Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

PMac: Buehrle an option

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

Color me extremely interested.

Link

#2 benchwarmerjim

benchwarmerjim

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

I guess it all depends on how much salary the Marlins are willing to eat. But Buehrle is the ultimate 'Twins pitcher' (soft tosser, no walks, works fast)

#3 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

If the Twins have to give up a really good prospect (Hicks?) for the Marlins to eat $20 million, getting Buehrle for 3yr/$28m is better than they could do on the free agent market. Especially considering how low-risk he is compared to the field.

#4 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,240 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

If the Twins have to give up a really good prospect (Hicks?) for the Marlins to eat $20 million, getting Buehrle for 3yr/$28m is better than they could do on the free agent market. Especially considering how low-risk he is compared to the field.

I wouldn't give up anything close to Hicks in that scenario.

#5 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

Please, no. He's a left handed Carl Pavano.

#6 Esoteric Ball Guy

Esoteric Ball Guy

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

He's a 2010 Carl Pavano which is extremely valuable considering who has started games the past two seasons. If they ate $20-25 million and it cost something like Hendrix and Keplar why not?

#7 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

It will cost alot.

#8 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

The 2010 Pavano cost Yohan Pino and a couple million. I would start looking at cheap guys that are similar to Pavano and not expensive ones (even if the Marlins pay half). I also wouldn't give up good prospects.

#9 Esoteric Ball Guy

Esoteric Ball Guy

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

If the Twins want to compete this year (it's debatable whether or not that's the right course) it makes sense to overpay for dependable pitching. Buhrele gives you essentially what Scott Diamond provided this season, and that is an extremely valuable asset. Buhrele+a good FA (Marcum, E-Jax, etc.) combined with Diamond, a reclamation project (Baker, Colon, etc.) and whoever of Deduno/Gibson/Hendrix/Pedro Hernandez should provide a respectable enough rotation to compete in the AL Central.

Edited by Esoteric Ball Guy, 28 October 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#10 Curt

Curt

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

I like Buehrle and he would instantly be the ace of the rotation. Of course, it all depends on what the Marlins want in return and how much salary they eat BUT he will be 34 by the time the season starts, 36 during the last year of his contract. The Twins should take him only if they have to pay $10-11 mil per year and no prospects (of value) in return. I doubt the Marlins would do that and they probably would not have to because I bet some other team will be willing to risk more.

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

The Twins can't keep relying on pitchers who require the defense to make 80% of the outs. Texas leaguers, seeing-eye singles and infield errors are killing this team. No thank you. Buehrle's a good pitcher but he's not a fit for the Twins. They need to start finding guys who can get outs without relying stellar defense and dumb luck. Buehrle as a #2 or #3 is great, Buehrle as an ace is not and the Twins would view him as such.

#12 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

Give up a top prospect for a 34 year old with three years left on his contract, when there are tons of pitchers available in free agency? How could anyone be in favor of that?

#13 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

Give up a top prospect for a 34 year old with three years left on his contract, when there are tons of pitchers available in free agency? How could anyone be in favor of that?

Let me first say I am totally against trading for Buehrle. But, I think we are all forgetting how good he was for so long. The dude is a gamer. How many games did we pay to go to, that he turned into less than a 2 hour affair. I was so excited to finally get to Target field the first July it was open. I was also excited because Pavano and Buerle were pitching...two of the most efficient at that time. I had been drinking (at keys and then Huberts) for most of the day and was ready for a nice long game of beer drinking. All I remember was sitting down, realizing how beautiful Target Field was, and all of a sudden it was the 7th inning stretch. Both pitchers went the distance and it was, and I believe still is, the shortest game in Target Field history. The Twins won, but I lost. My stats for the game were two 8 dollar beers. I had brought plenty of cash to have 10 but the time just went to fast. What were we talking about again...

