Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Tim Lincecum?

denard span minnesota twins tim lincecum
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 BBWriterMan

BBWriterMan

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

I know it's unrealistic in a lot of ways, but does anyone else but me see Tim Lincecum as a possible trade target for the Twins?

It occurs to me the Giants may need an outfielder like Denard Span, even if they win the World Series with Gregor Blanco and Angel Pagan manning left and center frequently.

That also assumes the rumors the Giants will make him available are true, but I also don't see there being a ton of potential trade partners since he's due $22 million next year.

#2 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

Twins won't take on Lincecum's contract.

#3 BBWriterMan

BBWriterMan

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

Yeah, but I do think the Giants will have to pay some of that money next year to get a deal done with anyone if they are serious about unloading him.

#4 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

Lincecum in the rotation, ARod at third. Maybe TR can talk the Angels into dumping Pujols' and Wells' contracts on us too.

#5 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

I wish the FO had the balls to do this, but his contract works totally against a deal. Timmy had a bad year, but he kept the Ks up, which makes me think there's some aberration in his overall numbers, and a home court like Target Field might dramatically improve his numbers. He's signed (I believe) through '13 for 22 mil, and than an FA. So that's a no go.

Moreover, the way he's pitched in relief, his trajectory is towards the role of closer. 2013 will be an interesting year for the Freak.

But we can dream, right? Maybe the Giants pick up a chunk of salary, maybe the Twins sign the guy to a team friendly deal. Then again, signing Grienke and trading Span for other parts makes even more sense--since, after all, we're dreaming.

#6 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Giants moving Tim Lincecum to the bullpen next year has a better chance of happening than them trading him.

Heyman says Lincecum's "unreal popularity" in San Francisco, as well as his $22 million salary for 2013, are reasons why he almost surely will not be traded. The plan for now, according to Heyman, is for Lincecum to be back in the rotation next year "with a couple adjustments to his mechanics and offseason routine." However, some people with the Giants think he's "more equipped for the pen at the moment" because he's "in shape for shorter bursts and perhaps not the longer hauls required to start." The Giants are pretty well set up in their bullpen, especially if Brian Wilson can come back strong from Tommy John surgery. It would be surprising if Lincecum isn't part of the 2013 rotation.

Source: CBSSports.com

#7 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that Mike Redmond "hit it out of the park" during his interview for the Marlins' managerial vacancy Wednesday.

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Brewers are "seriously considering a run" at impending free agent Josh Hamilton.

#8 gilesferrell

gilesferrell

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that Mike Redmond "hit it out of the park" during his interview for the Marlins' managerial vacancy Wednesday.

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Brewers are "seriously considering a run" at impending free agent Josh Hamilton.

I really would love to see "Red Dog" manage in the big leagues. But Miami is not an easy place for a manager.

Also, I've read some scenarios that has Span going to SF for Lincecum and the Giants pick up some of his salary. No scenario is worth sending Span to SF for Lincecum. Span has to be moved in the right deal. His contract is very team friendly.
"They are the team Minnesota deserves, not the one they need right now."

#9 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:11 AM

Lincecum in the rotation, ARod at third. Maybe TR can talk the Angels into dumping Pujols' and Wells' contracts on us too.

with curlys track record on trades he would screw up trading span sano and gibson for wells, he would throw in an extra 100 million to pay for there future payroll..when will people realise terry is the problem ...not the answer

#10 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:12 AM

with curlys track record on trades he would screw up trading span sano and gibson for wells, he would throw in an extra 100 million to pay for there future payroll..when will people realise terry is the problem ...not the answer

can anyone tell me the last time curly made a good trade?

#11 sorney

sorney

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

Timmy would be classic definition of buying low....if taking on $22M (not to mention whatever trade asset is needed to complete the trade) can be called buying low.

#12 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

Timmy had a bad year, but he kept the Ks up, which makes me think there's some aberration in his overall numbers, and a home court like Target Field might dramatically improve his numbers.

AT&T park is one of the 5 best pitchers park in baseball and allowed the least amount of HR in baseball. Target Field is the 10th best hitter's park. (Source: http://espn.go.com/m...tats/parkfactor )

So he'd be better coming here AND facing AL lineups?

I personally feel he'll have a bounce back year next year...he's been too good for too long to think it was all a fluke. He'll get his issues fixed and be back to being a fine pitcher next year

Edited by ThePuck, 26 October 2012 - 06:53 AM.

#13 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

[quote name='johnnydakota'][quote name='johnnydakota'][quote name='USAFChief']

with curlys track record on trades he would screw up trading span sano and gibson for wells, he would throw in an extra 100 million to pay for there future payroll..when will people realise terry is the problem ...not the answer[/QUOTE]

can anyone tell me the last time curly made a good trade?[/QUOTE]

If you even bothered to remember AJ for Nathan and Liriano worked out pretty good, Romero for Casilla wasn't exactly a bad trade. Picking up Castillo and Stewart for very little worked out. Trading for decent minor leaguers or players with 1-2 years service has been Ryan's specialty. Trading veterans after their fifth season was also what he did. For what Ryan traded in the past he did not have leading up to 2012.

