Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2019 2020 (non-Twins) off season

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,149 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:40 AM

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

#22 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,514 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 11:53 AM

I wrote a monster of a piece on the Braves, but it covered a bit on every team this offseason in relation to the Braves:

http://videobaseball...eason-overview/

• MN_ExPat likes this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#23 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,628 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:08 PM

I wrote a monster of a piece on the Braves, but it covered a bit on every team this offseason in relation to the Braves:

http://videobaseball...eason-overview/

good stuff.

• biggentleben likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#24 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,697 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:48 PM

The Braves did the exact same thing with Markakis. 

Both players get the same amount of money, each with the buy out of 2M and each with one year deals of 4M for a total of 6M. Picking up the options on each would have cost 6M a piece. 

So... I'm thinking... OK, by doing it this way, even though the players get the exact same money, they shave 4 million total of the payroll number. This makes sense, everyone should be happy. 

But, then I think some more... What does it matter if the payroll is 168 Million or 164 million? 

It occurs to me, that the only way the 4 million matters is if they get near the competitive balance threshold of 208 Million. If you are dancing near that line... the 4 million matters. 

These low level moves by the Braves to me... Is an announcement that the Braves plan on adding significant payroll this year. Around 70 Million potentially if my math is right. 

I think we can safely add the Braves to the Cole, Rendon and Strauburg discussion. Might be the strongest candidate to trade for Mookie Betts as well. 

• Blake, MN_ExPat and railmarshalljon like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#25 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,579 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:38 PM

Cleveland outrighted A.J. Cole? Is there more to his story that I'm missing, because after being a one-time well regarded prospect, I thought he finally looked like he put it together last year with Cleveland now that he became a full-time bullpen arm. He's still got tons of control left too. Is he hurt? Because if not, he's a guy I'd be just fine bringing in for a low risk shot at the pen.

Also, they finally cut the cord on Danny Salazar.

#26 spycake

spycake

• 17,693 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:39 PM

Both players get the same amount of money, each with the buy out of 2M and each with one year deals of 4M for a total of 6M. Picking up the options on each would have cost 6M a piece. 

So... I'm thinking... OK, by doing it this way, even though the players get the exact same money, they shave 4 million total of the payroll number. This makes sense, everyone should be happy. 

But, then I think some more... What does it matter if the payroll is 168 Million or 164 million? 

It occurs to me, that the only way the 4 million matters is if they get near the competitive balance threshold of 208 Million. If you are dancing near that line... the 4 million matters. 

These low level moves by the Braves to me... Is an announcement that the Braves plan on adding significant payroll this year. Around 70 Million potentially if my math is right. 

I think we can safely add the Braves to the Cole, Rendon and Strauburg discussion. Might be the strongest candidate to trade for Mookie Betts as well. 

I doubt the Braves spend *that* much this offseason.

It's probably just for their internal budgeting. Fans don't like it, but a lot of teams have target payroll allocations each year, and don't carry over shortfalls to the next year.

These buyouts lets the Braves use a little 2019 shortfall to help stay under their 2020 target. Probably similar in effect to the Twins front-loading the Polanco and Kepler extensions.

#27 spycake

spycake

• 17,693 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:53 PM

Cleveland outrighted A.J. Cole? Is there more to his story that I'm missing, because after being a one-time well regarded prospect, I thought he finally looked like he put it together last year with Cleveland now that he became a full-time bullpen arm. He's still got tons of control left too. Is he hurt? Because if not, he's a guy I'd be just fine bringing in for a low risk shot at the pen.

AJ Cole went on the IL for a "right shoulder impingement" on August 10th to end his season, so I'm guessing there's an injury factor here.

Cole cleared waivers back in February 2019 too, so I guess he baseline value wasn't all that high either.

• nicksaviking and MN_ExPat like this

#28 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Ft Myers Miracle

• 319 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:23 PM

Explain why a player like Rendon or Strasberg would want to go to another team? If I were a player I would want to stay with a proven winner Unless I did not like my teamates (coworkers)....Does the $ really mean that much that you want to go to a bad team? I sincerely don't get it..thx!

#29 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,697 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:04 PM

I doubt the Braves spend *that* much this offseason.

It's probably just for their internal budgeting. Fans don't like it, but a lot of teams have target payroll allocations each year, and don't carry over shortfalls to the next year.

