Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Free Agent Pitching

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,596 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:08 PM

They pay taxes based on where games are played, so we are looking at around 1.5MM, give or take, in tax differences between MN and TX, for a 30MM contract. That's not money to be ignored, but it's probably not the deciding factor. Given the number of players in MLB and the NBA that sign in NY and CA, I'm guessing taxes are not the main factor.

*those are SUPER ROUGH estimates......but I took the highest MN rate, divided by 2, and multiplied by 30MM.....

This is off topic, but I'll ask because why not....

What if a player goes on the IL? So let's say I'm making $30M per year.

Scenario 1) If I'm healthy all year I pay taxes in all the states my team played games (regardless of if I play, or I'm on the bench).

Scenario 2) I get hurt, but not too bad. I'm on the 10day IL for a stint and I rehab for a week at AAA. For the days I'm on the IL where do I pay taxes? Home? Where my team is playing? How about that stint at AAA? I assume I pay taxes where those games are played.

Scenario 3) I blow out my arm. Out for the season. 60day IL. Now where do I pay taxes? Is it different than the 15 day IL?

Edited by amjgt, 04 November 2019 - 12:08 PM.

#42 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,796 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:18 PM

Scenario 1) If I'm healthy all year I pay taxes in all the states my team played games (regardless of if I play, or I'm on the bench).

Scenario 2) I get hurt, but not too bad. I'm on the 10day IL for a stint and I rehab for a week at AAA. For the days I'm on the IL where do I pay taxes? Home? Where my team is playing? How about that stint at AAA? I assume I pay taxes where those games are played.

Scenario 3) I blow out my arm. Out for the season. 60day IL. Now where do I pay taxes? Is it different than the 15 day IL?

No idea! 

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#43 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,596 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:30 PM

No idea! 

It was mostly rhetorical because it was unlikely anyone would know, but I thought I'd take a shot

• Mike Sixel and Tomj14 like this

#44 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:47 PM

You're still on the MLB roster (and collecting MLB service time) when you are on the IL or rehab, so I suspect your tax liability just follows where the MLB team is playing, as usual.

More interesting would be the tax liability after a player is released while on a guaranteed contract (or outrighted, like Rusney Castillo in Boston).
  • SF Twins Fan likes this

#45 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,958 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:09 PM

Here's what I'd try and do:

• Wheeler for 4/84 ($21 AAV).I'd want to make sure his shoulder checks out before putting pen to paper but assuming everything is good, I'd be ecstatic to sign him. Think he has phenomenal stuff and has really improved each year. Get Wes Johnson and Derek Falvey's hands on him and I think he becomes a borderline ace.
  • Re-sign Odo for 3/45 ($15 AAV)
  • Call Texas and see what it would take to acquire Mike Minor. I'd be willing to put together a package of prospects excluding Lewis or Kiriloff. Minor is on the last year of his deal and set to make $9.5 million this coming season.

1. Berrios

2. Wheeler

3. Minor

4. Odo

5. Smeltzer/Dobnak/Thorpe

That's a very, very, solid rotation with legitimate upside and room for growth with Berrios and Wheeler at the top. 

I like the idea of trading for a pitcher, but I'd rather give up more for a pitcher with more upside than Minor. He's good, but I think they need someone who holds the possibility of becoming elite. I still wouldn't feel good about the above rotation come the playoffs.

• Mike Sixel, Twins33, Tomj14 and 2 others like this

#46 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 1,932 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:05 PM

Here's what I'd try and do:

• Wheeler for 4/84 ($21 AAV).I'd want to make sure his shoulder checks out before putting pen to paper but assuming everything is good, I'd be ecstatic to sign him. Think he has phenomenal stuff and has really improved each year. Get Wes Johnson and Derek Falvey's hands on him and I think he becomes a borderline ace.
  • Re-sign Odo for 3/45 ($15 AAV)
  • Call Texas and see what it would take to acquire Mike Minor. I'd be willing to put together a package of prospects excluding Lewis or Kiriloff. Minor is on the last year of his deal and set to make $9.5 million this coming season.

1. Berrios

2. Wheeler

3. Minor

4. Odo

That's a very, very, solid rotation with legitimate upside and room for growth with Berrios and Wheeler at the top. 

Nice plan! Its a good bridge to Graterol / Balazovic. I think Odorizzi costs a little more than 3/45 but that's fine. Anyone care to predict what 1 year of Minor cost in prospects?

Edited by Major League Ready, 04 November 2019 - 04:06 PM.

#47 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,159 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:26 PM

1. Berrios

2. Wheeler

3. Minor

4. Odo

I have no problem with this rotation, but in this instance Berrios is the number 3 or number 4 pitcher...

• HawksNest likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#48 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,638 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:31 AM

How about:

Wheeler 4/88
Hamels 1/20 + mutual option for 1/15

And explore the trade market. I’d be fine with having them fill out the final two roster spots internally:

Brusdar
Thorpe
Balazovic

And I wouldn’t write off these guys as rotation possibilities:
Romero
Gonsalves

And then finally, maybe Smeltzer or Dobnak, but not as high on their prospects.

#49 old nurse

old nurse

• 3,831 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:43 AM

How about:

Wheeler 4/88

And explore the trade market. I’d be fine with having them fill out the final two roster spots internally:

Brusdar
Thorpe
Balazovic

Romero
Gonsalves

Gonsalves is Wheeler's replacement with the Mets.Sort of.

#50 Twodogs

Twodogs

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,006 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:54 AM

How about:

Wheeler 4/88

Brusdar
Thorpe
Balazovic

Romero
Gonsalves

Hamels has said he'd go to a win now team on a one year type of deal, so that is a good one. If you bring in both Wheeler and Hamels then you still have Berrios and probably a decent shot at Odorizzi. Then you could go with the 5th spot with one of the guys from the system Grateral, Balazovic, Romero, Smeltzer etc... Or go back and try to re-sign Pineda for the 5th spot? If you can't get him and you still don't trust the young guys bring in a guy like Homer Bailey, he should be relatively inexpensive on a 1 year deal and he did pretty well with Oakland? Or just go with one of the younger guys?

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#51 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• 1,073 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:24 PM

Given the way the market played out the last few years, I wouldn't assume he gets a 7 year deal. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he only gets 5 or 6.

I will absolutely be surprised if Cole signs for 6 years or less, unless it's a 6yrs/$240M contract.The past two years these were the top pitching FA contracts:

2018 - Yu Darvish 6yrs/$126M

2019 - Patrick Corbin 6 yrs/$140M

Neither of those pitchers is Gerritt Cole.With Boras as his agent, I would be surprised if anything under 7yrs/$224 even gets you a conversation.He is going to set the record.Guys like him just don't make it to FA very often.

I also believe Strasburg will do better than both Darvish and Corbin.My guess is 6yrs/$150-180M.He is opting out 4yrs/$100M left on his contract.I doubt he does so if he and his agent (is it Boras?) don't think he can at least get two more years at the same AAV.

• Mike Sixel and Twins33 like this