Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Twins re-signed Baker

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
110 replies to this topic

#1 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,568 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

Still trying to find out the details (while trying to figure out the hurricane issue here and the stuff that comes with it, too)
But it looks like this:
3 year deal with option(s) and incentives. Not certain about the total value (heard a couple of things). Will be announced after the World Series is done.

So that is that. And you will hear the details from the access folks soon (Giants' helping)
If my electric holds Sandy, I might add more.

Just wanted you all to know.

(and I do not mind this move)

Edited by Thrylos, 28 October 2012 - 08:05 PM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#2 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hope this is true if not too much money. Very good move if he is heathly by 2014

#3 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

Great first move to the offseason. I'm guessing that the consensus will think they overpaid when we find out the dollar values for 2013 but the important thing is to lock in options since those will be the seasons that he should be pretty good. If he's not then you decline the option.

#4 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

Did someone tweet this?

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

Did someone tweet this?

other than this, I don't know
but it is a fact...
-----

#6 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

Did someone tweet this?

but it is a fact...

I tried citing myself when I wrote a paper once. It turns out that I would have been better off citing Wikipedia (which currently has the Twins declining his option, but not ruling out his return).

#7 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

[quote name='Jeremy Nygaard'][quote name='thrylos98'][quote name='Willihammer']Did someone tweet this?[/QUOTE]

but it is a fact...[/QUOTE]

I tried citing myself when I wrote a paper once. It turns out that I would have been better off citing Wikipedia (which currently has the Twins declining his option, but not ruling out his return).[/QUOTE]

The previous poster asked about a tweet when he should have asked about the source. thrylos responded with the only tweet (his own) that he knows about. For now all we have to go on is that thrylos inside source is accurate.

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

[quote name='kab21'][quote name='Jeremy Nygaard'][quote name='thrylos98'][quote name='Willihammer']Did someone tweet this?[/QUOTE]

I tried citing myself when I wrote a paper once. It turns out that I would have been better off citing Wikipedia (which currently has the Twins declining his option, but not ruling out his return).[/QUOTE]

The previous poster asked about a tweet when he should have asked about the source. thrylos responded with the only tweet (his own) that he knows about. For now all we have to go on is that thrylos inside source is accurate.[/QUOTE]

That tweet thing was a joke (just because he/she asked for it)
Let me put it this way: I know that Baker is signed as much as I knew that Willingham was a Twin and Cuddyer was gone and that Jon Rauch was a Twin at the deadline few years ago...
-----

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

Thrylos is Greek for Deep Throat if I'm not mistaken.

#10 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

Giants sweep!

#11 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

A 3 year deal for a pitcher coming off TJ surgery? I dunno, sounds made up.

#12 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

I expect the Twins to sign Baker again, but three years for a guy coming off TJ surgery? I don't buy it.

Seems silly for the Twins to bid against themselves like that. I don't think any other team would offer him three years on the market right now.

#13 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:41 AM

A 3 year deal for a pitcher coming off TJ surgery? I dunno, sounds made up.

I'm guessing years 2 and 3 are vesting/team options. I might disagree with thrylos frequently but I believe he has sources and that this is indeed true.

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't pull a Boras and get this contract announced from the stands during a WS game (ala ARod).

#14 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,309 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

If true, this is very interesting. Depending on the money, I like the move. Baker has been vastly underrated for years. When he's on his game, he's a very good #2 pitcher.

#15 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

[quote name='Jeremy Nygaard'][quote name='thrylos98'][quote name='Willihammer']Did someone tweet this?[/QUOTE]

That might be the single funniest thing ever posted on this website...EVER!!!

#16 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Sounds like a few guys are a a little prickly about getting scooped by Thrylos!

#17 071063

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

I like this move. If it is for three (3) years, it gives the Twins time to see if he is recovered or not. It also allows him to feel comfortable enough to take the time coming back and not try to do too much too fast. I agree that he is a solid 2 or 3 starter in most rotations. However, in the Twins rotation, he would for sure be a #2 unless the Twins sign a couple of high end starters, and I don't think anyone expects that.

Good move.

#18 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,181 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

Prickly? Not so much. Remember when Mark Rosen reported that the Twins agreed to sign Mauer to a 10-year extension but didn't have contract details or any idea when it would get done?

I think we've come to expect/accept that the Twins will re-sign Baker. And if it happens to be a 3-yr deal like Thrylos suggests, I will tip my hat and wait for him to break news again.

