Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2019 2020 (non-Twins) off season

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

#261 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 482 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:33 PM

Trevor Hildenberger signs an milb with the BoSox. Invite to major league camp as well.

• Danchat, Sconnie and jkcarew like this

#262 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,292 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:17 PM

Rangers sign 3B Todd Frazier to a 1 year, $5M deal.

Dodgers get SP Alex Wood to a 1 year, $4M.

I would have liked getting Wood on that deal rather than Hill...

• Sconnie and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#263 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,102 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:42 PM

Rangers sign 3B Todd Frazier to a 1 year, $5M deal.

Dodgers get SP Alex Wood to a 1 year, $4M.

I would have liked getting Wood on that deal rather than Hill...

I agree about Hill/Wood. Hill really wanted to return to the Dodgers, too, but I guess the offer wasn’t there.
  • Vanimal46 likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#264 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Getting Ready to Show Up to ST in the Best Shape of My Life!

• 13,337 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:22 PM

Old friend Carlos Gomez will be retiring at 34 years young! 12 years service time and peaked as a 7.8 bWAR player in his age 27 season.
  • Sconnie likes this

#265 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,292 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:52 PM

After missing out on Donaldson, the Braves ink CF Marcell Ozuna for a 1 year, $18M deal. Seems like a bit much for a guy who hasn't topped .800 OPS since 2017, but it's that 2017 season of his (.924 OPS, 37 HRs) that they'll be hoping to get.

#266 cardsfan

cardsfan

Ft Myers Miracle

• 372 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:53 PM

He's had shoulder issues. Perhaps if he has a good year he'll get someone to sign him for 4 years and $92 million since strains are no big deal for professional athletes.

Everyone thought Ozuna was getting more years. At least he is younger than 30.

#267 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Getting Ready to Show Up to ST in the Best Shape of My Life!

• 13,337 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:16 AM

Everyone thought Ozuna was getting more years. At least he is younger than 30.

#268 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,464 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:12 PM

Essentially how the Braves got Donaldson last offseason.

The details on the bidding for Donaldson have been incredible. The public details are juicy enough, but some of the things beyond that indicate that the Twins and Braves were both dwarfed in their offers, but Donaldson was appalled by the structure of the deal. He also had a very high AAV offer for 2 years that he turned down with a team that was never in rumors for him. Crazy stuff.

Ozuna fits and doesn't hurt long-term financial flexibility for the Braves. Atlanta has also ramped up discussions with a few teams on infield options. This could end up being nothing before the season, but it could put the Braves in the driver's seat in July, as they were with the Giants ant Tigers when they'd already had talks on the prices for players on their clubs coming into 2019, nearly making a deal for one Tiger pitcher before the season until Detroit pulled out at the last second. That made negotiations go quickly when the team moved off their primary target of Pittsburgh (thank goodness that didn't work out) midseason and began looking for bullpen arms. The team may not have a new 3B before the season, but prices are getting set for a potential mid-season buy if Riley/Camargo aren't the hot corner solution.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#269 ashbury

ashbury

Elizabethton Twins

• 25,058 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:41 AM

Crazy stuff.

Doesn't seem that crazy to me, just good business people trying different approaches to see which one appeals most to the player, within each team's own forecasts - of the player, of their own financial situation for each of the next several years.

"Want to bet on yourself? Here's a high-value one-year deal, and you can try again in 2021. Bet on yourself, but with a more solid floor? Two years at somewhat less per year. This will be your last contract? Here's a four-year deal... OK, OK, we'll tack on a little more as a guarantee for a fifth year. Want maximum total contract value? Fine, but we need to spread it out until your grandchildren retire."

All just different ways to skin the cat.

• SwainZag and Sconnie like this

The actions of men are the best interpreters of their thoughts. -- John Locke

#270 cardsfan

cardsfan

Ft Myers Miracle

• 372 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:22 PM

I'm wondering why Ozuna took a one year contract and Castellanos with his 90 Xbh is unsigned if the owners are slowing down with the multiyear big contracts?

Poor Padres with Hosmer and Machado.

