Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2019 2020 (non-Twins) off season

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#281 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,628 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 01:33 PM

Machado did not earn his money last year......but that doesn't excuse people here saying it was a bad deal (which plenty have)....or should we judge 26 year olds on one year, and not the next 7?

• SQUIRREL likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#282 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Getting Ready to Show Up to ST in the Best Shape of My Life!

• 13,393 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 February 2020 - 03:27 PM

Wasn’t sure where to put this. This is.... Wow. Not sure what to say about it. Elitist? God forbid a prospect has nice things...
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#283 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,729 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:03 PM

Wasn’t sure where to put this. This is.... Wow. Not sure what to say about it. Elitist? God forbid a prospect has nice things...

Wow. Unbelievable ...
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#284 spycake

spycake

• 17,693 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:40 PM

I heard the Mets aren't alone in having separate clubhouses for spring training and their regular season minor league team.

But my goodness, it is stupid to publicly give that reason for it.

• bighat and jkcarew like this

#285 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,804 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 03:13 PM

"The Mets are only using it for Spring Training, not for the St. Lucie regular season."

So they lock it up April through January? Can't make it up. If you're concerned your low-level employees aren't grasping the concept of making $10M a year instead of $10K, dangle a really nice locker in front of them...then pull it away. It'd work for me. I'd be super motivated to get to the bigs. Especially Atlanta, Philly, Pittsburgh, or Miami. 

#286 Diesel

Diesel

Ft Myers Miracle

• 421 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:00 AM

Indians pitcher Clevinger out with a meniscus tear. Should be back mid April to May but you never know with knee injuries. Tough break for Cleveland.

#287 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,515 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:28 PM

"The Mets are only using it for Spring Training, not for the St. Lucie regular season."

So they lock it up April through January? Can't make it up. If you're concerned your low-level employees aren't grasping the concept of making $10M a year instead of $10K, dangle a really nice locker in front of them...then pull it away. It'd work for me. I'd be super motivated to get to the bigs. Especially Atlanta, Philly, Pittsburgh, or Miami. 

Washington is in the NL East, not Pittsburgh.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#288 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,393 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 February 2020 - 05:31 PM

#289 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,449 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:54 PM

Luhnow: "You DO understand, Francis, that you're not going to get better listening to the trash can bangs, right? So here, try this stuff."

• Mike Sixel, Riverbrian, Hosken Bombo Disco and 2 others like this

#290 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,515 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:01 AM

At some point, MLB will realize they have a major issue in Latin America with tainted supplements and even prescriptions that are sold to players during the offseason. It's led to an abundance of Latin players receiving PED suspensions. MLBPA attempted to make supplementation certification by the league part of the last CBA, but the owners wouldn't do it without the MLBPA footing the entire bill, and that led to the issue being dropped.

I personally don't think certification will be effective, as there are way too many loopholes around it. The NFL has certification and sees players skirt around punishment due to using "certified" suppliers on legal diuretics. Ross Tucker had a discussion with a few former players last season that discussed how much better it would be with the NFL if the league actually was the source of supplements for players. Hard to claim any issue with supplements if the league had supplied them and can test the supply that you received.

Instead, Latin America has significant issues with tainted supplements and prescriptions. However, continued efforts by MLBPA to work with MLB to put together a better system has consistently been put back on the MLBPA to pay for the system themselves. Once again, despite plenty of evidence of the league having an opportunity to work with the MLBPA to confront the PED issue, they'd rather hang players out to string them up for any issues and attempt to claim no knowledge. Meanwhile, players who say "I had no idea this was in anything I took" could be fully honest and are painted as pure liars over and over by a league actively avoiding ways to sort out the opportunity for tainted supplementation.

• SQUIRREL, Mike Sixel, JoshDungan1 and 1 other like this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#291 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,579 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:01 PM

The Brewers signed Brock Holt. I'm sure he was a popular name on Twins fans' buy-low list, though the Twins probably have little use for a utility player with Gonzalez and Adrianza on the roster.

But I was interested in the guy the Brewers DFA'd. Bear with me, there's a lot of Small Sample Size nonsense here and I'm not flying a flag for this guy or anything, it's just been slow since the Maeda signing so I got nothing better to do than do a bit more of a deep dive on guys I'd otherwise never care about.

Taylor Williams looks like a righty that sits 95-96 with his FB, but his slider looks like it might be a wipeout pitch, and I love wipeout sliders. Again SSS, but he threw a slider 96 times in the majors last year and gave up only 3 hits on that pitch. It also looks like his poor 2019 was due to two terrible outings, both of which saw him throw his slider only 19% of the time, which contrasts the rest of his outings that saw him throw it 35-45% of the time.

Of course, that might mean his 96 MPH FB is prohibitively terrible too.

Anyway, did I mention the SSS bit? In case I didn't, this here stuff is totally SSS. Just thought I'd share what I found on a guy I'd never otherwise research if the roster wasn't looking set and ready to roll.

#292 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,163 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:18 PM

A fascinating story in the Athletic about the rodeo career of Mason Saunders, a free agent pitcher the Twins took a brief look at this offseason.

https://theathletic....t.co/6QrefhUO6G
sub req

Also, WTF :)

Yes, that was him in the photo and another one showing him competing on horseback, [Saunders] confirmed after throwing a live bullpen session Sunday at Salt River Fields. It was taken Dec. 3, a little less than two weeks before he signed his five-year, $85 million contract with the Diamondbacks. “They don’t always take pictures,” he added. “That was a bigger one.” A few days later, “Mason Saunders” earned a second-place finish in another event alongside a different partner, Ranger Hill.
In a video interview on the Wrangler Network ... the left-hander responded affirmatively to a question about whether he ropes right-handed. “We want to make that clear in case there are any Giants fans out there watching,” he added.

• Sconnie likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#293 Diesel

Diesel

Ft Myers Miracle

• 421 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:05 PM

Luis Severino of the Yankees needs Tommy John Surgery. The gap between the Twins and the Yankees continues to shorten.

#294 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,393 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 March 2020 - 02:26 PM

Really unfortunate news.
  • Diesel likes this

#295 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,309 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 03:37 PM

Really unfortunate news.

Probably good we didn't trade Buxton + prospects / Lewis & Kiriloff for him!

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#296 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,163 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 04:09 PM

Probably good we didn't trade Buxton + prospects / Lewis & Kiriloff for him!

ahem, its not like he would have missed any games for us...
  • Sconnie likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges