Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Fan Can’t Shake Feeling That Team Will Sign Kevin Correia

kevin correia terry felton mike pelfrey suffering
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RandBalls Stu

RandBalls Stu

Elizabethton Twins

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:06 AM

“I know better. I know it’s a different front office and a different mindset. But they’re totally going to sign Kevin Correia. I can feel it.”

Jacob Wilson watched the Twins phenomenal 2019 regular season with glee. Despite the quick playoff exit, he initially looked forward to watching Derek Falvey and Thad Levine rebuild the team’s rotation for 2020.Now, though, he’s not so sure.

“What if they sign Kevin Correia,” asked the Circle Pines educator. “What if the only improvement is Kevin Correia?”

Correia, who has not pitched in the majors since 2015, was signed by the Twins to a 2-year, $10 million deal in 2013 to bolster one of the league’s worst pitching staffs. It didn't work.

“They also traded all their center fielders for Vance Worley and Alex Meyer,” said Wilson. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

Wilson says that he understands Correia is no longer a major league pitcher, nor appears to harbor any intentions of a comeback at the age of 39.

“I know better. I know it’s a different front office and a different mindset. But they’re totally going to sign Kevin Correia. I can feel it.”

Local cat owner Aaron Gleeman writes at The Athletic that the Twins can safely budget $50-70 million at minimum on next year’s staff, depending on whether Jake Odorizzi accepts the team’s qualifying offer. Wilson acknowledges that while the numbers make sense, and that the front office’s work with the lineup encourages him, he’s unable to shake a nagging feeling of despair.

“If I think about it for even five seconds, logic tells me (signing Correia) will never happen. But I’ve been a Twins fan for years. I remember when they signed and re-signed Mike Pelfrey. I remember the 2013 rotation. I remember Terry Felton. You don’t just walk away from that without some scars. Hell, you’re lucky if they’re scars. Some of those wounds…”

Wilson’s voice trailed off. Holding back tears, he paused to gather himself and continued.

“My mom broke her kneecap when she was a kid, and whenever the weather changes, she says she can feel it ache. When the Twins have money to spend and talk about improving their pitching? All I feel is Kevin Correia.”

(Image license here)

Click here to view the article
  • ashbury, USAFChief, Mike Sixel and 2 others like this

#2 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,821 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:23 AM

The title alone had me going back to bed and burying myself under the covers, unwilling to face the day.

• ashbury, USAFChief, goulik and 6 others like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#3 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers Miracle

• 465 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:14 AM

At least we know Martin Perez won't be coming back?

#4 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:41 AM

At least we know Martin Perez won't be coming back?

Not quite yet -- they may just be negotiating a better rate for his services!

• Mike Sixel, Sconnie, Strato Guy and 1 other like this

#5 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,773 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:08 PM

“My mom broke her kneecap when she was a kid, and whenever the weather changes, she says she can feel it ache. When the Twins have money to spend and talk about improving their pitching? All I feel is Kevin Correia.”

(Image license here)

Click here to view the article

Best. Line. Ever.

#6 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,773 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:09 PM

Not quite yet -- they may just be negotiating a better rate for his services!

There needs to be a hate button. Not that you're wrong, just that I would hate it if you're right.

• lukeduke1980 likes this

#7 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:34 PM

There needs to be a hate button. Not that you're wrong, just that I would hate it if you're right.

I was just joking... I hope?

• goulik and lukeduke1980 like this

#8 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 406 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:02 PM

This kind of describes the way I feel. I'm sure others do too. I just don't trust Twins ownership to ever shed the cheap and dumpster diving tendencies that have been around for years and years.

Basically, show me you have the seeds to do something significant, and then I will buy all in. 

• SD Buhr likes this

#9 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 390 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:15 PM

Better him than Gerritt Cole for whatever it would take to get him. Correia has the whole off season to learn the knuckle ball.

#10 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,662 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:25 PM

Basically, show me you have the seeds to do something significant, and then I will buy all in.

Wait, is this statement directed towards Twins ownership, or Kevin Correia? :)
  • Battle ur tail off likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#11 KurtSuzuki'sRedHat

KurtSuzuki'sRedHat

Elizabethton Twins

• 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:00 PM

I recall his first year was actually not that bad. Second year. oh boy.

#12 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,748 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:45 PM

Jacob Wilson should have it so lucky. I have woken up in a sweat every night since the World Series ended, convinced that Tommy Herr has just been signed to replace Jonathan Schoop as our starting second baseman. My wife has talked me down each time ("Ash, the man is 63 years old, he doesn't even want a contract. It was just a dream." "Thanks, Mrs Ash.") but she's leaving on a business trip on Sunday, and I don't know what I'll do after tomorrow night if this follows the logical course and I start dreaming of Wally Backman as the next replacement.

• David HK likes this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#13 boomerb5

boomerb5

• 34 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:21 AM

Local cat owner.
That's some good stuff right there.
  • flags likes this

#14 Richard Swerdlick

Richard Swerdlick

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 54 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:17 AM

Is the Vanimal still pitching? Maybe they will go for him?
  • Doctor Wu likes this

#15 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,617 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:53 PM

the article isn't wrong... :)

#16 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 774 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:47 AM

Ugh ... my headache is back again. All because this would be an entirely predictable Twins move. Okay, new regime and all that, so the chances of such a signing are slim .... but then again ... it's the Twins.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kevin correia, terry felton, mike pelfrey, suffering