#19 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

I have been searching the internet high and wide for this story. I have seen it no place other than twitter. What happened to the days where news broke after it happened, not before. I agree that their is a small chance the Twins will give him three years off the bat. My guess is one year, plus team options for year 2 and 3. That would make more sense. But to have it done the day after the baseball classic is very iffy. When can the guy even start throwing?

#20 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

If he gets three years, the only issue I see is that the Twins would probably have to overpay him this year in exchange for having him the following two seasons when his value will likely be higher. For the first time in two decades, there are legit #2-3 arms affordable to the Twins on the free agent market, I'd hate to see the Twins think the free agents are $2-4 million more than their budget allows while Baker is getting overpaid by that same amount next year.

#21 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

Peter Gammons is reporting that the Red Sux are in on every free agent so Baker could sign with the Red Sux. Rumor mania has started!

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#22 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

If he gets three years, the only issue I see is that the Twins would probably have to overpay him this year in exchange for having him the following two seasons when his value will likely be higher. For the first time in two decades, there are legit #2-3 arms affordable to the Twins on the free agent market, I'd hate to see the Twins think the free agents are $2-4 million more than their budget allows while Baker is getting overpaid by that same amount next year.

This is what I thought at first. I thought, well three years is good because he will be grossly underpaid if he performs like he has in the past. But then, I starting thinking about it more. Coming of injury you never know what you are going to get. It is a gamble. If he doesn't come back the same and/or gets hurt again, then the Twins have made a bad gamble and that is dead money on the books...(Blackburn).

#23 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

It is a risk but would you rather have 3 years committed to Marcum who is coming off 124 innings and shoulder soreness? What about Haren or Dempster who are coming off significant velocity decline, or jeremy Guthrie who has the ceiling of a 2009 Nick Blackburn and the floor of 2011 Nick Blackburn? I'll gamble on the strikeout pitcher fresh off of TJ every time.

#24 gmarais66

gmarais66

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

Joe C. is reporting the Twins declined Baker's option... http://www.startribu.../176302831.html

#25 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

It is a risk but would you rather have 3 years committed to Marcum who is coming off 124 innings and shoulder soreness? What about Haren or Dempster who are coming off significant velocity decline, or jeremy Guthrie who has the ceiling of a 2009 Nick Blackburn and the floor of 2011 Nick Blackburn? I'll gamble on the strikeout pitcher fresh off of TJ every time.

Who says you have to commit 3 years to Baker?

#26 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

Who says you have to commit 3 years to Baker?

No one, that is what we are trying to say...Thyroid broke the story, before the story happened, and we are saying debating whether or not this is a good idea committing 3 years to him (which is what Thyroid Gland broke on his twitter account).

#27 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

The market may be saying that. Jr is certainly saying that, in order to fetch free agent starting pitching you have to offer multi-year deals. If you are going to decline the option, that makes Baker a FA.

#28 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

[quote name='Twins Twerp'][quote name='Boom Boom'][quote name='Willihammer']It is a risk but would you rather have 3 years committed to Marcum who is coming off 124 innings and shoulder soreness? What about Haren or Dempster who are coming off significant velocity decline, or jeremy Guthrie who has the ceiling of a 2009 Nick Blackburn and the floor of 2011 Nick Blackburn? I'll gamble on the strikeout pitcher fresh off of TJ every time.[/QUOTE]

Who says you have to commit 3 years to Baker?[/QUOTE]

No one, that is what we are trying to say...Thyroid broke the story, before the story happened, and we are saying debating whether or not this is a good idea committing 3 years to him (which is what Thyroid Gland broke on his twitter account).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know - I was comparing this to what Marcum or Guthrie might get.

I think three years is a lot for Baker right now. Not everybody comes back from TJ surgery right away, and not everybody is ever the same. I'd give him a year with an option and tell Scott to test the market if he wants more. Baker wasn't exactly the durable type even before the surgery.

#29 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,181 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

Last night, Wikipedia had announced (and I mentioned) that the Twins were declining Baker's option. Joe C., you got scooped!

#30 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

I'd take three years of Haren at the expense of the injury prone Baker, and if I had to choose between Baker and Marcum, I'd take Marcum too. However, the debate isn't who would we rather have as there should be room for Baker AND a top free agent arm. The issue is there may not be room if Baker agrees to a 3 year deal but the first year is at $6 milion instead of $3 million like it should be.