#14 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

[quote name='old nurse'][quote name='johnnydakota'][quote name='johnnydakota'][quote name='USAFChief']

with curlys track record on trades he would screw up trading span sano and gibson for wells, he would throw in an extra 100 million to pay for there future payroll..when will people realise terry is the problem ...not the answer[/QUOTE]

If you even bothered to remember AJ for Nathan and Liriano worked out pretty good, Romero for Casilla wasn't exactly a bad trade. Picking up Castillo and Stewart for very little worked out. Trading for decent minor leaguers or players with 1-2 years service has been Ryan's specialty. Trading veterans after their fifth season was also what he did. For what Ryan traded in the past he did not have leading up to 2012.[/QUOTE]

Actually Ryan has done pretty well in trades. It's the free agency side he's been behind on.

Buck Buchanan for Jason Bartlett was a pretty good trade, as was Eric Milton for Carlos Silva and Nick Punto. Maybe not blockbuster deals, but the Twins definitely didn't lose those trades.

#15 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,816 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

I would consider it if the Giants would eat 7 million or more of his salary....but I do not see it happening.

#16 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,510 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

I wish the FO had the balls to do this, but his contract works totally against a deal. Timmy had a bad year, but he kept the Ks up, which makes me think there's some aberration in his overall numbers, and a home court like Target Field might dramatically improve his numbers. He's signed (I believe) through '13 for 22 mil, and than an FA. So that's a no go.

Moreover, the way he's pitched in relief, his trajectory is towards the role of closer. 2013 will be an interesting year for the Freak.

But we can dream, right? Maybe the Giants pick up a chunk of salary, maybe the Twins sign the guy to a team friendly deal. Then again, signing Grienke and trading Span for other parts makes even more sense--since, after all, we're dreaming.

As you said, it doesn't make a lot of sense. The Twins would want Lincecum for a song, the Giants would want to hold onto him and hope he rebounds. He doesn't have much time left on his contract so under the best of circumstances, he's not a long-term solution for the Twins, who badly need long-term pitching solutions.

It makes more sense for the Twins to pursue a Span trade that brings back a minor league pitcher and then hit the FA market.

#17 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

Lincecum will eventually end up in Seattle, maybe not 2013 but 2014 for sure.

#18 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

NO. Terrible idea. Terry Ryan needs to find a bargain bin player for the back of our rotation AFTER we sign a few legit starters. Signing Lincecum would be a the opposite of bargain, get a bad player on the decline, for a huge sum of money. Even if SF eats 10 mil, we will still be paying a bullpen arm 12 million dollars. His fastball velocity is way down and his delivery is very Japanish. I think this season is the norm, not the exception. Think Dontrelle Willis.

#19 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

It doesn't make sense since the Twins shouldn't be building for 2013. At least go after someone that is signed for 2 years. I think Lincecum could be an interesting topic for next offseason though.

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

wasn't there a big drop in Lincy's velocity this year?

#21 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

[quote name='old nurse'][quote name='johnnydakota'][quote name='johnnydakota'][quote name='USAFChief']

If you even bothered to remember AJ for Nathan and Liriano worked out pretty good, Romero for Casilla wasn't exactly a bad trade. Picking up Castillo and Stewart for very little worked out. Trading for decent minor leaguers or players with 1-2 years service has been Ryan's specialty. Trading veterans after their fifth season was also what he did. For what Ryan traded in the past he did not have leading up to 2012.[/QUOTE]

When you're cutting and pasting quotes, get 'em correct. That isn't my quote you've attributed to me.

#22 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:09 PM

[quote name='USAFChief'][quote name='old nurse'][quote name='johnnydakota'][quote name='johnnydakota'][quote name='USAFChief']

When you're cutting and pasting quotes, get 'em correct. That isn't my quote you've attributed to me.[/QUOTE]
the aj trade was a fluke , curly stated several times he only makes the trade if boof bonser is included. as the boofster is the key player in the deal and the other thing is how many years ago was that trade?
as for cutting and pasting i just clicked on quotes then typed if the system screwd up dont blame me

#23 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

so your saying trading a left handed reliever with an era of 3.12 to the angels 15th rank middle infielder was good
as for stewart he was being given away..what did he get for antana? or hardy? or thome...and before you say it yes bill smith had the title ,but curly had the final say on every trade and transaction....so with garza and delmon and ortiz and and and and whay good is curly ....

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

Holy gods dude, take an extra minute or two and make sure what you're posting is intelligible.

#25 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

so your saying trading a left handed reliever with an era of 3.12 to the angels 15th rank middle infielder was good
as for stewart he was being given away..what did he get for antana? or hardy? or thome...and before you say it yes bill smith had the title ,but curly had the final say on every trade and transaction....so with garza and delmon and ortiz and and and and whay good is curly ....

Well said, as usual.

#26 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:50 AM

How do you know Ryan had the final say with the trades of Santana, Hardy, Young and Thome? Pure unsubstantiated conjecture on your part. Why need truth when you can make it up?
Romero is a journeyman with one good year. Giving up on average 1.5 baserunners and a 3.5 ERA for a reliever is a great must have reliever? Why then is Matt Capps vilified? Casillas skill set was observable, his brain for consistency as a major leaguer not.
Ortiz left as a free agent. He was acquired and performed well for little of nothing.
When players have shown up in Gardenhire's doghouse their trade value becomes nil. That is the problem with Gardenhire's doghouse being so public. It hamstrings the GM.

Edited by old nurse, 27 October 2012 - 01:05 AM.

#27 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:57 AM

[

When you're cutting and pasting quotes, get 'em correct. That isn't my quote you've attributed to me.

Sorry for the misediting. But if you think what johnnydakota had to say was well said I really hope that was the sarcasm you have shown in the past.

Edited by old nurse, 27 October 2012 - 01:03 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: denard span, minnesota twins, tim lincecum