Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Josh Donaldson Is a Rumored Twins Target, but Should Mike Moustakas Be Considered Instead?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 bustedstuff88

bustedstuff88

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 62 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:44 AM

Trades not free agent pitchers:
Polanco belongs at 2nd making Arraez the odd man out as trade bait. Package Arraez, (he's not Carew yet) Rooker, Duran, and Gordan for Trevor Story and Jon Gray. Trade Kepler to the Rays for Glasnow (ace in waiting) and the Rays top pitching prospect. The Rays need offense and Kepler is cheap for the low budget Rays. Move Rosario to right and sign Alex Gordan for left on a 1 year deal until Kirilloff or Larnach force him out of the starting lineup as a late inning defensive replacement. Sign Moustakis for third and move Sano to first. Now the Twins will have the cash to sign their core players including Story and Gray to long term deals that are a lot less expensive than paying 20-25 million per year for pitching.
1.Berrios
2.Glasnow
3.Gray
4.Odorizzi
5.Grateral
lf-Gordan
cf-Buxton
rf-Rosario
3b-Moustakis
ss-Story
2b-Polanco
1b-Sano
c-Garver
dh-Cruz

No, no and NO. Arraez isnt getting traded......If he did, we would get fleeced no matter who the return was.

#22 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 499 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:12 PM

Donaldson's worst years are simlar to Moose's average to better seasons. He's a better player. That said, Moose is younger, cheaper and wouldn't have to worry about anything in the locker room. 

Also, neither of these are "must" moves IMO. Get the pitching taken care of and if you want to improve infield defense, I think moving Polanco to 2B or 3B might make more sense and bring in a glove first SS. Also, moving Sano out of his position didn't work out to great last time did it? Unless your plan is to move him, you might be better off leaving him at 3B.

• SQUIRREL and nicksaviking like this

#23 djvang

djvang

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 116 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:20 PM

Long-time Twins killer. Sign him to prevent further damage. Just like they did with Nelson Cruz.

• wabene likes this

#24 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,878 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:43 PM

Everything about Donaldson screams "you're going to over-pay and be disappointed." Give me Moose and spend the savings on pitching.

• Jeff_M likes this

#25 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,878 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:44 PM

Donaldson's worst years are simlar to Moose's average to better seasons. He's a better player. That said, Moose is younger, cheaper and wouldn't have to worry about anything in the locker room. 

Also, neither of these are "must" moves IMO. Get the pitching taken care of and if you want to improve infield defense, I think moving Polanco to 2B or 3B might make more sense and bring in a glove first SS. Also, moving Sano out of his position didn't work out to great last time did it? Unless your plan is to move him, you might be better off leaving him at 3B.

Sano at 1B is not like Sano in RF. He's already played 1B fairly often and been fine. He's not great there either, but less awful than at 3B.

#26 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 499 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:57 PM

Everything about Donaldson screams "you're going to over-pay and be disappointed." Give me Moose and spend the savings on pitching.

I don't trust them to spend any savings though, do you?

When has it ever happened? They want a 3B, get the best one available. Same with pitching, get the best one available that is realistic. 

#27 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,878 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:17 PM

I don't trust them to spend any savings though, do you?

When has it ever happened? They want a 3B, get the best one available. Same with pitching, get the best one available that is realistic. 

I'm not convinced there's a big gap between them if the price is double. And yes, they have a budget. If they save $12 million on Moose vs. Donaldson, it's safe to assume at least some of that will be spent elsewhere.

• brvama and wabene like this

#28 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,817 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:35 PM

I am confused by all the 3B, C postings when the team produced all it needed to do in the lineup - we need pitching.Is this just because nothing is happening and speculation at least keeps the stove hot?

• SQUIRREL and Sconnie like this

#29 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,078 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:42 PM

I am confused by all the 3B, C postings when the team produced all it needed to do in the lineup - we need pitching. Is this just because nothing is happening and speculation at least keeps the stove hot?

Getting better is ok and so is infield defense. Infield defense even helps the pitching.
  • Danchat and Shaitan like this

#30 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,160 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:49 PM

I am confused by all the 3B, C postings when the team produced all it needed to do in the lineup - we need pitching. Is this just because nothing is happening and speculation at least keeps the stove hot?

Well, Castro is not on the roster for one thing..... And astudillo is not really a catcher
  • Twins33 likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#31 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,817 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:00 PM

Well, Castro is not on the roster for one thing..... And astudillo is not really a catcher

Jeffers is, Sano is still at 3B, and Astudillo can still be the third choice at both positions.If we wanted Castro we could have made an effort to resign him ( I would have),but these positions are not where I want the big signing.

