Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Outright Sam Dyson

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,774 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:46 PM

According to LaVelle Neal and the Star Tribune, the Twins have outrighted RH RP Sam Dyson. 

http://www.startribu...gent/564260612/

Dyson rejected a minor league assignment and became a free agent. He had shoulder surgery in late September and is likely to miss the 2020 season. 

The Twins made the move early. He was eligible to be offered a fourth season of arbitration. The Twins would have been non-tendered at that time. 

• glunn, mikelink45, Reider and 3 others like this

#2 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,525 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 02 November 2019 - 06:41 AM

The Twins really had no choice about this decision. It's unfortunate for the Twins and even more so for Sam Dyson that we can't afford to keep him on the roster. While retaining him would have some parallels to the Michael Pineda signing in 2017 things are much different today. In December of 2017 we could afford to look past 2018. Now we are at a point where we need good healthy pitchers for the 2020 season. It would be very interesting and revealing to know exactly how much the Giants organization knew about his health when we traded for him. At the very best the Giants were ignorant. At the worst they were negligent and/or dishonest. I hope Mr. Dyson is able to recover and make a successful return to pitching.

Edited by Nine of twelve, 02 November 2019 - 06:43 AM.

• jorgenswest, BD57, Dman and 3 others like this

#3 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,040 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 02 November 2019 - 07:51 AM

Absolutely brutal trade for the Twins.

• Musk21, h2oface, mikelink45 and 6 others like this

#4 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 646 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:02 AM

Looked good at the time.
  • Dantes929, Dman and DocBauer like this

#5 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,059 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:09 AM

What seems to get lost in this is Dyson has to underwrite his own rehab. That he quietly pitched in pain for years had me scratching my head. I guess you gotta grab those checks while you can.

#6 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:20 AM

What seems to get lost in this is Dyson has to underwrite his own rehab. That he quietly pitched in pain for years had me scratching my head. I guess you gotta grab those checks while you can.

Depending on what you mean by "underwrite", Dyson has lifetime health insurance, so I'd guess actual rehab expenses may be covered.

He'll be without a salary during rehab, though.

• h2oface and bighat like this

#7 Twodogs

Twodogs

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,006 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:05 AM

Depending on what you mean by "underwrite", Dyson has lifetime health insurance, so I'd guess actual rehab expenses may be covered.

He'll be without a salary during rehab, though.

At this point he is without a team also. So I'd think if you are on a team you probably have more access to the best recovery possible where as now he is on his own. Where does he throw bullpens, who is overseeing it, etc...
  • wabene likes this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#8 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:08 AM

At this point he is without a team also. So I'd think if you are on a team you probably have more access to the best recovery possible where as now he is on his own. Where does he throw bullpens, who is overseeing it, etc...

Pretty sure players and agencies have plenty of resources in that regard. It's not like Dyson is alone in this circumstance.

#9 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

Official Bat Boy

• 2,972 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:30 AM

I'm guessing Dyson gets a similar deal to what Pineda got, but no where near the salary he got. I doubt he pitches this year. As a Twins fan would you be interested in a deal like Pineda got a few years ago, something like 1.5 the first year, and 3.5-4 the second year? 

Career Game Thread Record: 18-6

Safe to say I am the key to the Twins' success 

#10 twinkiesfan11

twinkiesfan11

• 106 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:59 AM

I'm guessing Dyson gets a similar deal to what Pineda got, but no where near the salary he got. I doubt he pitches this year. As a Twins fan would you be interested in a deal like Pineda got a few years ago, something like 1.5 the first year, and 3.5-4 the second year?

No thanks. Failure to disclose his injury shows poor judgment and cost the Twins three decent prospects for no return. Don’t care if he rehabs and comes back strong, just move on.
  • h2oface, adorduan, bighat and 3 others like this

#11 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:01 AM

Not really. Primarily, Dyson had shoulder surgery, not the more standard Tommy John elbow surgery like Pineda in 2017, so the recovery is less predictable. Plus Pineda had his surgery several months earlier -- July 2017 compared to October 2019 -- so his return was expected sooner. Plus Pineda is several years younger than Dyson.

But perhaps more than all of that, SP are in greater demand than RP -- partially illustrated by the salary differential. It might be worth it to commit early to a $10 mil guy, but probably not for a ~$3 mil guy. (And indeed, I can't recall any relievers on Dyson's level signing a rehab contract like that, while I can think of many SP.)

• SQUIRREL, Riverbrian, Danchat and 1 other like this

#12 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 5,338 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:32 AM

Not really. Primarily, Dyson had shoulder surgery, not the more standard Tommy John elbow surgery like Pineda in 2017, so the recovery is less predictable. Plus Pineda had his surgery several months earlier -- July 2017 compared to October 2019 -- so his return was expected sooner. Plus Pineda is several years younger than Dyson.

