Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Eddie Rosario Continued to Trend Downward in 2019

eddie rosario
  • Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 old nurse

old nurse

• 3,854 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:28 AM

opposing GMs are influenced in their evaluation of Rosario by chatter on TD forums?

When the fans are knowledgeable it is free scouting.Are you saying something bad about the knowledge of the TD fanbase

#42 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 317 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 06:58 AM

too many stats. Way too many. Is this baseball or a doctors clinic? OK--old school. I don't need exit velocity, launch angle, E=MCsquared and eLMNOP+ or whatever to enjoy watching the game. Clearly others absolutely are in love with all this new stuff. To each his own. I won;t judge.

The Rosario thing is a rerun of the Tony Batista flap in the Expos final year. Batista led the team in HR's and RBI and got murdered for it because of where he batted in the lineup. The argument was he failed more than nearly everyone. 'anyone could have driven in those runs if they had batted cleanup' it was trumpeted.

Problem with that is 'could have'. Who knows whether they 'could have' taken advantage of the opportunities when put in that situation? We'll never know. Once you remove the 'human factor' from the game and rely solely on all those statistics, you strip the game of its enjoyment and intrigue.

Rosario has always been a loose canon. Is he still valuable to the Twins? Comparing his value to Jake Cave is foolish, Cave just isn't very good. What he is, is cheap, agreed. But is cheap going to help the Twins get additional help, to compensate for Cave's poor production and 'd'? Guess we'd have to see. Cave tore up the IL this season, but did not carry that forward to the Twins. He is very replaceable.

Eddie can be very aggravating. In much the same way as Puig can be. Twins have to determine how much his contribution to the team outweighs the aggravation. Many players have more value to their present teams than they do in trade value. Rosario may be one of those.

• Steve Lein and Rigby like this

#43 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,694 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:54 AM

In this age of communications a site like TD probably has more influence than any fan related communications ever have. When we get a break down like this it is an easy cut and paste.So maybe we underestimate the reach of TD.

Sites like TD have served to aggregate information for fans like none other before... but let's not pretend that the front offices around the league have more of it. I'd be willing to bet that the #30 FO in the league in terms of analytics has far more data at their disposal than we do. 

And given how surprised we are by a lot of FO actions around the league, I'd say we are still lagging behind them. 

• birdwatcher, mikelink45 and Major League Ready like this

#44 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,694 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 01 November 2019 - 08:03 AM

too many stats. Way too many. Is this baseball or a doctors clinic? OK--old school. I don't need exit velocity, launch angle, E=MCsquared and eLMNOP+ or whatever to enjoy watching the game. Clearly others absolutely are in love with all this new stuff. To each his own. I won;t judge.

The Rosario thing is a rerun of the Tony Batista flap in the Expos final year. Batista led the team in HR's and RBI and got murdered for it because of where he batted in the lineup. The argument was he failed more than nearly everyone. 'anyone could have driven in those runs if they had batted cleanup' it was trumpeted.

Problem with that is 'could have'. Who knows whether they 'could have' taken advantage of the opportunities when put in that situation? We'll never know. Once you remove the 'human factor' from the game and rely solely on all those statistics, you strip the game of its enjoyment and intrigue.

Rosario has always been a loose canon. Is he still valuable to the Twins? Comparing his value to Jake Cave is foolish, Cave just isn't very good. What he is, is cheap, agreed. But is cheap going to help the Twins get additional help, to compensate for Cave's poor production and 'd'? Guess we'd have to see. Cave tore up the IL this season, but did not carry that forward to the Twins. He is very replaceable.

Eddie can be very aggravating. In much the same way as Puig can be. Twins have to determine how much his contribution to the team outweighs the aggravation. Many players have more value to their present teams than they do in trade value. Rosario may be one of those.

Cave in 2 albeit limited seasons has an MLB OPS of .801. He plays mostly CF, and while I think we all agree his CF defense is a bit subpar, I think you're being a bit harsh on him, since his corner defense should be average to above.

The guy will be entering his 27 age season and has shown he can hit MLB pitching well above the average CF and above the average MLBer as well... He is a very good 4th OF who can provide an adequate replacement for short stints when someone goes on the DL.. If he keeps that up, he's going to be here for a an arb season or two as well, as he should be. If he improves, we have a nice situation on our hands.

That said, starting him for 3 months until one of our minor leaguers is ready is a bit risky. I'm not personally sure that's a good idea. I think the article implying Rosario is down trending is well... not a reasonable picture at all to put it nicely. I'm not sure Cave could fill in for Rosie, nor am I sure that we should be counting on Rooker, AK, Weil, or Raley to be ready at some point this summer. That's asking for trouble.

Rosie is a known commodity. Flawed, yes. But he can also perform at an MVP level for prolonged stints. I don't think the value he'd return in pitching (which I suspect is little) would be worth the risk of opening up that spot. 

Edit: side note, but Rosario was one of the few guys hitting the ball in the playoffs. SSS I know, but I don't think it's smart to dump the guy who showed up against NY. 

• birdwatcher and Battle ur tail off like this

#45 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:19 AM

Way too much dogging on Rosario already this offseason, in my opinion. This was a historic offense, especially considering it was the Twins.

As basically the same hitter in 2018 and 2017, he was top 3 on the team in OPS. 

You can try to quantify a decline in defense with these numbers, but I don't see that on the field. Can frustrate you sometimes, but he's not losing games because of it, far from it in fact.

