Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Cubs interested in Luis Arraez?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 darin617

darin617

• 1,529 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:39 AM

https://twitter.com/...ovecubbies.com/

Not sure why the Twins would be interested in moving Arraez. He is cheap and can't become a free agent until 2025. You would not trade him unless you were blown away big time.

• glunn and MN_ExPat like this

#2 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,291 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:40 AM

https://twitter.com/...ovecubbies.com/

Not sure why the Twins would be interested in moving Arraez. He is cheap and can't become a free agent until 2025. You would not trade him unless you were blown away big time.

Unless it brings us back Kris Bryant? Of course that won't be a straight up trade (or likely trade at all), but ... I'd listen.

• glunn, diehardtwinsfan, Tomj14 and 1 other like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#3 darin617

darin617

• 1,529 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:53 AM

I don't think I would be interested in Bryant. Only a couple of years left and he would become a free agent. Also the fact of that grievance he filed against the Cubs. He most likely becomes a FA even sooner when he wins it. And his agent is Scott Boras.

• glunn and Dman like this

#4 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,291 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:04 AM

I don't think I would be interested in Bryant. Only a couple of years left and he would become a free agent. Also the fact of that grievance he filed against the Cubs. He most likely becomes a FA even sooner when he wins it. And his agent is Scott Boras.

I would take a couple of years of Bryant for the right price. As I said ... you listen to offers, and if the right one comes along ...

Not sure what that would be with something involving Arraez, but, I'd listen.

• USAFChief, glunn, birdwatcher and 7 others like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#5 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,128 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:10 AM

A trade of Arraez for Yu Darvish take 21.5M off the books for the Cubs who seem very reluctant to exceed the Luxury tax.

Edited by Major League Ready, 22 November 2019 - 10:11 AM.

• USAFChief, glunn, birdwatcher and 6 others like this

#6 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,641 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:14 AM

No, No and Hell No.

#7 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,046 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:14 AM

Sano and Arraez for Bryant and Darvish?????

Now that would be a blockbuster!
  • SQUIRREL, USAFChief, glunn and 5 others like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Can Anyone Find Jim’s Wallet?

• 13,224 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:22 AM

No one should be untouchable... Let's not get blinded by less than 400 MLB PAs like several did with the Turtle last winter.

I'm intrigued trading with the Cubs...
  • SQUIRREL, USAFChief, glunn and 8 others like this

#9 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 669 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:25 AM

If Darvish is on the table, color me intrigued. Arraez ran a pretty high BABIP last year...
  • USAFChief and birdwatcher like this

#10 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,645 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:28 AM

A trade of Arraez for Yu Darvish take 21.5M off the books for the Cubs who seem very reluctant to exceed the Luxury tax.

Done.

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, diehardtwinsfan and 6 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,798 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:31 AM

The question I always ask for these types of things is who do we have to replace Arraez... That would be Nick Gordon or Adrianza... I'm not ready to crown either as the 2020 starting 2B... and I'm guessing most wouldn't be too excited about bringing back Schoop on a 1 year make good deal.

Now that said, Arraez should be a pretty vaulable asset, and if he brought back high end pitching, I'd certainly listen. 

• glunn, birdwatcher, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#12 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Can Anyone Find Jim’s Wallet?

• 13,224 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:36 AM

The question I always ask for these types of things is who do we have to replace Arraez... That would be Nick Gordon or Adrianza... I'm not ready to crown either as the 2020 starting 2B... and I'm guessing most wouldn't be too excited about bringing back Schoop on a 1 year make good deal.

Now that said, Arraez should be a pretty vaulable asset, and if he brought back high end pitching, I'd certainly listen.

Schoop did his job as a placeholder until Arraez got red hot. What's wrong with doing the same thing in 2020? If Arraez was traded...

Edited by Vanimal46, 22 November 2019 - 10:36 AM.

• glunn, birdwatcher, Jham and 2 others like this

#13 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,128 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:44 AM

We have a lot of infield depth so it's much easier to cover the trade for Arraez than it is to come up with good SPs. 

• SQUIRREL, glunn, birdwatcher and 2 others like this

#14 dex8425

dex8425

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 157 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:46 AM

I like Arraez but there's several guys on the Cubs I'd take if they really want Arraez. Contreras? Done. Darvish? Done.Bryant? Done.Do they want to shed Lester's salary? I don't really want Lester but if they throw in someone else...

I'm sure it involves multiple pieces. 

#15 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,511 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:47 AM

For either Darvish or Bryant without hesitation. I'd have to think about others.
  • Twins33 likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#16 darin617

darin617

• 1,529 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:54 AM

That would be get Polanco out of SS and move him to 2nd and find a good defensive SS. That would improve the team. It would also depend if Darvish is the target how much of the remaining 81M for 4 years could we get the Cubs to eat? It would be nice to get them to eat 25-30M.

• SQUIRREL and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#17 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,128 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:55 AM

For either Darvish or Bryant without hesitation. I'd have to think about others.

I right with you. Why give up Arreaz unless it's a great fit. As I understand it, Bryant's grievance could mean that it would only be 1 year of team control. No way would I give up Arraez for 1 year of Bryant so I doubt they consider Bryant until that grievance is settled.

• SF Twins Fan and MN_ExPat like this

#18 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,291 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:55 AM

No one should be untouchable... Let's not get blinded by less than 400 MLB PAs like several did with the Turtle last winter.

I'm intrigued trading with the Cubs...

I'm not sure we make good trade partners, though ... they are looking for pitching as are we. But ... who knows? One of my friends who is a huge Cubs fan thinks they will be trading with the Padres. We'll see ... I can never prognosticate these things.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#19 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,511 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:56 AM

I right with you. Why give up Arreaz unless it's a great fit. As I understand it, Bryant's grievance could mean that it would only be 1 year of team control. No way would I give up Arraez for 1 year of Bryant so I doubt they consider Bryant until that grievance is settled.

Agreed on the one year thing. For two years of Bryant, yes. For one year? No.
  • Twins33 likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#20 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,001 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:57 AM

Schoop did his job as a placeholder until Arraez got red hot. What's wrong with doing the same thing in 2020? If Arraez was traded...

Twins would improve at 3rd and 1st (sano) and downgrade a bit at second. I take that, not sure i wan't Schoop to be that 2B, but if he is willing to so the same next with Gordon as he did with Arraez, I would be fine with that.