But perhaps more than all of that, SP are in greater demand than RP -- partially illustrated by the salary differential. It might be worth it to commit early to a $10 mil guy, but probably not for a ~$3 mil guy. (And indeed, I can't recall any relievers on Dyson's level signing a rehab contract like that, while I can think of many SP.)

I feel for Dyson, to pitch through pain like that for an extended period, but if I were GM I’d do the same as Falvey.

There’s no telling how well Dyson will recover from shoulder surgery, and relievers are so volatile from season to season when they are healthy.

I hope Dyson heals up and is ready to go in 2021, but I wouldn’t try to pull a Pineda with him to find out.
  • BD57, tarheeltwinsfan and Vanimal46 like this

#13 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 406 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 12:09 PM

Should have traded for Will Smith. The FO overthought this one. The best reliever on that team was Smith. He was a rental, but he is and was much better than Dyson. Now it bit them. I'd have much rather had Smith on the roster and trying to negotiate with him right now than what happened with Dyson. That said, he(Smith) will still be out there for the taking and probably would be a pretty good add to our bullpen. 

• adorduan and wabene like this

#14 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,470 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:47 PM

Should have traded for Will Smith. The FO overthought this one. The best reliever on that team was Smith. He was a rental, but he is and was much better than Dyson. Now it bit them. I'd have much rather had Smith on the roster and trying to negotiate with him right now than what happened with Dyson. That said, he(Smith) will still be out there for the taking and probably would be a pretty good add to our bullpen. 

I think everyone would have rather had Smith.We also have zero idea on how much more he would have cost, or if he was even available once the deadline came around.

• SQUIRREL, Sconnie and lurker like this

#15 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 113 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:59 PM

The real lesson is whether the Twins will practice caveat emptor from now on. If they do, the lesson didn't come and too high a price.

#16 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,635 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 03 November 2019 - 01:07 AM

If you don't wait until the last minutes, there is time to do complete medicals. That is where this kind of thing can't escape notice, or at least, has a much better possiblility of not being hidden. What good did it do Dyson to dole out the "lie of omission"? He could have done what he did on with the Giants instead of costing a team like the Twins prospects and $. I don't feel for him. He was well aware he was hurting. He was dishonest and selfish to the tune of millions of dollars. It was something he knew about, and did not disclose. It is much like stealing, and not being unlucky by getting hurt right after the trade. Plus, if he had been honest, the Twins could have made a move to get someone that could have helped them, instead of being screwed at the deadline. This wasn't the Giants' doing. Dyson lied to them, too. Of course you dump him.

Edited by h2oface, 03 November 2019 - 01:18 AM.

• bighat and Doctor Wu like this

#17 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,040 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:28 AM

No thanks. Failure to disclose his injury shows poor judgment and cost the Twins three decent prospects for no return. Don’t care if he rehabs and comes back strong, just move on.

Agreed. You can't put the spilled milk back in the bottle. This deal turned sour almost immediately and the Twins should put as much distance between themselves and Dyson as possible.

#18 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,796 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:20 PM

Bummer. It seemed like a good trade, but injuries, sigh.
  • Sconnie, AceWrigley and Battle ur tail off like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#19 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 774 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:33 AM

If you don't wait until the last minutes, there is time to do complete medicals. That is where this kind of thing can't escape notice, or at least, has a much better possiblility of not being hidden. What good did it do Dyson to dole out the "lie of omission"? He could have done what he did on with the Giants instead of costing a team like the Twins prospects and $. I don't feel for him. He was well aware he was hurting. He was dishonest and selfish to the tune of millions of dollars. It was something he knew about, and did not disclose. It is much like stealing, and not being unlucky by getting hurt right after the trade. Plus, if he had been honest, the Twins could have made a move to get someone that could have helped them, instead of being screwed at the deadline. This wasn't the Giants' doing. Dyson lied to them, too. Of course you dump him.

Yeah, I'd also think that Dyson knew he wasn't 100% prior to the trade. And I also hate those last minutes trades for a variety of reasons. I never understand why so many teams wait until the last day or two before the deadline to complete a last-gasp trade.

#20 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 406 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:44 PM

I think everyone would have rather had Smith.We also have zero idea on how much more he would have cost, or if he was even available once the deadline came around.

I understand he may have cost a little more, but my point is I don't care. Quit hording multiple prospects and pony up. 

I will give this organization the off season to prove themselves. If it results in a stand pat or move backwards direction, I will be the first person in line to skewer the FO and ownership(not that I mean anything to anyone LOL :P ). This core needs supplementing in order to take the next step and be a postseason contender. It's time right now. Don't let a replay of the Santana/Hunter/M&M core replay itself.