Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Best-Case Scenarios for New Twins 40-Man Additions

jhoan duran dakota chalmers luke raley gilberto celestino travis blankenhorn
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,653 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:56 PM

The thought of Raley possibly platooning in some manner with Cron at 1B never honestly occurred to me. Could be a smart move. Of course, works that much better if he's your 4th OF as the 26 man spot could easily be a RP or Austudillo, etc.

I disagree on Chalmers moving to the pen so soon. His primary issue...other than injury...is gaining control of his stuff. With his limited IP, I'd have him start for now. More opportunity to throw, throw some more, and work on his control.

Later in the season, then shift him to the pen due to IP if nothing else. His future can be determined in the offseason based on what everyone sees.
  • wabene and sweetmusicviola16 like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#22 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,653 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:59 PM

Really don't understand Blankenhorn not playing more 3B. If he can't hack it defensively, the obvious move is to 1B or the OF. But while he has played a lot of LF, he's also played a lot of 2B. So good enough for 2B but not 3B simply does not compute unless his arm is weak or wild.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#23 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 498 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:25 PM

I would agree on Chalmers. He doesn't get better with fewer reps. Keep him as an SP for now.

#24 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,428 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:23 PM

I am really hoping that Duran can develop into a #2 or #3 starter. Pitching prospects are naturally volatile, and the Twins' pitching prospects so rarely develop... getting Duran to turn into something legit would be phenomenal. It'd be a sign that this front office knows what they're doing when it comes to developing prospects.

Chalmers as a reliever sounds about right, perhaps he could end up in the big leagues quicker if they focus on that for him. Raley's ceiling is probably as a platoon / 4th OF. 

Not sure on Blankenhorn and Celestino... Gilberto is too far off for me to say anything at this point, and I think Travis has a chance to break out as a MLB starter, but that's certainly not a given.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#25 HrbieFan

HrbieFan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 131 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:30 PM

Could Blankehorn become a Koskie type bat at 3B?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jhoan duran, dakota chalmers, luke raley, gilberto celestino, travis blankenhorn