Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Offseason Underway: Twins Make Flurry of Moves

jake odorizzi martin perez nelson cruz stephen gonsalves kohl stewart
  • Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#81 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:47 AM

Ok so in exchange for Syndergaard, it was rumored that the Mets were interested in Buxton or Lewis or Kirilloff, or some combination of.

But now we know for certain that the Mets were interested in Gonsalves.

I think "interest on a waiver claim" doesn't necessarily imply any meaningful interest in trade. It's still possible the Mets turn around and try to put Gonsalves on waivers themselves this winter -- they already know 19 teams passed on him, so it's just a matter of sneaking him past the remaining 10.

• SQUIRREL, Twins33 and nicksaviking like this

#82 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,958 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:01 AM

I think "interest on a waiver claim" doesn't necessarily imply any meaningful interest in trade. It's still possible the Mets turn around and try to put Gonsalves on waivers themselves this winter -- they already know 19 teams passed on him, so it's just a matter of sneaking him past the remaining 10.

Yeah, and even if they did have serious interest, I doubt Gonsalves would have been more than a 3rd or more likely 4th piece.

And that's if they were even actually interested in dealing Syndergaard in the first place; at this point I think it was a major feint and adding pitching was their plan from the get go.

• SQUIRREL and spycake like this

#83 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,662 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:03 AM

Now they know that, but claims are blind, is my understanding.

Not endorsing it, but do you think Syndergaard for Lewis, Gonsalves, and one other arm or piece would have been appealing to the Mets?
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#84 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:20 AM

Now they know that, but claims are blind, is my understanding.

Not endorsing it, but do you think Syndergaard for Lewis, Gonsalves, and one other arm or piece would have been appealing to the Mets?

Yes, claims are blind. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise -- I was just pointing out that the Mets may be more likely to waive Gonsalves again (and sneak past 10 teams) in the near future, as compared to an internal waiver candidate (who would have to run the gauntlet of 29 teams). We'll just have to wait and see.

But in general, waiver claims don't mean much in terms of estimating trade interest. The Dodgers claimed JT Chargois from us, but it seems doubtful they'd ever have given the Twins value to acquire him. I'd argue it was even more the case for Gonsalves circa July 2019, as he was injured at the time (and perhaps significantly, as he had only thrown 2 innings all season by that point). So no, I don't think he would have brought any meaningful value to a July trade package.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jake odorizzi, martin perez, nelson cruz, stephen gonsalves, kohl stewart