Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Miguel Sanó Was Everything We Were Promised in 2019

miguel sano
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 163 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:48 PM

The post season was humbling for the Twins, including Sano. Baseball is about moving beyond failure and striving to improve. Sano got a taste again, the taste he had when he first arrived before the troubles. He is the only Twin I would not want to pitch to when he is focused and I have to believe that sentiment is felt across MLB. Sconnie brings up a critical point. A year removed from the stress of pushing himself just to get fully healed is past. This winter Sano will be taking care of himself and increasing his strength and mobility while looking to improve on his focus from one at bat to another. I want to see him stay at 3B and get a little quicker with his feet and his glove, but he doesn't need to be above average to be a huge asset. It's easy to catch yourself leaning forward when Sano comes to bat and that says plenty.

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#22 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,602 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:27 PM

Sano had a major injury in 2017 followed by major surgery. In retrospect it should have been expected for him to struggle in 2018.

Regarding 2019, he was rushed to the majors with no spring training and a rehab assignment that was far short of adequate. He was way rusty and had to work through that against players who were in midseason form. Again, it should have been expected for him to struggle. What we saw in the second half of 2019 was the real Miguel Sano. Finally.

He will be the 2020 AL MVP.

#23 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,160 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:46 PM

I will stick my neck out as an oldtimer and ask what the heck do all those new 'stats' mean? I don't like that baseball has been reduced to all these metrics which make everything so mechanical. I can't remember the last time I attended a game where someone hit a big HR and the fans all got giddy and buzzed...wow, what launch angle...what exit velocity. Its a new world....

I also think voicing this on this site will make me very unpopular, but its an opinion and I have noticed that newcomers comments here are not embraced with much friendliness. Thats too bad too.

It's unfortunate that you think this forum is unwelcoming to an "oldtimer", but you also have to realize that a lot of "oldtimers" tend to dig their heels in and refuse to accept the changing game.

If you want to know what the stats mean, please, just ask. There are loads of posters and writers who will be happy to explain what they mean and why they're significant to the game.

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,160 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:58 PM

The post season was humbling for the Twins, including Sano. Baseball is about moving beyond failure and striving to improve. Sano got a taste again, the taste he had when he first arrived before the troubles. He is the only Twin I would not want to pitch to when he is focused and I have to believe that sentiment is felt across MLB. Sconnie brings up a critical point. A year removed from the stress of pushing himself just to get fully healed is past. This winter Sano will be taking care of himself and increasing his strength and mobility while looking to improve on his focus from one at bat to another. I want to see him stay at 3B and get a little quicker with his feet and his glove, but he doesn't need to be above average to be a huge asset. It's easy to catch yourself leaning forward when Sano comes to bat and that says plenty.

I kept your entire post intact because I think your point has merit, but... the bolded?

Nelson Cruz says hi. Jorge Polanco says hi. Mitch Garver says hi.

These are all players who were effing METAL in clutch situations; the problem is that many of them limped into the postseason and we haven't seen the best of them in the times that matter most.

• SQUIRREL, DocBauer, Melissa and 1 other like this

#25 Penthang

Penthang

• 116 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:45 AM

He will be the 2020 AL MVP.

A bold prediction! I think a full and healthy season of both Sanò and Buxton would have them both vying for this honor and that (fingers crossed) will be a blast to watch.
  • tarheeltwinsfan and Nine of twelve like this

--Twins Fan From Texas

#26 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 163 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:47 AM

re: "Nelson Cruz says hi. Jorge Polanco says hi. Mitch Garver says hi."

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree about how good Cruz, Polanco, and Garver were last summer. I would even add Kepler, Arraez, and the apparently increasingly unpopular Rosario to the list. I try to never miss an at bat by Buxton because he could do just about anything. Agree that a healthy lineup would yield different results. I especially felt bad for how banged up Kepler appeared. I only meant to advance the idea that Sano could conceivably put together a spectacular year in 2020 if he keeps working on his flexibility and improves in his concentration. He is a big dude in the mold of Frank Howard, Frank Thomas, or Aaron Judge to mention a few non-Twins.

