Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Grandal to the Palehose - Looks like someone else wants to play

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,284 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:09 AM

https://www.mlbtrade...ni-grandal.html

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#2 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 828 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:15 AM

Grandal's bet paid off - 4 yr/$73M. A good move by Chicago considering their young rotation. 

• birdwatcher, Oldgoat_MN and Dman like this

#3 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,634 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:20 AM

$18.25M per year.A lot of coin for a guy who is going to catch 100 games per year and strike out 1/4 of the time.

• birdwatcher, James, nicksaviking and 5 others like this

#4 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 735 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:22 AM

$18.25M per year.A lot of coin for a guy who is going to catch 100 games per year and strike out 1/4 of the time.

Yeah but during those 100 games the pitches are going to be beautifully framed

• Tomj14 likes this

#5 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,284 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:29 AM

Grandal's bet paid off - 4 yr/$73M. A good move by Chicago considering their young rotation. 

Agreed ... Time for Falvine to up the ante and get something done to help the Twins rotation

• dbminn and Tomj14 like this

#6 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 735 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:34 AM

I'm not sure what to think of Chicago. This move just adds to the talent on the team. If that guaranteed you wins I'd say they'd be pretty dangerous. However, thinking back to some of their games last year, I feel like there were several games were they just kind of quit once they fell behind. Now maybe it was just a couple of incidences that are clouding up my hindsight or a couple late season games but that was an impression I came away with

Edited by TFRazor, 21 November 2019 - 11:35 AM.

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,628 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:46 AM

$18.25M per year. A lot of coin for a guy who is going to catch 100 games per year and strike out 1/4 of the time.

I suppose if you ignore everything else he does.... Like offense and defense and veteran leadership....
  • gunnarthor, Twins33, Oldgoat_MN and 2 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#8 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,799 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:54 AM

Interesting that Palka got DFA'd to make room. He never really got going last year due to injury although he was decent in his first full time play in 2017 - .240/.294/.484 (.778), 110 OPS+ in 450 ABs, 34% SOs.Looks like a guy who will not quite make it given his defensive shortcomings unless he gets a chance to go to a lesser team and play every day for a couple of years, and learn to cut down on the SOs. Kansas City or Detroit? Miami? Definitely not the Twins? 

• Dman likes this

#9 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,634 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:59 AM

I suppose if you ignore everything else he does.... Like offense and defense and veteran leadership....

He's a + defender and solid bat, a good player no doubt. It's still a lot of money for a guy on the wrong side of 30, who will catch 2/3 of their team's games, at least IMO.

• birdwatcher, alphanumeric and Tomj14 like this

#10 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,309 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:01 PM

McCann + Grandal = best catching combo in MLB

Maybe that’s a bit expensive, but I think it’s a good move for them.
  • Monkeypaws and Dman like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,628 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:01 PM

He's a + defender and solid bat, a good player no doubt. It's still a lot of money for a guy on the wrong side of 30, who will catch 2/3 of their team's games, at least IMO.

It is. No doubt. But they have the money, apparently. It's a fairly young team overall. I'm guessing they sign an expensive pitcher also. I suppose they could just pocket the money
  • sweetmusicviola16 likes this

#12 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 489 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:08 PM

Mets offered him 4/60 and many posters on rumors site were ripping his agency and him for not taking it. He instead winds up with 5/91.25. Good move for Grandal and also for CWS I'm betting. Now, lets hope the Twins get 2 better than Berrios SP's. If not I can see the Sox as being the team that can very quickly slam our "window" shut.

• gunnarthor and Dman like this

#13 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 489 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:10 PM

It is. No doubt. But they have the money, apparently. It's a fairly young team overall. I'm guessing they sign an expensive pitcher also. I suppose they could just pocket the money

Maybe they might want to keep their financial flexibility.......

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor, KirbyDome89 and 1 other like this

#14 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,628 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:10 PM

He's widely regarded as one of the two or three best humans on the planet at his job. I doubt he's underpaid....

#15 COTwinsFan

COTwinsFan

• 16 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:15 PM

My question with Grandal would be that he is 31 years old. How much longer is he going to be a catcher, if he isn't a catcher, is he really worth this contract?Very few catchers are able to stay at that position into there 30's. 

#16 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,628 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:20 PM

My question with Grandal would be that he is 31 years old. How much longer is he going to be a catcher, if he isn't a catcher, is he really worth this contract? Very few catchers are able to stay at that position into there 30's.

. Reasonable question.

But you can't always be afraid of the downside risk. Not if you want to win at some point.
  • Sconnie, Hosken Bombo Disco, dbminn and 2 others like this

#17 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,284 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:22 PM

My question with Grandal would be that he is 31 years old. How much longer is he going to be a catcher, if he isn't a catcher, is he really worth this contract?Very few catchers are able to stay at that position into there 30's. 

I would agree if they were playing the lion's share of games, but that just isn't the case anymore. Only a handful of catchers even qualified for leading average type statistics.Here is the list of FAs, and they are all over 30.They won't all get jobs, but the ones that do will still catch.These aren't bat first players.

Catchers

Yasmani Grandal (31 years old, 5.2 WAR) -- signed with CWS (11/21)
Robinson Chirinos (36, 2.3)
Jason Castro (33, 1.6)
Travis d’Arnaud (31, 1.6)
Alex Avila (33, 1.3)
Russell Martin (37, 1.2)
Austin Romine (31, 0.9)
Stephen Vogt (35, 0.9)
Martín Maldonado (33, 0.8)
Yan Gomes (32, 0.8)
Francisco Cervelli (34, 0.1)
René Rivera (36, 0.0)
Nick Hundley (36, -0.3)
Matt Wieters (34, -0.3)
Bryan Holaday (32, -0.3)
Drew Butera (36, -0.5)
Jonathan Lucroy (34, -0.5)
Chris Iannetta (37, -0.5)
Welington Castillo (33, -1.0)

• Mike Sixel, beckmt, Oldgoat_MN and 2 others like this

#18 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 444 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:27 PM

Grandal played 1B for 20 games last year and has DH as an option for the first time in his career.I think he contributes to more than 2/3 of the games.He had 632 Plate appearances without the DH last year.

And with the way McCann wore down last season, he could be very good in a limited role.

1st half .316/.371/.502

2nd half .226/.281/.413

Edited by SomeGuy, 21 November 2019 - 12:29 PM.

• Mike Sixel, beckmt, Otwins and 1 other like this

#19 COTwinsFan

COTwinsFan

• 16 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:27 PM

. Reasonable question.

But you can't always be afraid of the downside risk. Not if you want to win at some point.

This is something that I have evolved on in the last few years. I do agree that you can't be afraid of the downside risk, but for me personally I think a team should take those risks on elite pitchers and not on position players. Obviously this is clouded by the recency bias of the Astros and Nationals success, but I do think position players are just more replaceable. 

My position could change in the next couple years, but it seems like pitchers are just much more important especially in the playoffs and thus are more worthy of the risk. 

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, beckmt and 2 others like this

#20 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,628 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:30 PM

This is something that I have evolved on in the last few years. I do agree that you can't be afraid of the downside risk, but for me personally I think a team should take those risks on elite pitchers and not on position players. Obviously this is clouded by the recency bias of the Astros and Nationals success, but I do think position players are just more replaceable. 

My position could change in the next couple years, but it seems like pitchers are just much more important especially in the playoffs and thus are more worthy of the risk. 

Fair. I really think this calls into question paying Abreu as much as they did.......they really need to go get at least one SP....

• birdwatcher, nicksaviking and beckmt like this