These buyouts lets the Braves use a little 2019 shortfall to help stay under their 2020 target. Probably similar in effect to the Twins front-loading the Polanco and Kepler extensions.

I agree. I’m sure all teams have budget guidelines to work with but I’d hate to think a contending team is executing a hard line in terms of payroll to the degree that 4 million would matter.

I agree spending 70 million will be hard but trade for Mookie and you are half way there.

Who knows.

Founded 4-23-16 

#30 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Getting Ready to Show Up to ST in the Best Shape of My Life!

• 13,390 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:42 PM

San Francisco gives Will Smith a qualifying offer... I guess that's one way to get some value back after not trading him.

#31 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,697 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:01 PM

Explain why a player like Rendon or Strasberg would want to go to another team? If I were a player I would want to stay with a proven winner Unless I did not like my teamates (coworkers)....Does the $ really mean that much that you want to go to a bad team? I sincerely don't get it..thx!

It's the first chance in their career to have control over that career. 

They had no choice until now. They had to go to the team that drafted them. They were promoted at the clubs discretion, the CBA set their salary followed by the the Arbitrators. 

This is their first chance at actual leverage. 

If it was me... there is no way I'm giving that up... it took a long time to get it. This includes choosing to go back to the same organization. 

• MN_ExPat and railmarshalljon like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,628 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:42 PM

5-10 million more per year matters, yes. This is their job, and the chance to make sure their heirs' heirs don't need to work if they don't want to.

But no bad team is going to pay the money needed for these older players. A team like the Padres might, because they should be good this coming year or next.....

also, this is the first time they get to choose where they live half the year....that would matter to me

Edited by Mike Sixel, 04 November 2019 - 06:43 PM.

• MN_ExPat and railmarshalljon like this

#33 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,697 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:51 PM

J.D. Martinez does not opt out of his contract with the Red Sox. 

Owner John Henry has publicly expressed a desire to get under the competitive balance tax threshold. 

These two things are at odds with each other and should make Boston the team to watch this off-season. 

I think Betts will be dealt. 

• MN_ExPat likes this

Founded 4-23-16 

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,628 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:22 PM

Why would the White Sox offer a QO to Abreu? They can get that level of 1B production for A LOT less money....

mind. boggling. 

• biggentleben and Sconnie like this

#35 spycake

spycake

• 17,693 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:53 PM

San Francisco gives Will Smith a qualifying offer... I guess that's one way to get some value back after not trading him.

Not sure they'll get too much "value" out of a reliever with a $17.8 mil salary in 2020...

• Mike Sixel likes this

#36 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,514 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:02 PM

No, there's not going to be a move to $200M+. That's not happening at all. What does matter is when you have a corporate owner and they have to have certain expenses on one fiscal year over another. The Braves have been making moves like this for years.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#37 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,514 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:06 PM

Not sure they'll get too much "value" out of a reliever with a $17.8 mil salary in 2020...

If he signs it, it'd be a bit nuts. It'd only give him one year of security. I would wager he'll make at least Adam Ottavino money this offseason. Even if it's less annual money, getting $40M guaranteed money over 3 years is much better for long-term security than one year of $17.8M.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#38 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,514 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:15 PM

Why would the White Sox offer a QO to Abreu? They can get that level of 1B production for A LOT less money....

mind. boggling. 

Unlike Will Smith who is one of a few relievers who is truly elite on the market, Abreu is among a lot of guys who can do what he does offensively at a corner IF or corner OF position. Without elite defense at first (which he does not have at all) or significant youth on his side (nope), a QO in the current qualifying offer market is potentially hurting the player and also not getting you back a pick as well.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#39 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,628 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:36 PM

Unlike Will Smith who is one of a few relievers who is truly elite on the market, Abreu is among a lot of guys who can do what he does offensively at a corner IF or corner OF position. Without elite defense at first (which he does not have at all) or significant youth on his side (nope), a QO in the current qualifying offer market is potentially hurting the player and also not getting you back a pick as well.

He'd be crazy not to take the money. 

• beckmt, biggentleben and MN_ExPat like this

#40 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,589 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:43 PM

He'd be crazy not to take the money. 

mlbtraderumors has Will Smith going to the Twins at 3/42.Interesting, but more than I would pay a reliever over 30.I also feel he will take the money.  

• MN_ExPat likes this