Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Eddie Rosario's Actual Value Is an Offseason Sticking Point

eddie rosario
  • Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,389 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:11 PM

The side discussion on Prospects has been moved to it's own thread in the "Other Baseball" forum. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#82 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,018 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:05 PM

The side discussion on Prospects has been moved to it's own thread in the "Other Baseball" forum.

Isn’t it relevant in a thread asking what Eddie Rosario value should be? Isn’t the flip side what value others have in comparison to receive a return of a superstar major league player?

Edited by AZTwin, 21 November 2019 - 11:17 PM.

#83 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,389 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:16 PM

Isn’t it relevant in discussion about Eddie Rosario trade value and what we should expect in return for a superstar major league player?

It certainly is... but not directly anymore. The discussion has started to evolve away from Rosario specifically and I think the subject is interesting so I was hoping that everyone would be able to focus on this discussion in it's own spot. 

I believe this debate is important and interesting. 

If you want to continue on the Rosario topic... You can and you can still use the points you are making. 

In a nutshell, I just believe you started a great separate topic so I started a thread to house it. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#84 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 220 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:28 AM

I think we will get a pretty fair estimation of his value once we start hearing contract offers for Marcel Ozuna and Nick Castellanos.

What kind of numbers are you getting for Ozuna? Ozuna will frustrate any NL team with his sporadic defense. And his hot and cold hitting as well. Perhaps if your park gives up a lot of HRs. He has a shoulder issue.

Castellanos had 88 extra base hits. His defense leaves a little bit to be desired. If he could have another 80 xbh season great though 5 years seems like paying for a couple down years.
  • big dog likes this

#85 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 220 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 02:00 PM

If you were to trade starting position players that are about to get expensive I would trade those who did well against the teams that lost 89 or more and poorly against the pennant contenders.

I think you can win the division title in the worst division in baseball since division play began.

#86 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,877 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:34 PM

I think you can win the division title in the worst division in baseball since division play began.

Uh, thank you? :)

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#87 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,063 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 23 November 2019 - 07:56 PM

I agree that advanced analytics provide great insight into a player's true value. WAR does matter, as does OBPS and the rest of 'em. That said, just because we are embracing these newish statistical categories, it doesn't mean that the rest goes in the garbage can.

A .276 batting average with 32 home runs and 109 RBI? That matters too.

Also, let's look at Yasiel Puig and Yadi Molina, who also had 1.2 WAR ratings - same as Rosie. Those two guys are vastly different in what they bring to their respective teams, don't you agree? You can't judge a player based on this stat alone.

• Sconnie likes this

#88 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 220 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 02:43 PM

Uh, thank you? :)

The Twins were 32-37 playing teams .500 or better. Has a team ever won 101 games or more, but, did so poorly against winning teams? I pointed out if you were going to trade regulars don't trade the ones that did well against winning teams.

I hate the Yankees and Red Sox and am always happy when they are beaten in the postseason. Hard to believe a team could lose so many playoff games in a row to the Yankees without getting a little lucky.

#89 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,499 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:11 PM

You trade Rosario if the return makes the 2020 Twins better. I can't see that happening but if possible... Yeah go ahead obviously. 

Short of that... He will be on the roster in 2020 and he will help us win games. He has talent and he can really really exhibit even more talent if he improves that plate discipline. 

The is the most reasonable post in this thread IMO.Eddie has more value in 2020 to the Twins than what he would get back in return.There is no one knocking on the door to take his spot right now and he is still a big time thread with the bat.  

• SQUIRREL, jorgenswest and Riverbrian like this

#90 peterb18

peterb18

• 150 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:54 PM

All I know is that he can do three things in baseball that most can do only one or two.

and that is: Steal a base, hit a home run, and throw a runner out. I’ve said this before.

And he has that intangible thing and charisma that all teams need.

#91 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,205 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:09 PM

All I know is that he can do three things in baseball that most can do only one or two.

and that is: Steal a base, hit a home run, and throw a runner out. I’ve said this before.

In another thread today (I forget which one) somebody said he'd be traded midseason. I can't even fathom that. It's obvious from the stands or TV that he's a clubhouse favorite.

#92 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• 1,082 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 12:00 AM

One of these things is not like the others...

Rosario has stolen 36 bases in 5 years and been caught stealing 19 times. Sure, he "can" steal bases, but with that success rate he probably shouldn't be.

• Twins33 and Mr. Brooks like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eddie rosario