Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins Arbitration Decisions

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 497 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:06 PM

It takes guts to let a player like Cron go. However... it's ultimately a good thing that this front office has those guts. 

The Twins took a long time to put together a roster that can compete and the reason it took so long was because we treated Trevor Plouffe (and others) like he was Nolan Arenado. This type of spending on average, and you keep your job commitment to average stopped us from finding someone who could play like Arenado. 

I like that this front office is stopping this practice. 

Maybe. Like, maybe it takes guts to do this. It could also been seen as cheap if we think Cron will produce simlar to last year. My take is that he isn't healing as well as they would like. He also doesn't play good defense and his drop in the ALDS killed the team. 

It's gutsy if they intend to bring someone substantial in to play over there or 3B and move Sano. It's also gutsy if they name one of their minor league guys the starter from the start. However, if they try to patch it together with Marwin, etc, or sign some guy on a smaller deal, and don't use the money savings on a couple of nice starting pitchers, it will just look like more of the same for me anyway. 

• USAFChief likes this

#42 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,411 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:36 PM

Maybe. Like, maybe it takes guts to do this. It could also been seen as cheap if we think Cron will produce simlar to last year. My take is that he isn't healing as well as they would like. He also doesn't play good defense and his drop in the ALDS killed the team.

It's gutsy if they intend to bring someone substantial in to play over there or 3B and move Sano. It's also gutsy if they name one of their minor league guys the starter from the start. However, if they try to patch it together with Marwin, etc, or sign some guy on a smaller deal, and don't use the money savings on a couple of nice starting pitchers, it will just look like more of the same for me anyway.

That’s the gutsy part. If the Twins fail to get the average production that Cron has provided at 1B. The team takes a hit.

I believe the decision is cost per analysis. They believe they can at least match or surpass his projected production for a lot less money or even more money with bigger projected production.

If they are right... they improve the team. If they are wrong... we will let them have it on Twinsdaily.

For me... I don’t want them to ever settle for average out of fear they can’t do better.
  • DocBauer likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#43 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,131 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:38 PM

BB-STC
3:33 Where does CJ Cron end up and can he get more than one year? His number were pretty good before the thumb injury

Steve Adams
3:35 He's a good-not-great bat that is limited to first base when he's healthy, and he doesn't get on base all that much due to pretty middling walk rates. There's a reason the Rays cut him at a projected $5MM and why he was non-tendered a year later. Teams don't really value that skill set all that highly anymore (see: Jesus Aguilar).

He could end up with the Brewers, White Sox, Rangers, Red Sox or anyone with semi-need at 1B/DH, but it'll be on a pretty low-cost one-year deal.
3:36 Could even return to the Twins or Rays on a lesser deal, though a new team is likelier.

https://www.jotcast....-3-19-6526.html

• Riverbrian likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins.