Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Non-Tendered Players That Could Interest The Minnesota Twins

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 TwinkieTownKiller

TwinkieTownKiller

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 74 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:28 AM

Filling Hildenberger's spot with Trienen would probably be a good move in my opinion. They could start him out lower down the chain of relievers and see if he returns to form. I think he's somewhere in between his historic 2018 and terrible 2019 and that's still a damn good reliever.

I didn't see that Jimmy Nelson got non tendered. If they're going to sign a Martin Perez reclamation project again, that should be your guy.

#22 redstorm

redstorm

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 110 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:47 AM

Pillar fits the biggest need in my opinion. As alluded to, he is good Buxton insurance. Also, his career numbers vs LHP make him a nice option for when you want to give Rosario or Kepler a day off (though both did have improved numbers vs LHP last year)

#23 Musk21

Musk21

• 340 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:48 AM

Any interest in RP Yimi Garcia, who was non-tendered by LA last night?

3.61 ERA, 0.87 WHIP and 66/14 K/BB in 62 1/3 innings

• beckmt, Danchat and Aerodeliria like this

#24 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,817 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:29 PM

Interested in Treinen, not interested in anyone else.Either the potential for a real upgrade or don't waste time and money. 

#25 nater79a

nater79a

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,013 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:58 PM

I thought about Buchter, too. But it appears he can't get right handers out, and the new 3 batter minimum would work against him. Probably why he was non-tendered. Alex Claudio of the Reds the same thing. 

Exactly this on Buchter. 

.904 OPS vs right-handers. 

Not going to fly with the new rule.

#26 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,209 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:16 PM

I wonder how many OtherTeamDaily.com's out there are looking at Hildenberger and saying the same thing we're saying about RPs here.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#27 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,882 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:45 PM

All of the left handed relievers who were non-tendered should get a look. With the three batter minimum, they need to be able to have some success against right handed hitters, though.

Given the Twins roster construction, they already have three utility types (Gonzalez, Adrianza & Astudillo) and a regular for every position except first base (or third if Sanó is moved). A right handed hitting outfielder who can play center field well (as well or better than Kepler) would be a good add.

There were also a number of catchers non-tendered, although none of them hit left handed. If the Twins are interested in Garver getting reps at first, they should be interested in adding major league catching.

Like the way you are thinking here! Agreed on checking out various LHRP options. My dream was Pomeranz on a 2yr $4-5M deal but that got completely blown up. Now, it's about who is the best candidate Johnson and the FO like. I kind of hate to say it, but I'm starting to wonder about Perez. I think his days as a SP option are gone, unless someone decides they can still "fix" him the way it looked like the Twins did the first couple of months last year. If he would accept a bullpen move, I find him interesting.

With all due respect to Cave, who I like despite some rough edges and a play in the field here and there that left me scratching my head, I'd be very interested in a lower cost 4th OF who can play a legitimate CF. I don't care if he bats LF/RF necessarily, just a guy who can play good defense and be solid offensively. I just don't know who to target at this point.

Catcher is weird and interesting. There are a couple guys I like...really liked Vogt...but still prefer to go status quo with Castro. Interesting I haven't heard a single rumor about him. Leads me to believe a re-sign is a strong possibility.
  • Aerodeliria likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#28 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,539 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:15 PM

Treinen would fit the bill for me, rest are speculation, but a flyer on Walker or Nelson could be good insurance, while allowing the first group of starters to get more time in Rochester.

#29 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 657 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:35 PM

If you really want to take a flyer on someone, I have the perfect candidate.After shoulder surgery in 1987, I was unable to throw a baseball until I had my shoulder replaced in 2017 and spent 2018 rehabilitating it.I can now throw pain free.I have no wear and tear on my right arm and can still top out on the radar gun at a solid 45 MPH.My control is a little weak but I'm sure Wes Johnson could straighten that out.And I would be a very inexpensive signing which would leave a lot of money left over for Rendon and Cole.And if you view this as a Bill Veeck type of move, what other team would have a 73-year old pitcher?

#30 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 645 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:05 AM

On second thought, I wouldn't take Kevin Pillar. His OBP is awful and apparently his defense fell off a cliff last year.

#31 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Ft Myers Miracle

• 278 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 12:01 PM

I see Mr Puig is available from Cleveland....oh hahaha no. I just love to mess with myself sometimes.....