Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Every Team Wants Zack Wheeler

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#81 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,228 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:32 AM

Step 1 is actually scheduling a meeting with Wheeler.

I'd think Step 1 is talking to him on the phone, which Wolfson said they did.

#82 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 341 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:52 AM

Wheeler now has an offer in hand of at least 100mil.

#83 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 499 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:32 PM

Wheeler now has an offer in hand of at least 100mil.

Yep. https://www.mlbtrade...ne-figures.html

IMO, this takes the Twins out of the running. Just too many teams to overbid and we are too cheap. We wanted a tier 1 pitcher, would settle for a tier-2 guy, but get ready folks, tier 3 it is. One step up from the dumpster. That is my prediction. Hope I'm wrong. 

#84 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 594 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:43 PM

Yep. https://www.mlbtrade...ne-figures.html

IMO, this takes the Twins out of the running. Just too many teams to overbid and we are too cheap. We wanted a tier 1 pitcher, would settle for a tier-2 guy, but get ready folks, tier 3 it is. One step up from the dumpster. That is my prediction. Hope I'm wrong.

I don’t see why this would be the case. They offered Darvish $100 million while Mauer’s salary was still on the books.
  • Twins33, nicksaviking, Vanimal46 and 2 others like this

#85 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,105 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:53 PM

If the Twins are out on Wheeler I shutter to think what the backup plan is.
  • Twins33 and SF Twins Fan like this

#86 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 499 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:56 PM

I don’t see why this would be the case. They offered Darvish $100 million while Mauer’s salary was still on the books.

And he signed for 126 million. Token offer me boy. 

I know some haven't been around for long, but until they do something different. It will always be the same old same old around this team. Johan Santana was offered a hefty contract also, so was Tori Hunter. Problem being it wasn't market value. 

Can a tiger change its stripes? Is this a new front office? Yep, it sure is and for that I will hold out hope. What I expect to happen and what I hope happen though are 2 different things. 

#87 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,014 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:16 PM

I would bet the Twins knew when they got involved that it was going to take $100M. Also, let's not take too much stock in the reported offer. Who knows maybe the offer was 6 yrs at 17M/yr. Maybe it never happened at all.

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, Twins33 and 1 other like this

#88 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• 1,084 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:19 PM

I know some haven't been around for long, but until they do something different. It will always be the same old same old around this team. Johan Santana was offered a hefty contract also, so was Tori Hunter. Problem being it wasn't market value. 

Can a tiger change its stripes? Is this a new front office? Yep, it sure is and for that I will hold out hope. What I expect to happen and what I hope happen though are 2 different things. 

A cursory look back at the Twins offer was that it was for around $100M, but only five years.The AAV was pretty similar and in the same ballpark as others.It appears the Cubs won out because they gave him 6 years.I would hardly call it a token offer unless you know that they offered it after the Cubs offered 6 years. 

• birdwatcher, Major League Ready and MN_ExPat like this

#89 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 594 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:47 PM

Teams don’t offer $100 million contracts for optics.

And I’ve been a fan since the early 90s.
  • birdwatcher and MN_ExPat like this

#90 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers Miracle

• 461 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:56 PM

Just thinking out loud here. Feels like the 5/110 prediction many of you have made is about right. 

Would you rather OFFER (because ultimately it is up to the player where he wants to sign) that $ on Wheeler, hoping he improves, or offer 6/200 to Cole, hoping he stays the same or does not fall off the cliff? 

Basically 22/yr vs 33/yr. with medium to high risk vs. very little risk (yes, I am using my own risk parameters). 

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#91 LewFordLives

LewFordLives

• 126 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:42 PM

I would do 6/200 for Cole in a heartbeat, but there's no way that gets it done.
  • nicksaviking likes this

#92 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers Miracle

• 461 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:00 PM

I would do 6/200 for Cole in a heartbeat, but there's no way that gets it done.

https://www.mlb.com/...tory-c300060780

I think you are right in that it will be a bit higher...but it is in the same ballpark as the highest paid pitchers of all time. 

