Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: No Qualifying Offer? No Option? These 4 Players Could Interest the Twins

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 1,026 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:38 PM

Sign Teheran to be the 4, and then delete Pineda's agent from the contacts list.

Still need a 1 though.

• mikelink45 and ChrisKnutson like this

#22 cletus141

cletus141

Elizabethton Twins

• 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:45 PM

I like it, but I'm hoping they aim higher.I'm about done with "solid replacement"--that's how the Twins end up swept by superior pitching in the ALDS.Let's do better than Hamels.

I wouldn't call the 3 Yankees' starting pitchers "superior" this year to the Twins', by measure of season long performance, since starting pitching is what we're talking about. They performed better by having a deliberate game plan that countered what they had done most of the season, making the Twins' scouting reports off the mark.

Berrios (season 3.68 ERA) v.Paxton (3.82)

Dobnak (1.59) v. Tanaka (4.45)

Odorizzi (3.51) v. Severino (1.50)

Both teams had question marks in Dobnak and Severino, but I think that the other two sets of pitchers give MN a clear advantage.If all pitchers were healthy and not suspended, I think MN would've matched up well with NY:

Berrios v Severino

Odorizzi v Paxton

Pineda v Tanaka

I'd give the Twins the edge there, presuming Severino's career numbers (3.46 ERA) instead of 2019 (12.0IP in 3G).His career Postseason numbers weren't reflected this year (5.17 in 31 IP).

• birdwatcher and FritzDahmus like this

#23 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,440 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:58 PM

I'm fine as long as we don't sign the guy with the Satanic ERA....

#24 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• 585 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:17 PM

An EE signing may sound enticing, but Kendrick really does seem like the best fit for the Twins at 1B compared to the other FA options. However, before pursuing Kendrick I really hope the FO does there due diligence to see if Carlos Santana is available. I get that Cleveland still may want to compete for the division in 2020, but perhaps not having to pay the rest of his contract ($20M) could convince them.

#25 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,702 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:32 PM

I wouldn't call the 3 Yankees' starting pitchers "superior" this year to the Twins', by measure of season long performance, since starting pitching is what we're talking about. They performed better by having a deliberate game plan that countered what they had done most of the season, making the Twins' scouting reports off the mark.

Berrios (season 3.68 ERA) v.Paxton (3.82)

Dobnak (1.59) v. Tanaka (4.45)

Odorizzi (3.51) v. Severino (1.50)

Both teams had question marks in Dobnak and Severino, but I think that the other two sets of pitchers give MN a clear advantage.If all pitchers were healthy and not suspended, I think MN would've matched up well with NY:

Berrios v Severino

Odorizzi v Paxton

Pineda v Tanaka

I'd give the Twins the edge there, presuming Severino's career numbers (3.46 ERA) instead of 2019 (12.0IP in 3G).His career Postseason numbers weren't reflected this year (5.17 in 31 IP).

I think we must have watched different seasons - Severino was injured most of the year - when he came back he was lights out - again.Paxton and Tanaka over Odorizzi and Pineda - without a doubt. 

#26 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,702 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:34 PM

Ho hum - next!Lots of lists so far, lots of are we interested in this guy scenarios.I only want to see those that will make us better, not make us the same.

#27 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:58 PM

An EE signing may sound enticing, but Kendrick really does seem like the best fit for the Twins at 1B compared to the other FA options. However, before pursuing Kendrick I really hope the FO does there due diligence to see if Carlos Santana is available. I get that Cleveland still may want to compete for the division in 2020, but perhaps not having to pay the rest of his contract ($20M) could convince them.

No way Cleveland would send us Santana as a salary dump.

FWIW, I think Cleveland only owes him $14 mil now (some of the original 3/60 contract was a signing bonus, and some was picked up by Seattle).

Plenty of teams outside of our division would take that off their hands, if Cleveland really wanted.

Edited by spycake, 05 November 2019 - 10:58 PM.

#28 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• 585 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:04 AM

No way Cleveland would send us Santana as a salary dump.
FWIW, I think Cleveland only owes him $14 mil now (some of the original 3/60 contract was a signing bonus, and some was picked up by Seattle).
Plenty of teams outside of our division would take that off their hands, if Cleveland really wanted.

I mean, what if they trade Lindor to the Dodgers?? Then they’d have no good reason to keep Santana around... Also, if a direct salary dump wouldn’t do it, perhaps a 3 team trade??

#29 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 774 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:39 AM

When I read that the Braves had declined the option on Teheran earlier this week I thought ... hmm ... he might be worth a look. I always liked him with the Braves, but he just never seems to put it all together during the course of a full season. Flashes of greatness, and then he implodes. Nevertheless, I'd still be happy to have him in the Twins rotation. But yeah, we still need someone MUCH stronger to help out Berrios.

#30 Twins33

Twins33

• 517 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:10 AM

I was never interested in Teheran previously as a trade option but as a FA signing I’d be fine with it. He would have to be the third or fourth best SP the Twins signed for the rotation though.

#31 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:03 AM

I mean, what if they trade Lindor to the Dodgers?? Then they’d have no good reason to keep Santana around... Also, if a direct salary dump wouldn’t do it, perhaps a 3 team trade??

You can certainly construct a scenario where Cleveland trades Santana (although it's doubtful that he'd return more value to them in trade than he could provide on the field).

They just wouldn't trade him to the Twins, even in a 3-team scenario. Cleveland might re-tool this winter, but they're not going to punt on 2020 enough to strengthen their top rival at the same time. Even beyond Lindor, they have good players under contract for 2020 and beyond.

#32 Miker29

Miker29

Elizabethton Twins

• 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:14 PM

Wonder if Falvey would take a chance with Danny Salazar?

#33 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,774 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:31 PM

I'd be interested in Hamels or Teheran as possible 4th starter options, or perhaps even as #5 guys if Pineda is brought back, reserving Dobnak, Smeltzer, Thorpe and Graterol as almost uncommon depth to begin the season, and #5 options early with Pineda finishing out his suspension. And having too much pitching really doesn't exist. But at some poin't, you also have to trust your youngsters and provide them opportunity.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#34 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,617 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:50 AM

How good is Encarnacion's 1B? If it's decent, he'd be an upgrade over Cron with the bat, and possibly at a cheaper price...

I hope they aim higher for pitching. I don't want them to go sign a #3/4 type. Not with this offense. 

#35 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,796 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:05 AM

How good is Encarnacion's 1B? If it's decent, he'd be an upgrade over Cron with the bat, and possibly at a cheaper price...

I hope they aim higher for pitching. I don't want them to go sign a #3/4 type. Not with this offense. 

The lowest estimate I've seen for EE is over $8 million per year....which is more than Cron will likely get.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins.