and Kepler tied up for...or longer with options. Sure seems to me that is how the FO is thinking based on the extensions they did last spring. Will be interesting to see if they can get Buxton and Berrios extended this coming spring.

Exactly this. You just don’t trade players you will use for the playoff run next year and all of those players are on the table to be key contributor. I mean Kirilloff could have a better bat than Chapman in 2020 let alone the future. Lewis better defense and better potential. Hell even Brent Rooker might have better offensive numbers than Chapman next year. I’d center around Rooker and Enlow and maybe another lower prospect or 2

#39 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,440 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:49 AM

Exactly this. You just don’t trade players you will use for the playoff run next year and all of those players are on the table to be key contributor. I mean Kirilloff could have a better bat than Chapman in 2020 let alone the future. Lewis better defense and better potential. Hell even Brent Rooker might have better offensive numbers than Chapman next year. I’d center around Rooker and Enlow and maybe another lower prospect or 2

None of Kirilloff, Lewis, or Rooker will be "key contributors" to a 2020 playoff run, and NONE of Kirilloff, Lewis, or Rooker will "have a better bat than Chapman in 2020."

• SQUIRREL, Mike Sixel, raindog and 9 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#40 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,034 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:54 AM

None of Kirilloff, Lewis, or Rooker will be "key contributors" to a 2020 playoff run, and NONE of Kirilloff, Lewis, or Rooker will "have a better bat than Chapman in 2020."

I didn’t say Lewis will have a better bat. Yes Kirilloff and Rooker will both have a better bat than Chapman. He just isn’t that good. I’m not sure why people are putting him on a pedestal. His batting average was below .250. His OPS was above average at best. The homeruns weren’t exactly moonshots. MLB changes the ball again and he will have a few more fly outs. He’s suddenly a .230-.240 hitter and maybe 20 homers. Solid but not great, high .700’s OPS. I would bet money Rooker and Kirilloff have higher OPS than him next season. Lewis is further out but he could get the call if they need him in Center and can play elite CF defense today