Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Gonsalves Claimed by Mets

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Getting Ready to Show Up to ST in the Best Shape of My Life!

• 13,228 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:16 PM

Wow. Didn't see that coming.
  • Twins33, SF Twins Fan and operation mindcrime like this

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,964 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:21 PM

I did see it coming... and I don't think he'll be the only "surprise" DFA that we'll see this offseason.

It's tough because I'm a big fan and a huge fan of the person. He's a terrific guy, very open, and he is quite talented. Unfortunately, he was hurt in 2019 and I assume the Twins thought this might be a good chance to get him through waivers... Nope. 

• diehardtwinsfan, brvama, Dman and 4 others like this

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,424 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:24 PM

Geez. I'd like to hear more about this one. There wasn't a 40-man roster crunch or anything.

Though maybe we should have smelled this one coming considering that he was the only pitcher on the 40-man that didn't get a September call up even though he was a lefty and had a bit of MLB experience.

The powers that be must have thought his command was never going to come around? Or at least it was enough of a long shot to take the chance removing him form the roster?

#4 twins_89

twins_89

Ft Myers Miracle

• 433 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:24 PM

Before last season's injuries he looked ready to be a back of the rotation option. I'm going to be curious to see who the Twins think is more deserving of a 40 man roster spot.

• bighat and DannySD like this

#5 DannySD

DannySD

Elizabethton Twins

• 36 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:28 PM

Usually it seems that they know what they are doing, but this is head scratching as he definitely has potential. I'm sure we will instead claim a bunch of ever-journeying relievers with a career 6+ ERA that will be cut before opening day. 

#6 Dman

Dman

• 1,783 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:06 PM

First let me say I always loved Stephen as a draft pick and his stats coming through MiLB.However, given what I have seen of him MLB so far he looks like a 5th starter similar to Popen, Smeltzer, Littel, and Thorpe.In fact I think all those guys except maybe Smeltzer throw harder than Stephen.His control issues plus lack of velocity was always going to be tough to overcome IMO.

Honestly I don't hate this move.I was hoping we could get one last look at him to see if he could improve an make the jump but with so many other arms in the system that appear to have more upside I can see why the Twins tried to move him off the 40 man.

I will say I was surprised by the move especially this early but looking at it harder can understand them taking the risk.I wish Stephen well and I still believe he can be a solid major league pitcher it doesn't look like it going to be with Twins though.

Edited by Dman, 04 November 2019 - 05:07 PM.

• Twins33, brvama, operation mindcrime and 3 others like this

#7 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Minnesota Twins

• 3,295 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:08 PM

Good luck to him!
  • dbminn likes this

#8 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 320 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:25 PM

He didn't get a callup because he couldn't pitch. Twins know about his injury history so I suspect they felt he wasn't worth the risk for 2020. Too bad they couldn't have traded him instead of trying to sneak him thru waivers (if that was their plan). but he was truly in their plans, they wouldn't have exposed him.

• Dman, operation mindcrime and bighat like this

#9 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,101 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:27 PM

I was hoping we could get one last look at him to see if he could improve an make the jump

Same here. His 2018 debut was just so terrible - and was a huge letdown for the Twins to see him absolutely crash and burn at the MLB level.

It would have been great to be able to give him a few more starts in a Twins uniform and give him a mulligan. Alas, that injury just didn't make it possible.

Gonsalves should probably feel pretty good that he's getting a fresh start and will likely get a look from the NYM.

Reading the tea leaves: maybe the Mets are bolstering up their depth because they've bowed out of the Wheeler sweepstakes?

• Dman likes this

#10 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Minnesota Twins

• 3,295 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:27 PM

He didn't get a callup because he couldn't pitch. Twins know about his injury history so I suspect they felt he wasn't worth the risk for 2020. Too bad they couldn't have traded him instead of trying to sneak him thru waivers (if that was their plan). but he was truly in their plans, they wouldn't have exposed him.

Maybe we could've traded him to San Francisco for Jaylin Davis! :)
  • PDX Twin and Rigby like this

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,511 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:02 PM

A friendly reminder of why it is ok to trade prospects.....

I gotta admit I'm surprised that a pitching STARVED team would do this......

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#12 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,258 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:09 PM

There goes yet another top pitching prospect, barely making any impact on the Twins roster. It seems like the last 7-8 years have just been failure after failure for minor league pitchers in this system. At least I think we can say we finally can have some hope for the minor league system after a strong 2019, now that Falvine has [almost] fully revamped things.

Oh, and yes, I do mean "top pitching prospect". He was Twins Daily's #1 prospect a few years back. To be totally honest, I was completely underwhelmed when I saw him throw for the big leagues last year - his fastball tops out at 90 and his secondary pitches are just OK. He's put up respectable stats in the minors, but IMO he doesn't have MLB-caliber pitches. 

• Mike Sixel, Twins33, brvama and 2 others like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#13 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,250 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:30 PM

He fell behind Smeltzer and Thorpe in the chart of AAA/MLB LHSP.Moving him off the 40-man roster was natural...Good luck in Vegas next season

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#14 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 834 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:40 AM

First let me say I always loved Stephen as a draft pick and his stats coming through MiLB.However, given what I have seen of him MLB so far he looks like a 5th starter similar to Popen, Smeltzer, Littel, and Thorpe.In fact I think all those guys except maybe Smeltzer throw harder than Stephen.His control issues plus lack of velocity was always going to be tough to overcome IMO.

Honestly I don't hate this move.I was hoping we could get one last look at him to see if he could improve an make the jump but with so many other arms in the system that appear to have more upside I can see why the Twins tried to move him off the 40 man.

I will say I was surprised by the move especially this early but looking at it harder can understand them taking the risk.I wish Stephen well and I still believe he can be a solid major league pitcher it doesn't look like it going to be with Twins though.

I pretty much feel the same way. Seems like a player that might have stuck with the team if the Twins were patient, but probably nothing more than a 5th starter. I don't feel like it's too big of a loss, the Twins should easily find a similar pitcher, but best of luck to him.