O ya Buerle pitches super fast and I think could still be a great pitcher in the American League. I also was at the game at the MetroDome where he had a hitless streak of like 15 innings going. Then, of all people, Alexi "biggest dip-lip" Cassilla came up and sliced a base hit. I want to say he also scored and we ended up knocking him out that game. This guy needs to be a Twin, if the Marlins eat a huge chunk of that salary and we get him for a C prospect, I am in...

Did I just talk myself into a deal for Mark Buerle and his massive contract...YUP!!

#14 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

You have to wonder how much 13 straight years of 200+ IP has worn him down, but who knows, Buehrle seems like a guy who could still have some value in his 40s, if he escapes injuries. His contract is not cheap but I wouldn't be surprised if he outperforms it either. Heck at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the HoF

#15 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

I think you have to explore all your options. If Buehrle is the only move they're making, I'd say no. But if we sign a Haren, Sanchez or even Marcum, I think it would be a good move. Considering they just gave up Bell for nothing and ate $8 million, I could see the Marlins eating $15-18 million for a young, cheap starter like Hendriks. Buehrle at 3 years/$30-33 million wouldn't be too bad. Plus who better to teach Diamond how to be the next Buehrle, than Buehrle himself :)

#16 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,289 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

Don't forget the part where he is owed $48m for those three seasons.

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

I fully expect this to happen. And I fully expect to be depressed about it and reiterate that this is what happens when you concentrate on winning now and not building a quality organization.

#18 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

I think you have to explore all your options. If Buehrle is the only move they're making, I'd say no. But if we sign a Haren, Sanchez or even Marcum, I think it would be a good move. Considering they just gave up Bell for nothing and ate $8 million, I could see the Marlins eating $15-18 million for a young, cheap starter like Hendriks. Buehrle at 3 years/$30-33 million wouldn't be too bad. Plus who better to teach Diamond how to be the next Buehrle, than Buehrle himself :)

This seems about right. I'm all about solid starters on 2-3 yr contracts. I think the prospect should be a guy like Benson though. Hendriks might bust again next year but this team can't afford to trade any arms.

#19 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

One of my favorite things about Buehrle has always been how fast he works. Seriously, whats worse than a pitcher who takes 45 seconds between pitches.
But honestly, I just don't know how interested I'd be. His age isn't really a factor for me because of how he throws, but I just don't know if I would want him for the price that he could cost.

#20 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:13 PM

Let me first say I am totally against trading for Buehrle. But, I think we are all forgetting how good he was for so long. The dude is a gamer. How many games did we pay to go to, that he turned into less than a 2 hour affair. I was so excited to finally get to Target field the first July it was open. I was also excited because Pavano and Buerle were pitching...two of the most efficient at that time. I had been drinking (at keys and then Huberts) for most of the day and was ready for a nice long game of beer drinking. All I remember was sitting down, realizing how beautiful Target Field was, and all of a sudden it was the 7th inning stretch. Both pitchers went the distance and it was, and I believe still is, the shortest game in Target Field history. The Twins won, but I lost. My stats for the game were two 8 dollar beers. I had brought plenty of cash to have 10 but the time just went to fast. What were we talking about again...

O ya Buerle pitches super fast and I think could still be a great pitcher in the American League. I also was at the game at the MetroDome where he had a hitless streak of like 15 innings going. Then, of all people, Alexi "biggest dip-lip" Cassilla came up and sliced a base hit. I want to say he also scored and we ended up knocking him out that game. This guy needs to be a Twin, if the Marlins eat a huge chunk of that salary and we get him for a C prospect, I am in...

Did I just talk myself into a deal for Mark Buerle and his massive contract...YUP!!

Changed my mind. If Buehrle can make Twins games less than two hours I'm all for it.

#21 SpantheMan

SpantheMan

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:47 PM

Whatever they do the twins should be paying more so that they don't have to give up as many good prospects

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,289 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

I fully expect this to happen. And I fully expect to be depressed about it and reiterate that this is what happens when you concentrate on winning now and not building a quality organization.

