Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2019 2020 (non-Twins) off season

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,045 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:04 PM

My first prediction is that WA signs their two big possible FAs to extensions.

My next is that Cole goes to LAA.

The White Sox sign two good/medium staring pitchers fast in FA.

• nicksaviking and LA VIkes Fan like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,084 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:16 AM

Kenley Jansen is not opting out of the 2/$38 million left on his contract. No surprise there.

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,084 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:35 AM

#4 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 112 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:53 AM

My prediction - 2 blockbuster trades this winter. 2 extensions I am not in on a big ticket free agent signing;

Rosario/Alcala/Duran for Darvish/Kimbrell

Buxton/Balazovic for Synderggard

Sign extensions on both Berrios and Sano

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

#5 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,011 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:37 AM

Just to remind everyone ... this is a NON-TWINS discussion thread. While it's difficult to keep the Twins completely out of the discussion, because, well, there will be moments of 'Wish we could have made a deal for him' regarding a player going to another team, and this is a Twins fan site, but please leave this thread clear of 'The Twins should trade so and so for so and so.' Those discussions need to take place in the Twins Talk forum. This is an aggregator thread of sorts to keep track of moves and signings and what not for the rest of MLB apart from the Twins.

Thanks.

• Blake, nicksaviking, Hrbowski and 1 other like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#6 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 112 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:05 PM

Sorry - read it as both Twins and Non-Twins;

I predict the Cubs will try to move Darvish and Kimbrell

I predict the Mets move Syndergaard

• SQUIRREL, ashbury, Mike Sixel and 5 others like this

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,106 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:12 PM

My prediction: Chicago Cubs firesale.

• Sconnie, MN_ExPat, TFRazor and 1 other like this

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,045 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:17 PM

Also, Boston, despite printing cash is all in on sustainable winning being their new thing, despite actually, you know, being one of the best teams in baseball for a decade......we all know that's code for cost cutting, so Boston will be dealing.

• Vanimal46, MN_ExPat and In My La-Z-boy like this

#9 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,084 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:23 PM

I'm intrigued what that would look like... Can't imagine anyone taking on Lester, Heyward, or Kimbrel's contract without eating a good chunk of change.

Bryant and Rizzo have awesome trade value but who has the farm system to trade for them?

#10 spycake

spycake

• 17,018 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:04 PM

Why? And how would that look? They were a 90 win Pythag team last year, and aren't losing anybody too notable.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,045 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:08 PM

Why? And how would that look? They were a 90 win Pythag team last year, and aren't losing anybody too notable.

To be more "sustainably successful" I assume.

• nicksaviking and In My La-Z-boy like this

#12 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,429 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:31 PM

I'm intrigued what that would look like... Can't imagine anyone taking on Lester, Heyward, or Kimbrel's contract without eating a good chunk of change.

Bryant and Rizzo have awesome trade value but who has the farm system to trade for them?

A lot of teams when you consider the contract versus replacement prospects. Not many WANT Rizzo, but I could see Bryant drawing interest from many of the biggest farm systems - Padres, Rays, Braves, Diamondbacks, Dodgers, and I could even see the Twins having interest if Sano is moved to first.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#13 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,045 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 12:00 PM

This is a great resource......

https://www.fangraph...e-agent-tracker

• Sconnie likes this

#14 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,045 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:21 PM

Strasburg to opt out, apparently.....

#15 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,490 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:31 PM

Strasburg to opt out, apparently.....

Yep! Officially.

• beckmt and Sconnie like this

#16 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,084 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 November 2019 - 06:42 AM

#17 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,106 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:16 AM

Well playing the prediction game isn’t fun if they don’t come out of left field.

But if I were to analyze the take further, I guess I’d say their rotation is old, expensive and mediocre; it’s hard to see how that unit can improve and take the next step. They just let go of their WS winning manager. They have some good players who they’re either going to have to extend soon or watch walk away, but probably not enough good young players to make a sustainable run.

But mostly, they’re the third best team in their division and have an awful farm system. The two teams ahead of them, Milwaukee and St. Louis also have terrible farms; it might be a good idea to beat those two to the upswing in the ever fluid race to load up on young cheap talent.
  • ashbury, birdwatcher and MN_ExPat like this

#18 spycake

spycake

• 17,018 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 03:55 PM

But mostly, they’re the third best team in their division and have an awful farm system. The two teams ahead of them, Milwaukee and St. Louis also have terrible farms; it might be a good idea to beat those two to the upswing in the ever fluid race to load up on young cheap talent.

The Cubs had 90 Pythag wins and the Brewers 81 (and the Cards 92) -- are we really sure the Cubs are the 3rd best in their division? Or did they just happen to finish 3rd this year?

The Cubs were basically 3rd in the *league* in both OPS+ and ERA+ in 2019, with basically the same marks as the champ Nationals. STL had a notably worse OPS+ and MIL a notably worse ERA+.

Yeah, Flaherty looks pretty great for the Cards, but their other SP aren't all that young or great either (Hudson had pretty poor peripherals this year). Milwaukee's got Yelich but lots of holes too.

More to the point -- what would your hypothetical Cubs firesale look like?

• MN_ExPat likes this

#19 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,106 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:37 AM

More to the point -- what would your hypothetical Cubs firesale look like?

I guess, hypothetically, if they were going to do the firesale, they'd maybe want to shed the big money in the rotation? A year ago Darvish's contract would have been unthinkable to move, they could maybe sell high on him and market him as an alternative to the losers who miss out on Cole/Strasburg. Offer to eat some of the Lester money for a mid-level prospect and put some feelers out to see if any club is interested in Quintana at his option year contract price. Maybe keep Hendricks for now, but do the whole thing where you leak that 'they'd need to be blown away' for an offer for him. 

Rizzo is going to be 30 but he's still productive, if they were inclined they could probably move him for some decent talent. Finally move Schwarber to an AL club as is rumored every single year. 

Hang on to Contreras as he still has a lot of team control, but like Mitch Garver, he'll be too old of a catcher to extend by the time his original contract is up.

Then maybe look to extend Bryant and Baez. Though, Baez might be a sneaky sell high candidate. If the baseballs do get de-juiced, his high strikeout/low walk profile make him one of those players who will most likely take the biggest hit in production.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#20 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,852 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:39 AM

• MN_ExPat likes this