#93 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers Miracle

• 461 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:28 PM

For those questioning Wheeler's worth, it appears that you are in the minority.

From an ESPN article polling 15 team execs/insiders:

"6. Of the second-tier guys, which of these free-agent starting pitchers would you most want your team to sign this winter: Madison Bumgarner, Zack Wheeler or Dallas Keuchel?

Survey says: Wheeler 8; Bumgarner 4; Keuchel 2; Three-way tie 1"

Here's a link to the entire story:

https://www.espn.com...siders-weigh-in

Edit:

Okay, so in reading the entire article, there are some detractors.

"8. Who is the one player most likely to be overpaid on a big contract this winter?

Survey says: Wheeler 4; Grandal 2 (Grandal signed with the White Sox after our survey was complete); Nicholas Castellanos 1; Daniel Hudson 1; 7 respondents declined to answer."

Sorry to get a bit off topic. Castellanos is one of the best hitters in the game and is still 27. He's going to get overpaid? 

#94 LewFordLives

LewFordLives

• 126 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:19 PM

I wonder if all these rumors about the White Sox interest in Wheeler is part of an effort to extract more money from the Twins.

#95 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,105 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:48 AM

No Twins on the list :(

#96 Diesel

Diesel

Ft Myers Miracle

• 316 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:36 AM

No Twins on the list :(

If the twins can get Bumgarner or Ryu, I think we will all be content. I don’t think Wheeler is worth 110 million. I think he’s slightly better than odorizzi. Can easily find a trade too with all of the prospects in the system.

#97 HawksNest

HawksNest

Ft Myers Miracle

• 321 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:46 AM

Both Olney and Rosenthal do NOT have Twins listed among finalists for Wheeler in tweets/stories from this morning.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that "impact" pitching will have to come via trade. Just really don't see this team changing 60+ years of doing things one way to just completely transform into an organization that drops $100+ million on free agents.

Hope I'm wrong, but how could you possibly think any other way? Until proven otherwise, this seems to be the default position for 99.9% of fans.

#98 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 341 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:19 AM

Both Olney and Rosenthal do NOT have Twins listed among finalists for Wheeler in tweets/stories from this morning.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that "impact" pitching will have to come via trade. Just really don't see this team changing 60+ years of doing things one way to just completely transform into an organization that drops $100+ million on free agents.

Hope I'm wrong, but how could you possibly think any other way? Until proven otherwise, this seems to be the default position for 99.9% of fans.

The problem with this strategy is that every team that has good pitching is looking for more and not looking to trade what they have. The teams that might be looking to trade away pitching don't have much to trade away, certainly not much in the way of impact players. Very likely the only way to get better in this market is to shell out the money.Wheeler is the 3rd best SP available this season and we only have 2 SP on board. If we won't shell out with the team we have and the needs we have then we never will.

• Twins33, Battle ur tail off and HawksNest like this

#99 akmanak

akmanak

Ft Myers Miracle

• 430 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:37 AM

Lol, The Twins will never sign Wheeler or any pitcher close to Wheeler unless they only request 6 million a year or less.

Time and time again we hear the same song and dance regarding this organization being so close to signing a big name player only to fall short .

Until they are sold they will continue to seek pitchers through their farm system and hope for the best.
  • sweetmusicviola16 likes this

#100 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,228 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:39 AM

https://www.mlb.com/...tory-c300060780

I think you are right in that it will be a bit higher...but it is in the same ballpark as the highest paid pitchers of all time. 

The problem is, if you pass on all the other pitchers waiting around for Cole and A ) his offer ends up being something crazy like 275M or B ) he doesn't have interest in coming here, the team is screwed.

As much as I want Cole, the Twins have to make sure they secure pitching help, and gambling that they can get the best pitcher in the game when he's ready to negotiate in February risks securing nothing.

• SF Twins Fan and sweetmusicviola16 like this