Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Arbitration Decisions

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 341 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:55 PM

Sucks but expected. He’s been lost for a long time. Hope he finds his groove elsewhere!

I don't get the timing of this. Why not have done this a week ago and protected Jax? I guess they just don't see Jax in their future plans?

• Mike Sixel and LewFordLives like this

#22 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 341 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:58 PM

https://www.mlbtrade...r-c-j-cron.html

Hildenberger also non-tendered. I don't understand that one at all. He wasn't even arbitration eligible.

I can understand dropping him off the 40 man. So by doing this he can now be picked up by another team? But if not he would bea non-40 Twin?

#23 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,160 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:59 PM

Even though I predicted they'd keep Cron, I'm ok with them not doing so right now. Good luck to him, and the Twins.....

• DocBauer and sweetmusicviola16 like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#24 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 341 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:00 PM

I think the Twins are stashing money to sign a big-time pitcher (Wheeler/Bumgarner/etc). My guess is the Twins front office views Marwin Gonzalez starting the year at 1B as acceptable if they get a big ticket item as a pitcher. Gleeman and Bonnes pretty much nailed this one on their podcast.

I'm guessing Marwin remains a super utility. I would guess an internal guy gets 1B, or maybe a trade for someone like Trey Mancini.

#25 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,958 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:05 PM

Well, they are clearing up payroll but I still don't think they'll land someone like Wheeler or Donaldson but dropping Cron's modest salary suggests they will do something.

If they end up just letting Gonzalez hold it down, I will not be pleased.

• Twins33, notoriousgod71 and jkcarew like this

#26 LewFordLives

LewFordLives

• 126 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:10 PM

If Hildenberger wasn't in their plans, they should have cut him loose sooner, so he had more time to work out his options.
  • sweetmusicviola16 likes this

#27 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,550 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:23 PM

Well, they are clearing up payroll but I still don't think they'll land someone like Wheeler or Donaldson but dropping Cron's modest salary suggests they will do something.

If they end up just letting Gonzalez hold it down, I will not be pleased.

Nor would I. Nor would I be pleased if the assumption is that minor-league options such as Raley, Rooker...or even Kirilloff/Larnach ...would be ready to produce offensively in the majors, in a pennant-race year, and at that position.

• USAFChief, notoriousgod71 and sweetmusicviola16 like this

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,160 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:24 PM

If Hildenberger wasn't in their plans, they should have cut him loose sooner, so he had more time to work out his options.

He has as much time as all but a handful of free agents. I'm not sure I get this.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#29 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 594 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:24 PM

Winter meetings haven’t even happened yet. Hildenberger has plenty of time to sign a minor league deal somewhere. I’d be surprised if Jax is even taken in Rule V, let alone stored on a Major League roster for the entire year. This is a non-issue, in my opinion.

Like others, I could have gone either way on Cron. I’d rather they use that money to get a pitcher, but this opens another hole they need to fill somehow. It might also indicate that his thumb isn’t healing how they’d like. I guess we’ll see. Good luck to Cron and Hildenberger alike.
  • Mike Sixel and Shaitan like this

#30 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,034 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:27 PM

Nor would I. Nor would I be pleased if the assumption is that minor-league options such as Raley, Rooker...or even Kirilloff/Larnach ...would be ready to produce offensively in the majors, in a pennant-race year, and at that position.

These guys are ready.  At a certain point you got to give them the opportunity and see if they can run with it. If not, a trade at the deadline is certainly an option as well.  I would rather look at internal options here (Donaldson if he's cheap, but it doesn't look that way based on Mouse's deal).  Go grab a quality SP, like Wheeler, with the money savings.  

#31 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,456 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:29 PM

Sorry to see Hildenberger leave. Not sure why now and not earlier, or still keep him on the roster to remove when you add a free agent. Of course, then they might have to pay him.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#32 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,034 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:29 PM

Also I wouldn't mind if they try to lock up Sano or Berrios long term with the money savings.  I imagine Buxton and the team would be too far apart on any medium-long term deal.

#33 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,882 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:33 PM

I don't believe Cron was rostered this long for anything other than more time to evaluate after surgery, continue to plan, and maybe even discuss finances with he and his representatives. But I never expected arbitration.

At this point, unless there was an easy compromise on a deal, you let him test the waters. As much as I actually like him and think I want him back...healthy...I would let him sit for a bit and see what happens in the market.

$7.7 bump from $4.8 while being injured for about half a season and then having surgery just sounds like too high of a jump to me.

I'm with Mike on something around $6M for 1yr.
  • Mike Sixel and Battle ur tail off like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#34 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Minnesota Twins

• 3,274 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:38 PM

So long CROM!!!!!!!!!!!
  • birdwatcher likes this

#35 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,523 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:53 PM

I think it is reasonable that one of Larnach, Kirilloff or Rooker will be ready with an outside chance that Raley is ready in a platoon role.

Riverbrian (challenge me if this take is wrong) writes about the cost of signing and playing a short term veteran performing at a mediocre level instead of giving a younger player an opportunity. We watched Perez give the team performance 10% below league average for a starting pitcher. How much different can we expect from Cron?

Either pay up and sign a really good player or put the money elsewhere and give the opportunity to the players with a future. They have three or four rolls of the die with this group of prospects. I think they hit on one of these rolls and get inexpensive near league average performance.
  • birdwatcher, Riverbrian and Battle ur tail off like this

#36 spycake

spycake

• 17,125 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:53 PM

Although non-tendering him now makes him a free agent, free to sign with any team he wants. If they wanted to cut him earlier, I think he would have had to go through waivers (either outright waivers or release waivers) and if another team claimed him, he would have been stuck with them with no choice in the matter. So ideally, he could find himself an org that's a better match now as a FA. (And if he was claimed, then waived again and outrighted, he would have been stuck in the minors for another team not of his choosing too.)

Non-tendering him might have saved him from the waiver merry-go-around, although now he has the tough task of catching on with another org.
  • SQUIRREL and Mike Sixel like this

#37 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,211 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:08 PM

I don't get the timing of this. Why not have done this a week ago and protected Jax? I guess they just don't see Jax in their future plans?

They left a couple of open spots on the 40 man roster even after the additions (likely for free agents), so it's a sign that they either didn't feel the need to protect Jax or they're fine with losing him.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#38 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,415 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:42 PM

I think it is reasonable that one of Larnach, Kirilloff or Rooker will be ready with an outside chance that Raley is ready in a platoon role.

Riverbrian (challenge me if this take is wrong) writes about the cost of signing and playing a short term veteran performing at a mediocre level instead of giving a younger player an opportunity. We watched Perez give the team performance 10% below league average for a starting pitcher. How much different can we expect from Cron?

Either pay up and sign a really good player or put the money elsewhere and give the opportunity to the players with a future. They have three or four rolls of the die with this group of prospects. I think they hit on one of these rolls and get inexpensive near league average performance.

There is no challenge forthcoming. You are spot on!

While I wouldn't break camp with any of those 4 on the opening day roster... you do have to plan for the possibility of one or more of them charging out of the gates like Arraez did last year when the phone call comes.

At 8 Million... Cron has to be a clear upgrade over what these 4 guys could produce or he becomes a Logan Morrison shaped locked door for what could be quality 600K talent. 

The other consideration is this... Cron was released at 4M by the Rays... This allowed the Rays to: 

1. 850K Choi and 600K Nate Lowe... Both either performed equal to, if not better than Cron did. It also allowed them to dice roll with Aguilar to see if he could recover the old magic. If the Rays can find 3 less than 1M options of similar talent to Cron when Cron was out priced at 4M. It kinda suggests that there are a ton of average 1B out there. Thames for example is out there. Better numbers than Cron and he can play occasional OF. If the Rays can succussfully replace him at 4M 3 times... 8M isn't going to make much sense unless you have no other alternatives. 

2. Rotate Yandy Diaz from 3B into 1B from time to time so they could cycle 5 other players through the 3B position from time to time. Find the combinations that work, keep important depth. The Twins could do the same thing with Sano... play him at 1B from time to time. This would open the door for Marwin, Arraez and Adrianza the chance to play some 3B. Or Yes... Sign a big hitting 3B that will actually hit much better than what Cron produced. 

3. With Rooker, Larnach, Kiriloff and Raley knocking on the door and all of them 1B candidates. The Combination of Cruz and Cron on the same roster makes them a 22 million dollar Rooker tar pit. 

Cron not on the roster saves 8 million and unclogs a roster full of MLB talent. 

• Mike Sixel and rdehring like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#39 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,415 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:29 AM

It takes guts to let a player like Cron go. However... it's ultimately a good thing that this front office has those guts. 

The Twins took a long time to put together a roster that can compete and the reason it took so long was because we treated Trevor Plouffe (and others) like he was Nolan Arenado. This type of spending on average, and you keep your job commitment to average stopped us from finding someone who could play like Arenado. 

I like that this front office is stopping this practice. 

• Mike Sixel, Twins33 and rdehring like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#40 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,563 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:41 AM

Will go on record Seth, and predict that the Twins will retain Cron.Don't know if they will offer arbitration or finalize a one year deal prior to 7pm?But expect he will be their firstbaseman next season.

OK, that didn't go as I expected.Should be interesting to see how they put next year's team together.After a successful offseason last year, could they do too much tinkering to the everyday roster?