Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Hot Commodities: Catching Up on the Free Agent Catcher Market

jason castro mitch garver ryan jeffers
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,415 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:25 PM

You may have uncovered their plan, Riverbrian. Garver starts and plays around 100 games. Astudillo focuses on catcher and plays the other 62. They just signed a AAAA type vet for Rochester to go with Telis, who was there last year. That's their depth for the first half of the season. That is followed by two very good prospects who should be pushing to be in Rochester by mid-season, if not sooner. That plan works for me.

I hope so because I’m brilliant. 😀
  • rdehring likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#22 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,523 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:49 PM

I think the depth is too thin. I think Telis’ numbers are heavily skewed up having played several years at the AAA level. I don’t think he will hit and I have to assume his defense is below average. He might be better than Graterol though.

If Garver goes down early they will be looking for the 2020 version of Bobby Wilson. If Astudillo can’t cut it defensively when given that chance the 2020 Wilson will be starting 3-4 games a week. I would rather they sign an upgrade over a Wilson this winter and begin Astudillo in AAA catching every day.

The Twins have a surplus of outfield depth and even middle infield depth in Gordon on options. They have no catching depth and it really wouldn’t be that expensive to buy it. Maldonado cost the Royals 2.5 million.
  • Riverbrian, Sconnie and DocBauer like this

#23 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,878 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:50 PM

Personally, I have no issue with Astudillo being the back-up catcher and zero interest in Castro coming back. Since no one except the Royals bother to steal bases anymore, as long as he's not a train-wreck back there, he's fine.

• justinone likes this

#24 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,415 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:36 PM

I think the depth is too thin. I think Telis’ numbers are heavily skewed up having played several years at the AAA level. I don’t think he will hit and I have to assume his defense is below average. He might be better than Graterol though.

If Garver goes down early they will be looking for the 2020 version of Bobby Wilson. If Astudillo can’t cut it defensively when given that chance the 2020 Wilson will be starting 3-4 games a week. I would rather they sign an upgrade over a Wilson this winter and begin Astudillo in AAA catching every day.

The Twins have a surplus of outfield depth and even middle infield depth in Gordon on options. They have no catching depth and it really wouldn’t be that expensive to buy it. Maldonado cost the Royals 2.5 million.

I agree with this as well. As I throw support toward Astudillo as a catcher... I also know that injuries can change things on a dime. 

All I can do is hope that they find someone better than Wilson for AAA or hope that Jeffers has Helium. 

• jorgenswest likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#25 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 341 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:03 PM

It's just a page from the Offseason Handbook. You can download it and get the whole thing in high-res, mobile-friendly format :)

To answer your question, I lean toward Castro or Avila. Vogt is a sneaky option because his LH pop and versatility would be useful in a three-catcher scenario.

Vogt is signing with Arizona. I would have liked him for the Twins.

Maybe it will be Astudillo.

• DocBauer likes this

#26 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,882 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:50 PM

I agree with this as well. As I throw support toward Astudillo as a catcher... I also know that injuries can change things on a dime.

All I can do is hope that they find someone better than Wilson for AAA or hope that Jeffers has Helium.

I've always felt beyond your prospects at AAA, you should spend a little more to bring in a handful of AAAA guys that might be a cut above for insurance. You just never know what can happen.

From what I have watched, I have no problem with Astudillo behind the plate. And I absolutely agree with previous post that if he can just lay off the crazy outside stuff, he has the ability to be a solid and productive hitter in a fill-in role. But I like him best as my 3rd guy with someone a little more experienced to play with Garver. Again, I'm hoping for Castro. But there are other guys of interest, though losing Vogt as an option is disappointing.

But your AAA pitchers need and deserve someone quality to work with and provide the parent club with an extra, viable option.
  • Riverbrian likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#27 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,882 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:51 PM

Vogt is signing with Arizona. I would have liked him for the Twins.

Maybe it will be Astudillo.

He was one of my top choices to replace Castro if he's not back.
  • sweetmusicviola16 likes this

--Lou Brown

#28 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,692 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:00 PM

I look for Jeffers to be up by midseason, and being a force, ala Will Smith of the Dodgers. So a generous 1 year contract just might keep Castro for a year, especially if you wants to be a part of a winner, and still make some money. He just might bet on himself. If Astudillio is still part of this team in 2020, I feel the FO is not doing what it can do to improve this team. Injuries are always looming, and Castro could be a needed piece, or he could be a great trade at the deadline, too. 

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher and sweetmusicviola16 like this

#29 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,523 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:23 PM

Will Smith looks to be two years ahead of Jeffers. He spent 2018 in AA and AAA. Jeffers on a similar path would be here for good around trade deadline 2021.
  • birdwatcher likes this

#30 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,692 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:57 PM

Will Smith looks to be two years ahead of Jeffers. He spent 2018 in AA and AAA. Jeffers on a similar path would be here for good around trade deadline 2021.

Yup. Jeffers could be on a quicker "path". Smith was also blocked by Grandal and Barnes (who has been streaky), but when Barnes couldn't get back to his best last year, Smith was called on and is the starter, now. I think Jeffers will be ready if called upon midseason. That is my call, regardless.

#31 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,209 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:02 PM

Catchers historically move through the minors slower than other positions, don't they?

#32 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 800 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:40 AM

Yes, if the Twins are serious about signing another catcher they DO need to act quickly. But sadly, I don't think they will do that. They will play the waiting game again and settle for scraps.

#33 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,290 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:40 AM

Other than Grandal, I don't think there were many (if any) catchers that move the needle for teams. I like Castro and Avila to provide a LH bat in the lineup on occasion, but mostly I'd like to see solid run-prevention in all aspects of the backup catcher's defensive game--handling pitchers, framing, throwing and preventing wild pitches. 

• SQUIRREL and DocBauer like this

#34 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 942 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:09 AM

I think the depth is too thin.

No directed at you, just happen to quote yours.

The twins should have plenty of financial flexibly because that is very important. So if Garver gets hurt you go out and trade for a catcher to fill that role, I mean why else have financial flexibly if you aren't actually going to use it in the off season or in the season?

• Mike Sixel likes this

#35 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,160 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:30 AM

I don't think Astudillo is a good hitter long term, and I don't think he's a good catcher. I hope they have someone else here to start the year at catcher behind Garver

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#36 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,882 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:46 AM

After Grandal, there were a couple quick and even surprising moves made. So far, I haven't even heard a rumor regarding Castro. To me, that says nobody is breaking down doors to offer him multiple years, $8+ and a starting job. So until something breaks, I'm still saying $5-6M per for 2yrs. It's a perfect fit and win/win for both sides and eases "pressure" to rush Jeffers or Rortverdt.

--Lou Brown

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jason castro, mitch garver, ryan jeffers