Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Qualifying Offer Means Jake Odorizzi Likely To Return

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 406 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:00 AM

I do not understand why everybody thinks the twins have $70 million to spend. on 1 year contracts, sure, but we are not talking about one year contracts. The FO has to take into account that almost everybody already on the roster will be more expensive next year, eating into next year's budget. Not to mention trying to tie guys up on long term contracts, which will also consume more of this year's budget, as well as maybe extra money next year. 

You can't just look aat one year.

Yes, but the roster is flexible year to year as well. We have a bunch of young guys down on the farm, some of them will be used and higher paid players on the MLB roster moved in trades, or let walk in FA as well.

What is wrong with going for it for a season or two? 

• birdwatcher, DocBauer and wabene like this

#22 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,774 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:05 PM

Yes, but the roster is flexible year to year as well. We have a bunch of young guys down on the farm, some of them will be used and higher paid players on the MLB roster moved in trades, or let walk in FA as well.

What is wrong with going for it for a season or two?

Exactly!

And a year from now, Cruz, Rosario, others could be gone via FA, trade, etc.

As to your "going for it" comment, $70M would put the Twins at around $140M total. Still below the mean the past few seasons.
  • Battle ur tail off likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#23 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,959 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:23 AM

KLaw chat yesterday:

John: Do you think Odorizzi gets signed to a long term deal with the draft pick penalty or is he a player better off taking the QO?

Keith Law: I would be concerned if he doesn’t get a long-term deal. That would feel suspicious to me.

#24 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,269 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:45 AM

I don't think the QO guarantees anything about Odorizzi returning to the Twins. I do think that his slide in the second half, along with the limited number of innings will make him a bit less attractive to other teams and that the Twins have a decent chance of signing him to a multi-year deal. 

Odorizzi had his best year last year. I would expect he could back it up with another (or a few more) good seasons. 

• nicksaviking and wabene like this

#25 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,748 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:28 AM

his slide in the second half,

He definitely had a very rocky stretch, 7 games, from mid-June to late-July, but then turned things around in his last game of July and was more than solid for those 10 games (aside from his eternally high pitch-counts) the rest of the way. I seem to recall something about a blister or bad fingernail. If so, other teams probably won't shy away too badly.

• wabene likes this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#26 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:33 AM

Keith Law: I would be concerned if he doesn’t get a long-term deal. That would feel suspicious to me.

Suspicious? Like, collusion? I'm not sure if Odorizzi has enough of a track record to be a bellwether for collusion.

• birdwatcher, Major League Ready and ken like this

#27 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 406 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:54 PM

Exactly!

And a year from now, Cruz, Rosario, others could be gone via FA, trade, etc.

As to your "going for it" comment, $70M would put the Twins at around $140M total. Still below the mean the past few seasons.

Yep, 70 mill is alot. Let it rip and use up all of the money if you think it can help your club. Play for now for a change. If every there was a time to go after it, it is now. 

Worse case a few of the guys you sign don't take you anywhere. Well, then they can be moved again in a year or two for more prospects to make up ground in the area you lost a few of your own by not signing, trading, etc. 

#28 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,772 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:32 PM

Just a writer throwing out names of guys subject to qualifying offers, but it's interesting to see Odorizzi's name being brought up in Jays land. 

https://www.msn.com/...ocid=spartandhp

#29 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,875 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:49 AM

I don't really understand the hesitancy to sign a guy who has a QO. You're giving up your second best pick.... If you could trade picks, would contenders really not deal their second pick for a good player?

You aren't just giving up your 2nd best pick though.
You're giving up your second best pick, AND full market salary price.
Why do that when you can just sign a FA from a similar tier for just the money?

If draft picks could be traded, they'd look for excess value. Just like any other trade, less excess value equals less trade return. So, no, I don't believe teams would trade their 2nd best pick for a player with no excess value, if they were allowed to.

#30 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,796 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:55 PM

You aren't just giving up your 2nd best pick though.
You're giving up your second best pick, AND full market salary price.
Why do that when you can just sign a FA from a similar tier for just the money?

If draft picks could be traded, they'd look for excess value. Just like any other trade, less excess value equals less trade return. So, no, I don't believe teams would trade their 2nd best pick for a player with no excess value, if they were allowed to.

Because there isn't always a similar FA......If there is, sure, but there isn't.

To be clear, you don't think MN would trade their 2nd round pick this year for a good SP that was under contract?

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#31 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 743 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:12 PM

a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

#32 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 743 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:13 PM

who said that, Falvey?

#33 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,875 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:25 PM

Because there isn't always a similar FA......If there is, sure, but there isn't.

To be clear, you don't think MN would trade their 2nd round pick this year for a good SP that was under contract?

Not if said SP was already being paid full market price, no I don't think so. For a younger pitcher with excess value, yes.

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,796 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:27 PM

Not if said SP was already being paid full market price, no I don't think so. For a younger pitcher with excess value, yes.

By that logic, you wouldn't trade a minor league player either. But teams do.

#35 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,875 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:41 PM

By that logic, you wouldn't trade a minor league player either. But teams do.

They typically target players with excess contract value though.

Teams will pay full market salary for good players. And, teams will trade good prospects for good players. They rarely do both for the same player though.
You'll fall behind other front offices pretty quickly if you make a habit out of paying full salary AND prospect capital for the type of player that other teams are only paying one or the other for.

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,796 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:54 PM

They typically target players with excess contract value though.

Teams will pay full market salary for good players. And, teams will trade good prospects for good players. They rarely do both for the same player though.
You'll fall behind other front offices pretty quickly if you make a habit out of paying full salary AND prospect capital for the type of player that other teams are only paying one or the other for.

No one said do it all the time. And you can't convince me that every trade for a veteran is for an underpaid veteran. No way.

#37 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,875 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 05:40 AM

No one said do it all the time. And you can't convince me that every trade for a veteran is for an underpaid veteran. No way.

No, but you typically don't see the top prospects moved for guys that aren't underpaid.
I think teams place a lot of value on their second draft pick.
I think a 4th or 5th rounder would be more likely in that scenario.