JR has a track record of prizing his prospects to the point of fault. I wouldn't worry too much about him blowing up what is becoming a rather strong farm system for three years of overpriced Mark Buerhle. That's not to say the Twins don't find a way to acquire him but I don't think JR is willing to give away a Hicks/Arcia/Sano to do it.

#23 LimestoneBaggy

LimestoneBaggy

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

Give up a switch hitting, defensive centerfielder for Mark Buehle (version 2013); I'll pass. Now if they eat salary and want someone like Vargas I may be interested.

#24 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

Marlins need a 1B. A deal for Buerhle would center around Parmalee I suspect. The big question is how much will Florida pay in his salary? 20 Million? and in that case what if anything else would we have to give up for him or get with him to balance out the trade?

#25 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

Marlins need a 1B. A deal for Buerhle would center around Parmalee I suspect. The big question is how much will Florida pay in his salary? 20 Million? and in that case what if anything else would we have to give up for him or get with him to balance out the trade?

If they took Parmelee and $20 million, I would certainly hope nothing else would be needed. I'm assuming this wouldn't be a deal the Twins would do unless it's actually a deal that primarily gives the Marlins salary relief. And the Twins would be a great trading partner in that case, because it's not like the Marlins would be dealing him to a conference or league competitor.

#26 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

Morneau for Buehrle straight up?

#27 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

JR has a track record of prizing his prospects to the point of fault. I wouldn't worry too much about him blowing up what is becoming a rather strong farm system for three years of overpriced Mark Buerhle. That's not to say the Twins don't find a way to acquire him but I don't think JR is willing to give away a Hicks/Arcia/Sano to do it.

I want to believe that, but public pressure and budget availability leave me a bit worried.

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,289 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

I want to believe that, but public pressure and budget availability leave me a bit worried.

He has a 15 year track record of not making that move. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

In fact, JR has proven incredibly adept at giving up absolutely nothing and getting something in return for it. Has any player he traded turned out to be a good acquisition for the receiving team?

#29 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

[quote name='Brock Beauchamp'][quote name='TheLeviathan'][quote name='Brock Beauchamp']JR has a track record of prizing his prospects to the point of fault. I wouldn't worry too much about him blowing up what is becoming a rather strong farm system for three years of overpriced Mark Buerhle. That's not to say the Twins don't find a way to acquire him but I don't think JR is willing to give away a Hicks/Arcia/Sano to do it.[/QUOTE]

I want to believe that, but public pressure and budget availability leave me a bit worried.[/QUOTE]

He has a 15 year track record of not making that move. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

In fact, JR has proven incredibly adept at giving up absolutely nothing and getting something in return for it. Has any player he traded turned out to be a good acquisition for the receiving team?[/QUOTE]
aj? hardy?

#30 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

[quote name='johnnydakota'][quote name='Brock Beauchamp'][quote name='TheLeviathan'][quote name='Brock Beauchamp']JR has a track record of prizing his prospects to the point of fault. I wouldn't worry too much about him blowing up what is becoming a rather strong farm system for three years of overpriced Mark Buerhle. That's not to say the Twins don't find a way to acquire him but I don't think JR is willing to give away a Hicks/Arcia/Sano to do it.[/QUOTE]

I want to believe that, but public pressure and budget availability leave me a bit worried.[/QUOTE]

In fact, JR has proven incredibly adept at giving up absolutely nothing and getting something in return for it. Has any player he traded turned out to be a good acquisition for the receiving team?[/QUOTE]
aj? hardy?[/QUOTE]

Remember that AJ Pierzynski was sent to San Francisco for only one year. He did okay, but he was far better with the Sux, who signed him in free agency. Also, we got Nathan, Liriano, and a scrub (Boof) in that trade as well as made room for Mauer. I'd do that again every day and twice on Sunday.

And Hardy was traded by Bill Smith.