Eddie is also a leader in that clubhouse, this was the #BombaSquadLeader we're talking about, and a lot of their heart and soul.

If the general consensus is you don't think he'll bring much back in a trade, why would you ever even consider trading him?

• birdwatcher, diehardtwinsfan, Riverbrian and 3 others like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#46 BrianTrottier

BrianTrottier

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 118 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:34 AM

When the fans are knowledgeable it is free scouting.Are you saying something bad about the knowledge of the TD fanbase

Aside from the fact that nobody here is a scout?

#47 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 560 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:55 AM

My first instinct is always to trust the untrained opinions of amateurs when making multi-million dollar decisions.

Edited by prouster, 01 November 2019 - 11:56 AM.

• ashbury, Riverbrian, Major League Ready and 1 other like this

#48 old nurse

old nurse

• 3,854 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:53 PM

The definition of a scout is one who observes to evaluate and obtain information. Which part of that are the faithful here incapable of doing?

#49 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,044 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 02:01 PM

His offense has literally gotten worse each of the last two years.....He was just above MLB average this year, an average that includes pitchers and catchers......

That's just on offense.

BTW, I don't see anyone saying he's bad.....just that he's not all that great. You keep him unless keeping him impedes your ability to fix pitching....but once they have a rookie OFer ready, there isn't much reason to keep Eddie Rosario at the price he'll be getting paid the next two years.

• birdwatcher, Twins33 and Major League Ready like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#50 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,282 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 02:06 PM

I was a scout. My first merit badge was Bird Study.

• SQUIRREL, ashbury, Mike Sixel and 1 other like this

#51 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 560 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 02:49 PM

The definition of a scout is one who observes to evaluate and obtain information. Which part of that are the faithful here incapable of doing?

I have cooked many meals in my life.

I am not a chef.

#52 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,872 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:57 PM

The definition of a scout is one who observes to evaluate and obtain information.

That definition omits an important aspect, in the context meant when the term was invoked: being paid for doing this.

• birdwatcher likes this

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#53 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,780 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 06:22 PM

Sites like TD have served to aggregate information for fans like none other before... but let's not pretend that the front offices around the league have more of it. I'd be willing to bet that the #30 FO in the league in terms of analytics has far more data at their disposal than we do. 

And given how surprised we are by a lot of FO actions around the league, I'd say we are still lagging behind them. 

If it were not for the Orioles I might think you were right.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

#54 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 755 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:03 PM

"Don't be fooled by home runs and rbis?"

Fooled?Are you sh**ing me? That is how we have evaluated contributions by players since 1889. I mean, those are two of the three prongs to winning a triple crown. 

Poor Eddie.He hits 32 and drives in 100 plus runs and he gets criticized.

I don't get it.Did he vote for Trump or something? 

#55 old nurse

old nurse

• 3,854 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:03 PM

That definition omits an important aspect, in the context meant when the term was invoked: being paid for doing this.

So if you are not paid you do not understand baseball well enough to make an intelligent insight on a player

#56 old nurse

old nurse

• 3,854 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:07 PM

I have cooked many meals in my life.

I am not a chef.

As above. Fans are stupid. Got it.

#57 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 560 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:20 PM

As above. Fans are stupid. Got it.

Not sure how “not a professional” equates to “stupid.” I’m also not sure why a team would seek information on an internet message board when they pay people to gather that information firsthand.

This is a weird argument.

#58 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,011 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 12:42 AM

Stop the bickering and get back on topic.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#59 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,013 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 01:31 AM

I agree.. my point is that all Twins fans talk about is trading Rosario for pitching and how bad he is... so fans will be disappointed if the Twins trade him and don't get anything for him, but we're not helping by talking about how bad he is... it's a circle...

Exactly. Same thing happened with Dozier. I was pretty much screaming because people wanting to give him up for simply De Leon was crazy. People need to show value to some of the players. A lot of people here are there own worst enemies

#60 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 1,983 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:25 AM

Way too much dogging on Rosario already this offseason, in my opinion. This was a historic offense, especially considering it was the Twins.

As basically the same hitter in 2018 and 2017, he was top 3 on the team in OPS. 

You can try to quantify a decline in defense with these numbers, but I don't see that on the field. Can frustrate you sometimes, but he's not losing games because of it, far from it in fact.

Eddie is also a leader in that clubhouse, this was the #BombaSquadLeader we're talking about, and a lot of their heart and soul.

If the general consensus is you don't think he'll bring much back in a trade, why would you ever even consider trading him?

He was really good the 1st half of 2018. From memory, I think he put up 3.5 WAR in the first half. He was literally the worst hitter among the starters the 2nd half and was below replacement value. The first half of 2019 he put up a very respectable 1.4 WAR and was 3rd overall in OPS / wRC+ fpr the 1st half. He was 9th in OPS / wRC+ for the 2nd half and had 0 WAR. For the last season and a half he has put up 1.2 WAR.

So, to answer your question, you trade him to make room for Kirilloff or Larnach whenever that malkes sense. If you happen to get a good return this offseason ... roll with Cave or a platoon with Cave/Gonzalez until one of the prospects is ready. Then, use the incremental $20M/yr over the next couple of years on assets that will contribute more than 1.2 WAR. Hopefully, high end pitching but it would not hurt to invest in another catcher and a 1B.

Edited by Major League Ready, 04 November 2019 - 08:27 AM.

• Mike Sixel and Twins33 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eddie rosario