Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Alex Kirilloff Should Make his Twins Debut in 2020

alex kirilloff
  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,864 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:18 PM

I don't believe the debate is whether or not you trade Kirilloff, Lewis, or any prospect. In the grand scheme of things, virtually any prospect can and would be traded in the right deal. Especially if you can trade from depth.

The conversation is about him appearing in 2020 for the Twins.

His 2019 season was a bit disappointing to be sure. Injuries obviously played a part in that. But he didn't exactly flail, and he finished strong. Prospects. ALL prospects, are about potential and ability. He appears to have the ability to be a quality and fairly patient hitter with real power potential. He could absolutely be a stalwart in either corner OF spot or 1B, or all three.

I would not be surprised to see him open 2020 in AA and then move up to AAA, possibly quickly. A lot depends on how he looks in ST. I object to the idea he should be moved quickly if he's not clearly scheduled to be a starting piece in 2021. I just think that is short-sighted. "Well, we decided he wasn't ready to set the world on fire as a 22yo so we got rid of him", for example.

If he takes, and there is an injury opportunity or other, I dont believe the FO would hesitate to bring him up. And if everyone is healthy and there is no need to push him up, I've read comments about late 2020, maybe August or September. I'm OK with that, to get him ready for 2021.

But playing devil's advocate, what if he has a really nice year and the Twins OF is healthy and productive? Do you add him to the 40 man and bring him up? Or do you bring him to ST for 2021, and save a 40 man spot until you make a final decision? Not due to service time, just to keep a 40 man spot open.

Personally, I think he has a very nice 2020 and is in line at some point later in the year for a promotion. But it really depends if the OF is healthy, productive and we are in the playoffs. If we are, it simply may not be his time yet.
  • goulik, Major League Ready and rdehring like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#22 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Ft Myers Miracle

• 409 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:50 PM

I think he is special and will be "ready" by July 1 and then it will be up to the Twins' needs. I hope they keep Eddie, pass on Cron and rotate Sano/Garver/Cruz occasionally while "leaving the light on" for the K-Man to Komith

• Mike Sixel, beckmt and cmoss84 like this

#23 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,386 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:34 AM

No matter how well he hits in spring training, I think it’s safe to say that he needs at least a few more days of Triple A “seasoning” or to “work on his defense at 1B.”

Probably about 16, 17, whatever it takes to avoid a full year of service.

#24 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,528 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:48 AM

We don't know that's true of every pitcher they might try to trade for. Heck, we don't know it's true from last year either.

To get anywhere near a front line pitcher a trade is going to hurt in the terms of prospects.One of the outfielders, I can see that as we have an extra or two, Lewis could be very special, I might see trading him, but would want an ace type starter with multiple (at least 3) years of control.Twins have the money for pitching, use it.

#25 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,447 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:47 AM

Depends on what the Twins do with Rosario. And right now, because he is NOT on the 40-man, he is behind Cave and Wade and possibly Raley, Rooker and Celestino for a callup. 

If the Twins really wanted to push him, they could've advanced him last September and gave him the at bats instead of Wade, LaMarre and Miller. But didn't. Service time is making a play, here.

He will start at AAA. Yes, if any of the current starters go down I would rather see him get the chance than any of the other names above, but right now it won't happen, sadly.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#26 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,832 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:12 AM

I don't believe the debate is whether or not you trade Kirilloff, Lewis, or any prospect. In the grand scheme of things, virtually any prospect can and would be traded in the right deal. Especially if you can trade from depth.

The conversation is about him appearing in 2020 for the Twins.

His 2019 season was a bit disappointing to be sure. Injuries obviously played a part in that. But he didn't exactly flail, and he finished strong. Prospects. ALL prospects, are about potential and ability. He appears to have the ability to be a quality and fairly patient hitter with real power potential. He could absolutely be a stalwart in either corner OF spot or 1B, or all three.

I would not be surprised to see him open 2020 in AA and then move up to AAA, possibly quickly. A lot depends on how he looks in ST. I object to the idea he should be moved quickly if he's not clearly scheduled to be a starting piece in 2021. I just think that is short-sighted. "Well, we decided he wasn't ready to set the world on fire as a 22yo so we got rid of him", for example.

If he takes, and there is an injury opportunity or other, I dont believe the FO would hesitate to bring him up. And if everyone is healthy and there is no need to push him up, I've read comments about late 2020, maybe August or September. I'm OK with that, to get him ready for 2021.

But playing devil's advocate, what if he has a really nice year and the Twins OF is healthy and productive? Do you add him to the 40 man and bring him up? Or do you bring him to ST for 2021, and save a 40 man spot until you make a final decision? Not due to service time, just to keep a 40 man spot open.