#271 Diesel

Diesel

Ft Myers Miracle

• 387 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:09 AM

I'm wondering why Ozuna took a one year contract and Castellanos with his 90 Xbh is unsigned if the owners are slowing down with the multiyear big contracts?

Nick Castellanos just got signed to the Reds for $64 million over 4 years. Eddie Rosario is gonna get PAID

#272 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 699 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:47 AM

Nick Castellanos just got signed to the Reds for $64 million over 4 years. Eddie Rosario is gonna get PAID

He's got an opt out after year 1 so it could just end up being 1yr/16mil.

• Diesel likes this

#273 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,603 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:48 AM

Hosmser=bad......Machado? Hard to say. He was 26 when signed......so I am still baffled by all the "he didn't get them to the playoffs in year one of an 8 year deal, so it sucked" takes.....

• SQUIRREL likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#274 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,292 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:40 AM

Hosmser=bad......Machado? Hard to say. He was 26 when signed......so I am still baffled by all the "he didn't get them to the playoffs in year one of an 8 year deal, so it sucked" takes.....

Machado isn't bad, it's just really disappointing when you ink a guy to a $300M deal and he can't even post a .800 OPS in year 1 when the league is going nuts with the juiced ball. The threesome of Machado, Myers, and Hosmer are under contract for $75M total in 2020, which simply a blatant waste of money.

#275 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,603 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:55 AM

Machado isn't bad, it's just really disappointing when you ink a guy to a $300M deal and he can't even post a .800 OPS in year 1 when the league is going nuts with the juiced ball. The threesome of Machado, Myers, and Hosmer are under contract for $75M total in 2020, which simply a blatant waste of money.

I'm certainly not going to argue the Myers and Hosmer deals being bad.....

#276 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,603 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:35 PM

Pirates starting their rebuild, trading Marte. I imagine Archer is available, but at a price that considers him a two or three, not what he was last year.

#277 ashbury

ashbury

Elizabethton Twins

• 25,058 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:57 PM

Machado isn't bad, it's just really disappointing when you ink a guy to a $300M deal and he can't even post a .800 OPS in year 1 when the league is going nuts with the juiced ball.

He OPS'ed .882.

In his away games. :)

Petco is a known offense suppressor, but this is kind of extreme (.703 OPS at home). Sometimes splits can be anomalous, such as when a batter for one season becomes Superman on Tuesdays only. Or maybe he let the park get to him, and he'll reset during the off-season.

Too soon to make a declaration about the signing. As he enters his age-27 season, I wouldn't bet against a bounceback.

• SwainZag likes this

The actions of men are the best interpreters of their thoughts. -- John Locke

#278 spycake

spycake

• 17,672 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:17 PM

I'm not so sure. Castellanos is actually younger than Rosario, so Eddie will be hitting FA entering his age-30 season, as opposed to age-28 for Castellanos.

And beyond that, Castellanos looks like he might have a standout skill -- the past 2 years he has been worth 30 and 21 batting runs above average. By comparison, Rosario has been worth only 11 batting runs for his entire career. Castellanos is obviously much worse on defense, but I think it might be easier for a team to bet on Castellanos's bat and fixing/hiding him defensively, as opposed to betting on a more thoroughly average guy like Rosario.

• Diesel likes this

#279 spycake

spycake

• 17,672 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:31 PM

Machado isn't bad, it's just really disappointing when you ink a guy to a $300M deal and he can't even post a .800 OPS in year 1 when the league is going nuts with the juiced ball.

FWIW, Machado's .796 OPS with the 2019 Padres was probably the equivalent of an .815 OPS on the 2019 Twins.

#280 cardsfan

cardsfan

Ft Myers Miracle

• 372 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:45 PM

He OPS'ed .882.

In his away games. :)

Petco is a known offense suppressor, but this is kind of extreme (.703 OPS at home). Sometimes splits can be anomalous, such as when a batter for one season becomes Superman on Tuesdays only. Or maybe he let the park get to him, and he'll reset during the off-season.

Too soon to make a declaration about the signing. As he enters his age-27 season, I wouldn't bet against a bounceback.

He hit .256 and led league in hitting into DPs. OPS+ 109. Seriously.