Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Non-Tender Cron and Hildenberger

cj cron trevor hildenberger
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 scottz

scottz

• 714 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:23 AM

I suspect the Twins will piecemeal internal options for 1B and spend more than they want on a single good pitcher. I'd like to say they'll spend more than they want on two good pitchers, but I don't think they will. Too many teams want the same players.

Also, a quick shout out for the Reds. I don't love everything they've done since last summer, but they are being aggressive in their moves. I hope to see them in the playoffs next year.

• Jeff_M likes this

#22 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• 468 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:24 AM

I am not surprised about Cron, but I'm also not on the bandwagon that it's such a great idea. I liked him. An injury doesn't mean he wasn't worth what we hoped. Hildenberger ran out of magic. A gimmick pitcher his limited.

Going to have to disagree on part of this one Mike. I won’t disagree that Hildy was having issues with his control and that he was really struggling. However, just because a pitcher throws sidearm, does not mean that it’s a “gimmick”. At the end of the day, if it works... it works. I do t care who you are or how you throw, if you leave the ball over the plate (which he was doing with alarming regularity last year) it’s going to get crushed at any level.

#23 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 657 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:32 AM

I like Cron, but this is a perfectly reasonable move. His production is fairly easy to replace, it's one of the easiest positions to fill in MLB, and the Twins have a variety of internal options, plus there's a reasonable question about what his health looks like (you can be ready for spring training without actually being "ready"). I don't think there's going to be a big market for him, so even if the Twins want him back they should be able to do it at a lower number.

Hildenberger sucked this year. And sucked the second half of 2018. He's a marginal player; even fWAR has him as a replacement level guy. I don't think he was cut for $, I think he was dropped for the 40-man spot and that spot is unfortunately more useful than Trevor Hildenberger. It's easy to suggest that he was overworked and that's why he fell off in 2018...but was he, really? 73 appearances and 73 innings isn't some absurd number. (for example, the hated Yankees had 2 relievers make 72 & 73 appearances last year) Maybe the real answer is, he got figured out. That he's just another guy in the 'pen. Hate to say it, but that's probably the reality on Trevor Hildenberger.

I like Adrianza at $1.6M, especially if last year's performance at the plate wasn't a fluke. Positional flexibility, switch-hitter...he's a nice asset as a utility guy.

• Dman and wabene like this

#24 raindog

raindog

• 386 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:31 AM

This is not fantasy baseball, where you can switch Sano to first base and not worry about the lack of his experience in the position.A team with aspirations to compete deeply into the postseason will need a good fielding first baseman, esp. since the rest of the infield is young.

Someone watched Moneyball. 

Just about any MLB player can handle first base. Especially a passable third baseman. Not that he's going to be great there, but he'd be fine. 

Plus, he has played 223 career innings at 1B.

• USAFChief and wabene like this

#25 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Owner
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:54 AM

This is not fantasy baseball, where you can switch Sano to first base and not worry about the lack of his experience in the position.A team with aspirations to compete deeply into the postseason will need a good fielding first baseman, esp. since the rest of the infield is young.

I think this is an overblown concern. Countless MLB players have transitioned smoothly to first base, many with less experience there than Sano, who has started a few dozen games at 1B over the past 3 years and looked fine. 

The bigger point is that a team with aspirations to compete deeply into the postseason needs a good defensive infield. Moving Sano to 1B and replacing him with a superior glove at 3B would represent a clear defensive upgrade for the unit IMO.

• USAFChief, raindog, Danchat and 2 others like this

#26 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,078 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:34 PM

After seeing what Moose got it's frightening to think what Rendon and Donaldson are going to get. Is the free agent market going to have a bounce back this year? Pohlad better dust off the checkbook!

#27 scottz

scottz

• 714 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:36 PM

I think this is an overblown concern. Countless MLB players have transitioned smoothly to first base, many with less experience there than Sano, who has started a few dozen games at 1B over the past 3 years and looked fine. 

The bigger point is that a team with aspirations to compete deeply into the postseason needs a good defensive infield. Moving Sano to 1B and replacing him with a superior glove at 3B would represent a clear defensive upgrade for the unit IMO.

I would love to see data that breaks down the smooth transitions to 1B and the poor transitions - there have to be some poor transitions, right? I don't know what I'd be looking for, exactly, but I'd think that the quality of the other fielders would impact the transition of the player moving to first. If 2B, SS, 3B all throw darts to the 1B's chest, yeah, any MLB player can make those plays. But if not? That might contribute to a poor transition. Maybe? Maybe.

#28 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 499 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:38 PM

After seeing what Moose got it's frightening to think what Rendon and Donaldson are going to get. Is the free agent market going to have a bounce back this year? Pohlad better dust off the checkbook!

Don't hold your breath!!! :D

• USAFChief and wabene like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cj cron, trevor hildenberger