Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Create Your Twins Offseason Blueprint - 2019/20 Edition

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Owner
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:45 AM

Use this thread to share, discuss, and debate offseason blueprints. The premise is simple: create a plan for building your ideal Twins roster in 2020. List your key moves, your final payroll, and your rationale. You can use the info/numbers available in the Offseason Handbook and this spreadsheet (create an editable copy) to guide your process. 

Feel free to either share your blueprint in a comment, or post it in our blog section and link to it here.

cheatsheet1.JPG

• Cory Engelhardt likes this

#2 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,773 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:19 AM

My blue print is pretty simple, so I will explain it without a spread sheet.
I’m letting Castro, Cron, Gibson, and Schoop all walk away without replacement from the outside.
SP: Berrios, Odorizzi, Pineda, And young guns. Im offering Odo a 3 year 42-45 and Pineda 1-2 years. I’m pushing all in on Cole because it is World Series or bust. We have the resources to outbid everyone and I am making sure we’re high bid and his choice is location over money. I’m even willing to go 7-8 years. I’m also talking to Wheeler, Bumgarner and Ryu. If I don’t get Cole I’m aiming for 2 of the others with 5-6 year contracts. I know big contracts bit us in the butt with Mauer and Moreau but it’s the window of opportunity now and it hasn’t been here for 30 years.
Bullpen: I’m going to make all attempts to get Smith on a 3 year and I’m going to be highest bidder. I’m offering Romo a 1-2 year deal. Otherwise I’m standing pat or looking for cheap 1 year vets with playoff success.
1B: Larnach, Kirrilloff, Weil, and Rooker are all given a chance to push there way up in Spring Training to replace Cron on the roster. I believe more than one of them is ready so I really am not concerned. I have them, Sano and Gonzalez working out the first base position.
2B: Arraez has already replaced Schoop with Gordon as a new utility man on the expressway back and forth from AAA. As a backup with Adrianna.
SS: Polanco, Adrianza, and Gordon
3B: Sano, Adrianza, Tortuga

I know many will not like my plan at catcher but here it goes. I bring back Sawyer and Tellis as insurance with Tortuga. Sawyer Tellis, Jeffers and Rortvedt are in Spring Training to earn a backup role behind Garver. I think Jeffers and Rortvedt are more ready than most believe. If one of them does not break camp as the backup, they will be ready mid season. Rortvedt is already there defensively. Sawyer and Tellis are insurance in case Jeffers, Rortvedt or Astudillot need to take refresher trips to the minors or are injured. Worst case scenario here is Garver playing more and resting less than we want or he gets injured.

OF is set with Buxton, Rosario, Kepler, Wade, and Cave plus the aforementioned rookies coming up.
  • Nick Nelson likes this

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,617 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:34 AM

I had already done that... 

http://twinsdaily.co...ason-blueprint/

I'm slightly over on the payroll vs the handbooks recommendation of keeping it around 135M, but I like it. I went hard after Cole and Will Smith on the FA side of things

• Nick Nelson likes this

#4 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Owner
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:12 PM

Here's mine. Focuses on building an elite, deep bullpen that can carry a majority of the load:

http://twinsdaily.co...ullpenner-r8619

#5 TwinsO'Holic

TwinsO'Holic

Elizabethton Twins

• 6 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:19 AM

Here is my 2020 off-season blueprint. 

- Leave the historic offense alone

- Beef up the bullpen (Will Harris & Pomeranz additions)

- Sign a veteran backup catcher to a one-year deal who is solid defensively (Martin Maldonado)

- Go find an "ace" starter (Zach Wheeler) while keeping Odorizzi

- Bring in vet presence on a short term deal to help the rotation (Cole Hamels)

Payroll: a modest $141.5M

This team might not win 101 games again but looks like a force in the playoffs, on paper, at least.

What do you all think?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020 Twins Offseason Blueprint.PNG
  • goulik likes this

#6 mitcho8

mitcho8

Elizabethton Twins

• 9 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:30 PM

Here's my blueprint:

Non-tender C.J. Cron.

I think if he gets to full health he's a worthwhile piece, but not at $7.5mil.

Offer arbitration to the rest

Trade Eddie Rosario and Jhoan Duran to San Diego for Kirby Yates.

Trade Royce Lewis and Lewis Thorpe to New York for Noah Syndergaard.

I played around with baseballtradevalues.com for these. According to that I'm overpaying for Yates and right on for Thor. I can see swapping a prospect, or adding one, but they seem reasonable.

Sign Zach Wheeler 4/$72mil

Sign Josh Donaldson 2/$40mil

Re-Sign Jake Odorizzi 3/$36mil

Sign Drew Pomeranz 2/$7mil

Re-Sign Jason Castro 1/$6mil

I'm not a fan of 6+ year contracts for anyone, let alone starting pitchers, and I love me some Zach Wheeler. If a third year is required for Donaldson, I'm in. I also believe the Pomeranz we saw in the last two months is for real, in which case this is a steal. Odorizzi and Castro are brought back for their veteranness/continuity/etc.

C - Garver $0.6

1B - Sano $5.5

2B - Arraez $0.6

3B - Donaldson $20.0

SS - Polanco $4.0

LF - Cave $0.6

CF - Buxton $3.5

RF - Kepler $6.3

DH - Cruz $12.0

Bench - Castro $6.0

- Gonzalez $9.0

- Adrianza $3.0

- Wade $0.6

SP - Wheeler $18

- Syndergaard $9.9

- Berrios $4.5

- Odorizzi $12

- Dobnak or whoever $0.6

RP - Rogers $4.0

- Duffey $1.3

- May $2.5

- Yates $6.5

- Pomeranz $3.5

- Littell $0.6

- Stashak/shuttle rider $0.6

Perez buyout $0.5

The 26th man will be Astudillo or another Rochester-to-MSP shuttle rider. My math comes to $136.8 million. I think it would be justified to bump overall payroll this year to offer a Blake Snell-esque extension (4/$40mil) to Berrios, something similar to the Polanco and Kepler extensions to Sano and Buxton, and a Glen Perkins-style extension for Taylor Rogers. Cave is definitely a drop-off from Rosario, but he's also less than 10% the cost, and easily discarded when Kiriloff/Rooker/Larnach/Raley are ready to take over. Also in play is Shogo Akiyama (2/$6mil according to MLB Trade Rumors). If my scouts think he's an upgrade over Cave, Shogo mans LF, Cave goes to the bench, Wade goes to Rochester, and the payroll goes to $139.2mil.

Boom.