• SQUIRREL likes this

#27 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,084 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 10:47 AM

How about an full season for starters. .270/30/100 being a reasonable result and not a liability at 3b. Play 140+ games, no time on DL/IL. 2020 needs to be the year.

He has not had a single season where he made the qualifying number of plate appearances so I agree with you

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,160 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:01 PM

re: "Nelson Cruz says hi. Jorge Polanco says hi. Mitch Garver says hi."

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree about how good Cruz, Polanco, and Garver were last summer. I would even add Kepler, Arraez, and the apparently increasingly unpopular Rosario to the list. I try to never miss an at bat by Buxton because he could do just about anything. Agree that a healthy lineup would yield different results. I especially felt bad for how banged up Kepler appeared. I only meant to advance the idea that Sano could conceivably put together a spectacular year in 2020 if he keeps working on his flexibility and improves in his concentration. He is a big dude in the mold of Frank Howard, Frank Thomas, or Aaron Judge to mention a few non-Twins.

Ah, yes, then I agree. Sano’s offensive potential is enormous.

#29 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,375 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:59 PM

I would really, really, REALLY like to see him repeat his performance this year. That to me is the biggest question. We know he can overcome adversity. But can he overcome success?

John, That's a heavy question.

• wabene likes this

#30 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 320 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 01:05 PM

For Sano to be a league MVP he will have to hit for a better average. His 'k' ratio projected over an entire season if healthy is too high...even in his second half, he had a few stretches where he would 'k' almost every AB. For me, I'd love to see 40HR's, 115 RBI, and OBP over .300 and and a BA of at least .240. That would be fine with me. Like Buxton, 2020 will be a pivotal year.

#31 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 320 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 01:15 PM

It's unfortunate that you think this forum is unwelcoming to an "oldtimer", but you also have to realize that a lot of "oldtimers" tend to dig their heels in and refuse to accept the changing game.

If you want to know what the stats mean, please, just ask. There are loads of posters and writers who will be happy to explain what they mean and why they're significant to the game.

I have thick skin, and also years of perception. Sometimes you just know when you are being brushed off.And I also have to wonder (as many do) whether accepting the 'changing game' is really such a good thing? Its a question, not a value judgment. Some changes are good and some maybe not IMO. I believe the reliance on too many 'stats' takes a lot of fun out of the 'game' itself. I also think baseball is losing fans by the week because the game has slowed to a crawl and doesn't fit the 'modern metric'. In AAA we have found the pitch clock to be extremely valuable..as well as the rules on cutting down on time between innings and for pitcher changes. Making a reliever face at least 3 hitters will eliminate what I have always felt was over-managing. The number of times bringing in pitcher (wasting a pitcher) to face one hitter doesn't work enough to make it palatable. The pitch clock also greatly eliminates the totally unnecessary stepping out of the box after every pitch. Anyone here remember the time when a batter stepped into the box...and STAYED THERE Remember when a pitcher actually wanted a CG?. The emergence of batting gloves was a major culprit. And the 'closer' mentality killed CG's.

An AAA game is now being played in 2:30 to 2:45 on average. Thats doable. None of these changes ruin the essence of the game itself.

OK and to be fair, perhaps you could explain to me what some of the 4-letter + stats actually mean!! Thank you!!

#32 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,634 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 24 November 2019 - 07:03 PM

Per Doogoe: Twins kicking the tires on 3B
https://mobile.twitt...658195394310146

I think Donaldson would be great, if his signing didnt stop them from a big starting pitcher acquisition.
  • Melissa likes this

#33 Melissa

Melissa

Elizabethton Twins

• 22 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 09:31 AM

I think this observation from Matt's OP is quite insightful:

"Sometimes we have to remember that player development is not linear and this is a very difficult sport where even just being slightly off in a small facet of your game can be the difference between being a star and being AAA fodder."

• Sconnie likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano