Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Astros Being Investigated for Using Tech to Steal Pitching Signs

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#21 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,473 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:29 PM

It's all fun and games until the breaking stuff is called a strike. :)

I'd have to check, whether any of this drum banging occurred with two strikes.

• Blake likes this

If your attack appears to be going well, then you're in an ambush.

#22 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,176 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:47 PM

I'd have to check, whether any of this drum banging occurred with two strikes.

Not sure what provoked this memory, but, here's a bad yet hilarious video.

• ashbury and David HK like this

#23 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,155 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:44 AM

https://www.espn.com...ing-accusations

• birdwatcher and Mike Frasier Law like this

#24 dex8425

dex8425

Ft Myers Miracle

• 253 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:07 AM

After reviewing the video footage, it's so obvious that something was going on. Even Farquhar caught it. The Astros couldn't have been that concerned about getting caught.

Instead of banging on a trashcan in the dugout, why not have a small receiver inside the batter's helmet? Put it underneath the foam pads so you couldn't see it when Polanco loses his helmet. How about a vibrating receiver that looks like a heart rate monitor underneath the batter's clothes? There are so many possibilities that would be difficult to detect that make me think all teams are stealing signs with technology. There is so much money at stake.

I'd love to think sign stealing with tech is not going on, but it's so easy to do with wifi and high speed pan and zoom cameras today. Heck, my wyze security cameras are 20 bucks each, they are pretty small, and they can relay what's going on at my house to any phone anywhere 24/7. 

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:24 AM

I hate sign stealing. It's not part of the play, but outside it. But there is virtually no way to eliminate it, alas.
  • Mike Frasier Law likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#26 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,864 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:51 AM

I hate sign stealing. It's not part of the play, but outside it. But there is virtually no way to eliminate it, alas.

You could use encrypted electronic communication between the bench, catcher, and pitcher.

if we’re going to replace umpires with technology we might as well go all in.

• nicksaviking, ericchri, snap4birds and 1 other like this

I always wanted to know what it would be like to simultaneously experience the 1918 flu,  Great Depression, and 1968 mass protests while Andrew Johnson was president.

#27 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,744 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:06 AM

You could use encrypted electronic communication between the bench, catcher, and pitcher.

if we’re going to replace umpires with technology we might as well go all in.

I like the idea, but it would be a significant change in the game in that the catcher would no longer be calling pitches as obviously the batter could hear him talking.

But really, if teams were OK with breaking the mold, I'd think a pitching coach would more often than not be the ideal person to make the calls anyway.

I might expect a small possibility of a drastic swing away from offense in the game as unlike the catcher, the pitching coach or whomever is calling pitches, would have real time analytics at his fingertips. I'd be interested in seeing how it plays out though.

#28 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,864 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:32 AM

I like the idea, but it would be a significant change in the game in that the catcher would no longer be calling pitches as obviously the batter could hear him talking.

But really, if teams were OK with breaking the mold, I'd think a pitching coach would more often than not be the ideal person to make the calls anyway.

I might expect a small possibility of a drastic swing away from offense in the game as unlike the catcher, the pitching coach or whomever is calling pitches, would have real time analytics at his fingertips. I'd be interested in seeing how it plays out though.

Yes, the bench would actually be calling the pitches.

It's another fine step into turning baseball into a video game.

• birdwatcher and tony&rodney like this

I always wanted to know what it would be like to simultaneously experience the 1918 flu,  Great Depression, and 1968 mass protests while Andrew Johnson was president.

#29 spycake

spycake

• 17,697 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM

If you watch carefully, it's clear that the bongo player is signaling something to the singer -- perhaps about the arrival of the floating motorcycle lady? In any case, this should prevent Marc Bolan from ever getting into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.

• birdwatcher, Blake, nicksaviking and 4 others like this

#30 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,394 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:36 AM

Do more “quick pitches”

Problem solved.

(Only half joking)
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#31 gman

gman

Ft Myers Miracle

• 252 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:15 PM

Everybody wears a tech watch these days. Relay the pitch selection to the batter via speaker in the watch. Oh wait a moment, that's not to subtle.

#32 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:37 PM

The fact that the Astros are doing an internal investigation is laughable... Hopefully Manfred drops a hammer on them with significant fines, loss of draft picks and IFA pool money.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#33 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,841 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:48 PM

The fact that there is, in fact, no way to enforce sign-stealing (of the non-electronic variety) is precisely why the teams are responsible to change/improve/conceal methods of delivering signs.

Also, I think stealing pitch signs is over-rated. For instance, there's current internet chatter about 'forgiving' Darvish for his performance in the 2017 WS coming off this news. Except, Darvish got hammered in game 7...at Dodger stadium. Even when signs are being stolen, there's seldom opportunity where the batter can be 100% sure the signs haven't been changed since the last mound visit or last half-inning. And you still don't know the location. Meanwhile, great hitters can guess speed and location with a pretty high degree of accuracy, without stealing signs. Many have even said they don't want the information, feeling it will just screw them up when, inevitably sooner or later, it will be wrong.

Having said that, using center-field cameras should be enforceable, and should not go unpunished, IMO.

Note: it's my understanding that this can't be accomplish via center-field broadcast images due to the several second time-delay for broadcasts. Have to deploy a closed-circuit system.

• David HK likes this

#34 Hrbowski

Hrbowski

Minnesota Twins

• 2,581 posts
  • LocationA small town city

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:18 PM

The fact that the Astros are doing an internal investigation is laughable... Hopefully Manfred drops a hammer on them with significant fines, loss of draft picks and IFA pool money.

The 29 other teams are doing it too. If they are going to punish one team, they need to punish them all.

I hate Trevor Bauer.

#35 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:57 PM

The 29 other teams are doing it too. If they are going to punish one team, they need to punish them all.

We don't know at all that is true. Estimates I've read put it at 5-7 more teams using technology.....If it is a rule, it should be enforced. Otherwise, get rid of the rule.

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, Blake and 2 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#36 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,744 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:23 PM

Seems odd that Danny Farquhar would complain about it if his team was doing it too.
  • birdwatcher likes this

#37 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,473 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:57 AM

• Blake, Hrbowski and David HK like this

If your attack appears to be going well, then you're in an ambush.

#38 Hrbowski

Hrbowski

Minnesota Twins

• 2,581 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:31 PM

I also find it humorous that the Astros were a better offensive team on the road in 2017...

• Riverbrian likes this

I hate Trevor Bauer.

#39 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:07 PM

I also find it humorous that the Astros were a better offensive team on the road in 2017...

You don't think they had a system on the road?

• Blake, Mike Sixel and gunnarthor like this

#40 Hrbowski

Hrbowski

Minnesota Twins

• 2,581 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:24 PM

You don't think they had a system on the road?

Wouldn't be possible to operate their own camera on the road like they could at home. TV broadcasts are delayed several seconds from real time, so they couldn't just use any old TV stream. Few stadiums allow seating in the batters eye, so it would typically be impossible to have a scout relaying signs from the stands. So yeah, I doubt they had a system on the road other than the more orthodox systems of sign stealing such as from the first base coach's box.

I hate Trevor Bauer.