#32 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,228 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:39 PM

Jeffers is, Sano is still at 3B, and Astudillo can still be the third choice at both positions.If we wanted Castro we could have made an effort to resign him ( I would have),but these positions are not where I want the big signing.

Well there’s really only three maybe four pitchers that could be considered a big signing and there are 30 teams. I’m guessing just about everyone here would like the team to get one, but should they come up empty, isn’t it better to upgrade the offense than nothing at all?

And really, it’s not an either/or scenario. They can comfortably do both.
  • Twins33 and Danchat like this

#33 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,741 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:15 PM

I'm not convinced there's a big gap between them if the price is double. And yes, they have a budget. If they save $12 million on Moose vs. Donaldson, it's safe to assume at least some of that will be spent elsewhere.

To be fair, payroll for last year was not low. They spent cash and were smart about it. I would hope that this new FO is willing to make the investments given they won 101 games last year...

3B isn't my first choice, but if they take one of these and move Sano to first (cutting Cron), that isn't the worst choice, and it's not that much more... so if they still get that pitching they need, it's a win. 

#34 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,817 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:35 PM

Well there’s really only three maybe four pitchers that could be considered a big signing and there are 30 teams. I’m guessing just about everyone here would like the team to get one, but should they come up empty, isn’t it better to upgrade the offense than nothing at all?

And really, it’s not an either/or scenario. They can comfortably do both.

I suspect that there are many ways to add to the staff besides the big six FA

#35 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,817 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:40 PM

Getting better is ok and so is infield defense. Infield defense even helps the pitching.

If I am not mistaken, SS is where you improve the infield, not 3B.

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,160 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:07 AM

I suspect that there are many ways to add to the staff besides the big six FA

Then they'd have plenty of money to sign a third baseman if they want..... Which was the point. Either they don't big on pitching, it they can spend elsewhere. And next year's free agent pitching class is meh.
  • nicksaviking and Sconnie like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#37 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• 336 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:37 AM

Home town fans have had a big problem with Moustakas wherever he goes. Even when he hits a homer, the home town fans always boo him. Don’t understand why Mike doesn’t get more love from his own fans. Maybe a red flag?
  • ashbury, Monkeypaws and lukeduke1980 like this

#38 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,523 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:57 AM

I can't believe I'm typing this....
But if you sign moose and Cron.... Would you trade Sano for a stud pitcher, or two close pitchers? Or a good pitcher and a minor league player?
Sano might cost more than Moose in two years.....

I don’t need a qualifier to trade Sano for a stud pitcher or two close pitchers. Trade him and play Gonzalez or Adrianza there if you must. Get that pitching.

I don’t think Sano can bring that stud pitcher though. I like the research baseball trade values has done to calculate their value. In Sano’s case the Twin pitcher nearest and just above him is Tyler Duffey. Sano has much more adjusted field value but his projected salary and one less year of service time significantly reduces his trade value. Rosario is similar.

The Twins shouldn’t hesitate at good pitching for Sano. Someone would offer more than a Duffey but they really need a lot more or they are better keeping him for this two year window.

#39 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,209 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:20 AM

I'm fine with moving Sano to 1B if there's an elite replacement, but it has to be an ARod to 3B from SS situation, not a marginal upgrade.

He's young and still might improve to league average -- if he does, he's far more valuable at 3B. If he doesn't improve on defense, the issue forces itself in 2021-2022. Then Lewis and others are pushing at his spot in the lineup anyway.

#40 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• 501 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:26 AM

Trades not free agent pitchers:

Polanco belongs at 2nd making Arraez the odd man out as trade bait. Package Arraez, (he's not Carew yet) Rooker, Duran, and Gordan for Trevor Story and Jon Gray. Trade Kepler to the Rays for Glasnow (ace in waiting) and the Rays top pitching prospect. The Rays need offense and Kepler is cheap for the low budget Rays. Move Rosario to right and sign Alex Gordan for left on a 1 year deal until Kirilloff or Larnach force him out of the starting lineup as a late inning defensive replacement. Sign Moustakis for third and move Sano to first. Now the Twins will have the cash to sign their core players including Story and Gray to long term deals that are a lot less expensive than paying 20-25 million per year for pitching.

1.Berrios

2.Glasnow

3.Gray

4.Odorizzi

5.Grateral

lf-Gordan

cf-Buxton

rf-Rosario

3b-Moustakis

ss-Story

2b-Polanco

1b-Sano

c-Garver

dh-Cruz

I don't understand why the Rox would trade Gray and Story for such a light return.I'm not sure that trade gets Story by himself.

Nor would the Rays trade Glasnow+ for Kepler...

• Jeff_M likes this