Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Josh Donaldson Is a Rumored Twins Target, but Should Mike Moustakas Be Considered Instead?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,741 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:30 AM

Home town fans have had a big problem with Moustakas wherever he goes. Even when he hits a homer, the home town fans always boo him. Don’t understand why Mike doesn’t get more love from his own fans. Maybe a red flag?

I think they're saying Moose... not booing... 

• Mike Sixel and nicksaviking like this

#42 Sam Morley

Sam Morley

• 263 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:56 AM

Mike Moustakas is the purest Brewer since Jeremy Burnitz. I don't know how that fan base will cope if he doesn't resign in Wisconsin.

#43 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,817 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:43 AM

Home town fans have had a big problem with Moustakas wherever he goes. Even when he hits a homer, the home town fans always boo him. Don’t understand why Mike doesn’t get more love from his own fans. Maybe a red flag?

Moo - not Boo

#44 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• 336 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:57 AM

Moo - not Boo

Sorry for trolling. I couldn’t resist and knew I’d get a few bites. Ultimately, Sano will Work his way to 1B and then DH. So, picking up a better defensive 3B is a good idea. I’d prefer Donaldson.
  • SQUIRREL, ashbury, nicksaviking and 1 other like this

#45 Five minute major

Five minute major

Elizabethton Twins

• 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:22 AM

Moose and pitching please.  

#46 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,397 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 04:58 PM

Considering all factors, to me the decision is easy. Moose. With all due respect to Donaldson, every projection has him at twice the $ as Moustakas. Living in Royals country here in Omaha, I'm pretty familiar with him and his career. While not elite defensively, he's turned himself in to a decent/quality 3B with a consistent stick. I have been honestly and shockingly surprised how he has bounced around considering how solid a player he is and his consistent production.

“...he’s turned himself in to a decent/quality 3B...”

So if the 30-year-old has improved himself to 0 DRS, why would we assume the 26-year-old at -5 can’t get there?
  • Monkeypaws and DocBauer like this

#47 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 230 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:58 PM

Josh Donaldson 1 year is ok. Moose is like hit Homeruns with low OBP. Donaldson's calves will always be a problem for a team

#48 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,360 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:02 PM

Frankly I'd just roll with Cron and Sano: younger, cheaper, and they both performed well when healthy last season.

Put the money into pitching.

If they don't think Cron's thumb will be the same, then I'd pursue Kendrick.

• DocBauer likes this

#49 darin617

darin617

• 1,479 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:27 PM

Donaldson will be at least getting a 3 year deal minimum.Get Moose.

#50 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,882 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:37 PM

“...he’s turned himself in to a decent/quality 3B...”So if the 30-year-old has improved himself to 0 DRS, why would we assume the 26-year-old at -5 can’t get there?

And I keep preaching the same thing. Absolutely no reason to move Sano off of 3B at this time.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#51 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,397 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 02:54 PM

Moustakas to the Reds. 

#52 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,160 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 02:55 PM

Moustakas to the Reds. 

I am going to assume that means the Reds aren't selling......so cross off some possible trade targets....

• IndianaTwin likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#53 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,228 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:01 PM

I am going to assume that means the Reds aren't selling......so cross off some possible trade targets....

Well depending on whether they play Moose at 2B or 3B, Joe Morgan or Tony Perez may be available.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#54 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,160 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:08 PM

Well depending on whether they play Moose at 2B or 3B, Joe Morgan or Tony Perez may be available.

I hear Morgan isn't open to the new stathead thing, so maybe not him.....

• nicksaviking likes this

#55 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 341 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:21 PM

4/64 I'm glad its not the Twins. Moose is a nice player but he's not a game changer.I'd like someone extraordinary, lets sign Gerrit Cole.

• PseudoSABR likes this

#56 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,105 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:26 PM

Out of all the contracts signed so far, which admittedly is not a huge sample, people have said “Glad the Twins didn’t make that offer!”

People realize cheap contracts can also be bad contracts, right?
  • Mike Sixel and lukeduke1980 like this

#57 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,228 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:27 PM

So far most of the players seem to be getting "overpaid". I'm very surprised by all of this, I wonder if there's some behind the scenes stuff going on with ownership in an effort to put up a good front for the upcoming CBA. After watching the past two years, most of these signings are very uncharacteristic.

Also, I wonder if Odorizzi is having second thoughts about taking that QO right about now.

• Sconnie and sweetmusicviola16 like this

#58 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 341 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:49 PM

So far most of the players seem to be getting "overpaid". I'm very surprised by all of this, I wonder if there's some behind the scenes stuff going on with ownership in an effort to put up a good front for the upcoming CBA. After watching the past two years, most of these signings are very uncharacteristic.

Also, I wonder if Odorizzi is having second thoughts about taking that QO right about now.

Seems like Jake should have been able to do 4/64, or more.

I'm hoping that these signings work to the Twins advantage. We still have our budget and some have used up a good chunk of theirs and the difference makers are still on the board.

#59 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,160 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:52 PM

Out of all the contracts signed so far, which admittedly is not a huge sample, people have said “Glad the Twins didn’t make that offer!”

People realize cheap contracts can also be bad contracts, right?

Nothing worse than signing bad players, and then playing them at least half a year......

• Vanimal46 likes this

#60 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,105 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:01 PM

Nothing worse than signing bad players, and then playing them at least half a year......

Agreed. That’s even more crippling to a lower revenue team than paying someone like Moose $2-3 million more AAV than his perceived value.