Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Astros Being Investigated for Using Tech to Steal Pitching Signs

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,102 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:17 PM

I can no longer say I want the Twins to emulate the Astros. Bush league maneuver to use cameras in order to steal signs.
  • USAFChief, birdwatcher, gunnarthor and 9 others like this

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,102 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:19 PM

Here's a video breakdown of how they conveyed the pitch to hitters. WARNING: There's swearing in the video.

• ashbury, gunnarthor, Mike Frasier Law and 3 others like this

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,203 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:26 PM

I really do like the blending of new school tech with old school garbage can banging communication. It's a truly great compromise to appease the purists who only like sign stealing via dodgy "fan" in the outfield with binoculars and a walkie-talkie.

But I hope the MLB takes away all their draft picks and caps their international free agent budget at $50.

I don't even care if the Astros are guilty, I hope they do it just because.

• Blake, scottz, REPETE and 4 others like this

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,203 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:37 PM

Manfred has previously threatened to take away draft picks if organizations partake in shenanigans. I then think it's only fair that Houston is prohibited from making any offers to any free agents tied to draft pick compensation until this investigation clears up.

Which I then hope is approximately April.

• big dog likes this

#5 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,300 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:39 PM

shocker

• Han Joelo and Mike Sixel like this

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,102 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:41 PM

Makes me that much more happy that Washington won the WS this year.
  • SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, gunnarthor and 4 others like this

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,131 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:56 PM

Apparently this process is based on another team's process....so they aren't alone.

That said, I hope they take away picks and whatever else.......

• gunnarthor likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#8 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,411 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:13 PM

Apparently this process is based on another team's process....so they aren't alone.

That said, I hope they take away picks and whatever else.......

Yeah I’m wondering if there is an iceberg under that tip.
  • gunnarthor and PDX Twin like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#9 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Owner
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:18 PM

I liked the 1951 New York Giants' system better, to be honest. 

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#10 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,145 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:26 PM

Stealing signs is all well and good, but, still have to hit the ball.

• h2oface likes this

#11 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,687 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:36 PM

Blasphemous to steal signs, or try to, but a great talent to steal the pitch and fool/cheat the umpire with pitch framing. One maybe gives the batter an advantage. The other cheats the actual outcome of the pitch.

OK to steal signs with no tech, but criminal to steal signs with tech. OK to figure out a tell, or how a pitcher tips his pitches, and then share that, but criminal to figure out a series of 10 hand signals with video.

Sometimes I just don't understand the outrage, or the distinctive difference, on what is a great talent to quantify, and what is "cheating". I hate pitch framing cheating the most, and it is still a thing, when it can easily be eliminated.

Edited by h2oface, 12 November 2019 - 04:42 PM.

• PDX Twin likes this

#12 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,885 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:49 PM

Stealing signs is all well and good, but, still have to hit the ball.

Well, sure. But if major-league batters are allowed to sell out to the fastball, and can ignore being fooled with something offspeed, an awful lot of them turn into Babe Ruth.

• USAFChief, gunnarthor, PseudoSABR and 3 others like this

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#13 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,847 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:16 PM

Here's a video breakdown of how they conveyed the pitch to hitters. WARNING: There's swearing in the video.

I believe it. I’m glad that Twitter guy did that work. Eventually I’d like to see more evidence and also something from the 2017 postseason.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#14 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,183 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:30 PM

This is really entertaining; however until the MLB establishes rules(*) against stealing signs, no written rule was broken and no punishment should be doled out, other than unwritten rules one.

(*) There is a "directive" against stealing signs by electronic means.The Red Sox were found guilty of that and got a slap on the hand (fine of undisclosed amount) as a penalty.

• Mike Frasier Law and h2oface like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#15 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 968 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:46 PM

I always thought this was a possibility, I mean, the commentators are calling the pitches before they are thrown because they see the signs on the monitor.

Not sure how to constrain the ability to cheat on this. 

A guy could carry a silent buzzer in one pocket, just for the change-up. It could all be done remotely.

Houston, we got problems here.

#16 mickeymental

mickeymental

• 1,380 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:15 PM

crazy as hell.

years ago, in a competitive 28-and-over league, my team had a first-base coach with a knack for seeing the signs that opposing catchers put down. on days that it worked (some catchers held their legs closer together than others), he'd say our hitter's first name for fastball ("come on, johnny") and last name for offspeed ("you're due, johnson"). it often worked like a charm, gave us a tremendous advantage and really let you relax in the batter's box. no opponent ever caught on and, in my opinion, it was well within baseball's unwritten rules. 

but i believe that using a camera (or even binoculars) crosses a line. and in houston's case, it sounds like the yankees caught on -- and houston denied and changed the signal. which seems like VERY dirty pool.

One way to stop it might be to always give three sets of signs (like when a runner is on second base) and only the pitcher and defense know which signal is the real one.

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, SwainZag and 2 others like this

#17 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,131 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:50 PM

Blasphemous to steal signs, or try to, but a great talent to steal the pitch and fool/cheat the umpire with pitch framing. One maybe gives the batter an advantage. The other cheats the actual outcome of the pitch.

OK to steal signs with no tech, but criminal to steal signs with tech. OK to figure out a tell, or how a pitcher tips his pitches, and then share that, but criminal to figure out a series of 10 hand signals with video.

Sometimes I just don't understand the outrage, or the distinctive difference, on what is a great talent to quantify, and what is "cheating". I hate pitch framing cheating the most, and it is still a thing, when it can easily be eliminated.

Of course, pitch framing is just a fancy word for sets a good target and other things....and is about getting a strike called correctly more than getting a ball called a strike.....they aren't the same thing as stealing signs at all. It's part of the actual play, for example, among other differences.

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, Mike Frasier Law and 6 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#18 Hrbowski

Hrbowski

Minnesota Twins

• 2,578 posts
  • LocationA small town city

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:50 PM

It has long been acknowledged in the industry that the majority of teams are doing this.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

#19 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,145 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:52 PM

Well, sure. But if major-league batters are allowed to sell out to the fastball, and can ignore being fooled with something offspeed, an awful lot of them turn into Babe Ruth.

It's all fun and games until the breaking stuff is called a strike. :)

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,739 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:28 PM

Robo umps takes care of one of those problems.. and I'm in favor of that..

The other is players playing vs. someone helping them... pretty big difference in my opinion. 

• birdwatcher, nicksaviking, Sconnie and 1 other like this