Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Every Team Wants Zack Wheeler

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#201 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,719 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:03 AM

Not really. They still pay the $100M he's worth to them. They just add a $25M Stupidity Tax for not having developed their own Wheeler themselves.

Free Agency is all about paying the Stupidity Tax.

Two wrongs don't make a right. If there truly was a Stupidity Tax, by the time it was our favorite teams turn to pay, Twins Daily would be a distant memory.

#202 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,311 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:12 AM

Matt Wisler says hi.

Tyler Duffey says hi too. Both mid-round draft choices who struggled mightily. Maybe he goes the way of Matt Magill. Maybe he goes the way of Tyler Duffey. He's exactly the kind of chance good clubs take if they have any conviction and confidence in scouting and development.

• howieramone2 likes this

#203 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,311 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:43 AM

My least favorite whiney phrase: "trying hard."

First of all, you don't know they did, even by your own definition.

Second, more importantly, "they tried hard" is a fancy way of describing failure. The end result of trying hard and failing is...failing.

Exactly the same as not trying. Exactly.

And spare me the "lots of FAs dont work out" line, too. Unless you believe Falvine made zero effort to sign Wheeler, because they believe he will fail, that's just post mortem rationalization. If they DID "try hard" then they believe he will be successful.

Not signing Wheeler is a failure. A lost battle in the war.

We agree then that the phrase "try hard" should be eliminated from the TD vocabulary. I don't recall defining effort, just have disdain for false, overly harsh, and unfair negative portrayals, of anyone.

I accept that you choose to focus exclusively on results. Like 101 wins, right?;)

Some of us get enjoyment from theorizing about the decision processes as well. So spare me the "only thing that matters is results", and please refrain from implying that, if a guy like me wants to theorize about what might have been the factors involved in, for example, the Wheeler negotiations, that it's post mortem rationalization on my part. There's a difference between seeking an understanding, having a high tolerance for mistakes, and making excuses.

You want to say Falvey failed because he failed to close the deal with Wheeler. I have no objection to that, my friend. I agree in fact. One can acknowledge a failure without being critical. I think we have a friendly disagreement about how much criticism is warranted in the Wheeler case, and as we know, we'll find other similar opportunities in the future,;)

• USAFChief likes this

#204 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,440 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:44 AM

Yes, the same one that employed Jason Tyner at DH.:rolleyes:

And didn't have Liriano.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#205 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,440 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:48 AM

You've defined "impact pitching" too narrowly. You've confused it with buying the most expensive thing on the menu. By the end of the 2020 season, we will be able to look back and see a dozen or more examples of "impact pitching", many of which are not apparent at this moment.

I agree.

The problem is, you need to name them before the 2020 season, not after. 

• birdwatcher and jud6312 like this

#206 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,440 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:49 AM

Not signing Wheeler is a failure. A lost battle in the war.

We agree then that the phrase "try hard" should be eliminated from the TD vocabulary. I don't recall defining effort, just have disdain for false, overly harsh, and unfair negative portrayals, of anyone.

I accept that you choose to focus exclusively on results. Like 101 wins, right?;)

Some of us get enjoyment from theorizing about the decision processes as well. So spare me the "only thing that matters is results", and please refrain from implying that, if a guy like me wants to theorize about what might have been the factors involved in, for example, the Wheeler negotiations, that it's post mortem rationalization on my part. There's a difference between seeking an understanding, having a high tolerance for mistakes, and making excuses.

You want to say Falvey failed because he failed to close the deal with Wheeler. I have no objection to that, my friend. I agree in fact. One can acknowledge a failure without being critical. I think we have a friendly disagreement about how much criticism is warranted in the Wheeler case, and as we know, we'll find other similar opportunities in the future,;)

Sadly, we won't have many such disagreements prior to the 2020 season, I fear. ;)

• birdwatcher likes this

#207 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,311 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:59 AM

Sadly, we won't have many such disagreements prior to the 2020 season, I fear. ;)

Yeah, the FA situation is looking grim. Our pal Mike Sixel may have been right in his concern about rebuilding the rotation for 2020, we'll see.

#208 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 594 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:00 PM

And didn't have Liriano.

???

https://www.baseball...liriafr01.shtml

#209 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 499 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:03 PM

He's right. Liriano didn't pitch in the postseason for the Twins until 2009. By this time he had already blown out his arm and had TJ surgery.

#210 spycake

spycake

• 17,125 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:04 PM

The group that got swept in the ALDS didn't have Liriano, as he was injured.

#211 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,440 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:05 PM

In which ALDS did get swept with both Santana and Liriano in the rotation?

#212 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 594 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:45 PM

In which ALDS did get swept with both Santana and Liriano in the rotation?

Right. I forgot 2006 was Liriano’s surgery year.
  • USAFChief likes this

#213 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,415 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:30 PM

Not really. They still pay the $100M he's worth to them. They just add a $25M Stupidity Tax for not having developed their own Wheeler themselves.

Free Agency is all about paying the Stupidity Tax.

This is the best description of free agency on the planet. 

• ashbury, birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and 2 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#214 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,415 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:33 PM

I'm a value guy... I frequently question why you would pay a guy millions if a guy making 600K can produce the same.

However... when it comes to free agency. You can’t approach it with a spreadsheet.

If you want the guy, you got to outbid the other guy.

The guy's agent and the other guys bidding for him may not be aware or care what your spreadsheet says.

Hard lines will force you to sign your 6th choice instead of your 1st choice.
  • Mr. Brooks and Battle ur tail off like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!