Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Claim RHP Matt Wisler

matt wisler ian miller ronald torreyes ryan lamarre
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,864 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:43 PM

A lot of angst over a guy who was once a top draft choice and top prospect who just hasn't turned out yet. EVERYONE grabs fliers like this, not just the Twins. And some turn out to be really good fliers. This is just is just due diligence, that every single team does.

MLB and milb are filled with guys with big FB who couldn't throw a consistent breaking pitch to save their life, much less their career. Here is a 27yo, former top prospect who seemingly has a good/great slider in plac. The FB, and consistent placement of it, is still #1 in any pitcher's arsenal. From just a single season of results, Johnson seems to have a good trip on making adjustments to help pitchers center themselves, find a consistent delivery, and improve their FB. He does that here, with a potential I man bullpen, and options available for other speculated arms making the pen for versatility sake, you could have a potential steal on your hands.

You also have a guy you could dump and try to slide through waivers at some point.
  • 70charger, Sconnie and Battle ur tail off like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#42 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,806 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:51 PM

Sorry to bust anyones bubble but this is old school Terry Ryan dumpster diving at its best. Career 5.20 ERA. I see no point in adding someone like this to the 40 man roster.

You can go off of ERA, but lots of posters here in this thread have dug deeper than that one stat.
  • nicksaviking, 70charger, SwainZag and 2 others like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#43 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,433 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:53 PM

I had the chance to cover Wisler with the Braves. First, he's a very self-aware guy and willing to be open about issues he's having on the mound and will take coaching. Bad part was the young pitcher wrecking ball was employed in Atlanta at the time in Roger McDowell. Plenty of promising young arms came and went during his tenure. When you can nearly ruin Julio Teheran as a top-5 overall prospect, you've got issues.

The sinker, when he's behind it, gets great late action. His issue has always been that he gets too much ahead of his arm in all of his deliveries. He's worked on it, but never been able to get it completely to stick. Perhaps Wes can have more success with him as he's a legit arm that I had a retired scout tell me he graded as essentially the second coming of Brandon Webb when he was in AA with the Padres. He sold me pretty well that Wisler was going to floor at Derek Lowe bullpen and peak at Brandon Webb starter with Derek Lowe late-career starter being his middle outcome. Needless to say, that was before McDowell got hold of Wisler.

• birdwatcher, 70charger, markos and 4 others like this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#44 Jham

Jham

• 2,225 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:38 PM

Options aren't as valuable next year, I don't think. 26 man roster, but only 13 can be pitchers so not much difference for teams who would frequently carry the extra pitcher anyway.

The big change is that players must be optioned for 15 days now. This essentially ends the shuttle system we used so well last year to not carry a designated looking reliever and keep everyone a bit fresher. Otherwise options would be even more important as you'd have to probably add a couple relievers to shuttle to pitch during those extra 5 days. I think most teams won't have that depth will be reluctant to send the best of their shuttlers down for that long and probably just keep the Smeltzers up and the Kohl Stewarts down.

Edited by Jham, 30 October 2019 - 09:38 PM.

#45 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,123 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:08 AM

Sorry to bust anyones bubble but this is old school Terry Ryan dumpster diving at its best. Career 5.20 ERA. I see no point in adding someone like this to the 40 man roster.

The list of "dumpster diving" relievers who have become good pitchers is long.

Like really, really long.

Also, let's stop using that term, these are human beings, equating them to trash is disrespectful which is against posting policies.

• SQUIRREL, jorgenswest, SwainZag and 1 other like this

#46 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,987 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:52 AM

All teams make these kinds of moves early in the offseason as they rotate bodies around the 40-man.

The most likely outcome is that nothing comes of this and Wisler is released some time next year but if the Twins see something that can be fixed, why not give it a shot? He's basically a free player if it works out.

This move will not impact other, more important decisions this team will make during the offseason. Every team makes these kind of organizational depth moves.

• birdwatcher, Riverbrian and DocBauer like this

#47 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 935 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:03 AM

All teams make these kinds of moves early in the offseason as they rotate bodies around the 40-man.

The most likely outcome is that nothing comes of this and Wisler is released some time next year but if the Twins see something that can be fixed, why not give it a shot? He's basically a free player if it works out.

This move will not impact other, more important decisions this team will make during the offseason. Every team makes these kind of organizational depth moves.

agreed, and hopefully the FO sees that it will be trading some minor league guys for a starting pitcher and it can't hurt to have another option on the 40 man. If they don't trade and sign some free agents he is probably the first guy dropped off the 40. So I see no harm right now, maybe in a few months if they haven't done much else I will complain and complain loudly about it.

#48 KGB

KGB

• 529 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:54 AM

Is the waiver claim order right now based on league right now? So like a player has to go through the AL before being exposed to NL teams? I can never remember the waiver order rules...

Yes, I believe it's by league.So the Twins would have had preference over the National League.

• markos likes this

#49 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 570 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:38 PM

I don’t think anyone’s bubble is being burst. They didn’t sign him to be a key pitcher. Free agency hasn’t even started yet.
  • birdwatcher likes this

#50 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,067 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:03 PM

https://blogs.fangra...he-waiver-wire/

• markos likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#51 spycake

spycake

• 17,040 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:26 PM

Is the waiver claim order right now based on league right now? So like a player has to go through the AL before being exposed to NL teams? I can never remember the waiver order rules...

Yes, I believe it's by league.So the Twins would have had preference over the National League.

This is incorrect. Waiver claims are strictly record-based now, not league. (Although league is a tiebreaker if two claiming teams have the same record.)

https://www.thecubre...xport/html/3527

"If more than one club makes a claim, the club with the lowest winning percentage (regardless of league) ... is awarded the claim. If two clubs with the same winning percentage make a claim, the club in the player's own league is awarded the claim."

The only recent time where league had waiver priority over record was during August trade waivers (I guess to block moves by your league competitors?), but those waivers no longer exist. Outright assignment waivers, like in Wisler's case, have been strictly record-based for some time.

So Wisler went unclaimed by everyone but MIN and possibly NYY, LAD, or HOU.

Edited by spycake, 04 November 2019 - 02:27 PM.

• James and markos like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: matt wisler, ian miller, ronald torreyes, ryan lamarre