Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Jhoan Duran Headlines Twins Roster Additions

luke raley gilberto celestino dakota chalmers jhoan duran travis blankenhorn
  • Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,662 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:26 PM

Anderson was traded before the deadline. In fact, I think it was announced with the additions.The reason was so that the Marlins could add him to their 40-man roster.

The Twins could try to trade a non-added player. Let's use Jax as the example, and I think you may have answered your own question. Those guys can't be added to the 40-man now, so the acquiring team would then risk them being taken. 

It's the same reason that teams generally try to not announce their minor league signings until after the Rule 5, so they don't have to risk losing them. You may recall that one year the Twins signed RA Dickey to a minor league deal, then a week later the Mariners Rule 5d him. 

Likewise, a guy like Jax's value does go back up immediately after the Rule 5 draft, if he isn't selected because now the team has a year to determine if they would want to add him... but that is also true for the Twins. 

Thanks Seth, that's what I thought.

What is more exciting is that none of Lewis, Rooker, Kirilloff, Larnach, and Balazovic have been around long enough so that they needed to be added this year.Heck, wouldn't surprise me if all of them get added during the season next year because they have played their way onto the team.   

• DocBauer, wabene, IAMNFan and 1 other like this

#42 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,035 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:01 PM

Thanks Seth, that's what I thought.

What is more exciting is that none of Lewis, Rooker, Kirilloff, Larnach, and Balazovic have been around long enough so that they needed to be added this year. Heck, wouldn't surprise me if all of them get added during the season next year because they have played their way onto the team.

Barring trades, of course, it is not out of the question that ALL of these guys are part of the 2021 team and most, if not all, debuting at some point this coming year.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#43 twinstalker

twinstalker

• 294 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:51 PM

I thought Celestino was a virtual lock the way he crush the ball midseason. I pass on Raley and Blank, neither of whom I see as an eventual regular. Rijo and Javier?Well, Rijo for sure is a bad decision, and Javier, if you're trying to sneak him through, is, too. But they may just feel Javier isn't any good.

Unless teams know something I don't about these guys, Rijo is gone for sure and Javier might well be.We'll see. I hope as we're cutting Travis Blankenhorn and Rijo is becoming a great prospect, Falvine will ask themselves what the the hell they were thinking.

As much as I love the front office, they've made some head-shaking decisions.

Also, how in the world does Raley stand out? He seems so AAAA.

#44 IAMNFan

IAMNFan

Elizabethton Twins

• 36 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:23 AM

More interesting to me is, that the roster sits at 37, so Wheeler, Pineda & Romo?Prospects are great, but reality says that 1/2 of those guys won't make it here and 1 or 2 could be gone before season.And if the Twins are going to make a serious run this year, we need to hope that 1 or 2 of them is no longer on the 40.

#45 IAMNFan

IAMNFan

Elizabethton Twins

• 36 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:29 AM

Celestino is the one I am least surprised by.He is the eventual insurance for Buxton.We need CF players more than corner fielders.I do not see Raley prospering here, but he could be part of a trade package.If they thought he was going to be taken they would know that there is a potential market that they can exploit. 

Duran and Celestino are the only two I would truly want to protect, but I would expect there are other considerations for protecting them.

Rooker, Lanarch, Raley, etc., are fun to think about to replace Rosario.But an outfield of Celestino, Buxton & Kepler would be fun too.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: luke raley, gilberto celestino, dakota chalmers, jhoan duran, travis blankenhorn