Personally, I think he has a very nice 2020 and is in line at some point later in the year for a promotion. But it really depends if the OF is healthy, productive and we are in the playoffs. If we are, it simply may not be his time yet.

My apologies for participating in a hijacking of this thread and pledge to stay on topic going forward. 

Having said that, I have been a firm believer that Kirrilloff and Lewis will both push their ways onto the Major League Roster this coming year and not just as September call ups but actually push their way up. I do not think we will be able to hold him down until 2021. 

• DocBauer likes this

#27 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,864 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:56 AM

My apologies for participating in a hijacking of this thread and pledge to stay on topic going forward. 

Having said that, I have been a firm believer that Kirrilloff and Lewis will both push their ways onto the Major League Roster this coming year and not just as September call ups but actually push their way up. I do not think we will be able to hold him down until 2021.

I hope you are right. I am very excited about his potential as well as Lewis's and Graterol's. I am hoping all 3 are with thr Twins and actively contribiting at some point, if not a chunk of the season.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#28 Melissa

Melissa

Elizabethton Twins

• 16 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:21 AM

I would nuance all these mentions of possibly calling Kirilloff up in September, in light of the reduction in roster size next season (26 through August 31, no more than 28 in September). AK presumably could well be among two late season additions, depending on injuries and the like, but added pitching would be at least as likely, imo.

• SQUIRREL and birdwatcher like this

#29 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,699 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:09 PM

He'll be up when he's ready or traded for impact pitching... I'm fine either way there, but no way I hand him a job in 2020 or even expect him to get it... Let him force his way on to the roster. 

• SQUIRREL and DocBauer like this

#30 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 1,994 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:56 AM

I would think the fact he can play both 1B and OF will get him here quicker. The scouting reports I found are old. How does he compare to Larnach as an OFer? Is Rooker destined for 1B? He does not seem to be an OF solution. I could see him being brought up mid-season if Cron does not produce, assuming Cron is signed.

Edited by Major League Ready, 15 November 2019 - 09:58 AM.

#31 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,289 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:41 AM

The way I see it is that Kirlloff is projected as being the best hitter of the host of prospects (Larnach, Raley, Rooker) all in the upper minors. He would have to demonstrate his "eliteness" over the others and show that he is too good a hitter for the IL or maybe the AA Southern League. IIRC, he was outstanding in the playoffs for Pensacola, which was another reason why the rumors of a recall were being heard. 

With that number of bat-first prospects, at least three of whom have played first base, I can see why bringing back Cron might not happen. Further, that is a lot of material for a trade. My guess on trade value would be 1) Kirilloff 2) Larnach 3) Rooker and 4) Raley.

• birdwatcher likes this

#32 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 935 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:08 AM

IMO, he starts in AA, Then I hope he is awesome and forces his way to AAA pretty quickly, then will play there until a spot opens on the major league squad, if one never opens up he will be called up in September and after that the Twins will decide where the right spot is on the major league roster.

If he doesn't force his way to AAA pretty quickly, he probably won't see the majors this year.

• DocBauer likes this

#33 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,815 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:37 PM

Kiriloff and Larnach are both 22-year-old right fielders. Of Rosario, Buxton, and Kepler, Rosario will be the first to be replaced; however, he is a left-fielder. Would someone tell me what is going on?

#34 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,357 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:48 PM

Another guy generally included in out top 10 prospects seems like he should get his shot before Kiriloff: I'm talking Brent Rooker. Yeah, he whiffs a lot, but he mashes too, very much the modern ballplayer. 

He's actually a left fielder as well.

Falvey and company even spent a supplementary 1st on him, so the idea of Kiriloff leapfrogging him in seniority AND position ... I don't think so.

He did well with Team USA this fall to boot.

• DocBauer likes this

#35 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,699 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:54 PM

Another guy generally included in out top 10 prospects seems like he should get his shot before Kiriloff: I'm talking Brent Rooker. Yeah, he whiffs a lot, but he mashes too, very much the modern ballplayer. 

He's actually a left fielder as well.

Falvey and company even spent a supplementary 1st on him, so the idea of Kiriloff leapfrogging him in seniority AND position ... I don't think so.

He did well with Team USA this fall to boot.

Not sure I agree there. Rooker has some warts in his game right now. His K rate drops after he's had some exposure at a level, so I'm really hoping we see that out of the gate in 2020 for him in Rochester. I like him as a prospect, but I think if AK is ready, he will leapfrog Rooker, especially since both will require a 40 man add to join the roster this year. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alex kirilloff