Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Claim RHP Matt Wisler

matt wisler ian miller ronald torreyes ryan lamarre
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,792 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:03 AM

We could have a contest to pick his DFA date!Not exciting.Another project for Wes Johnson.Great he already has Graterol, Smeltzer, Dobnak, May, Duffey, Stewart, Thorpe, Romero, Hildenberger, Perez, Harper, Gonsalves, and Alcala on the current 40 man to work with and straighten out.Is his Erector set big enough to keep adding projects?  

I know many of these will disappear, but that just means we have more projects to replace them.

By the way - what is happening with Gonsalves?I see him going away and wonder where is potential flamed out.

#22 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 570 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:06 AM

Not a big fan of this move. This FO doesn't have the best track record when it comes to relievers IMO. Not sure why the grass is always greener on the other side. I'd rather have Jovani Moran on the 40 man more than this clown. I bet we lose someone better Who has options left. they will let this Slug go after he fails again. I don't trust this FO with pen decisions.

Would you want people calling you a clown and a slug because you did your job to the best of your abilities? Posts like these add rot to Twins Daily.

From a baseball perspective, I think this is fine. The season doesn’t start tomorrow. They have plenty of time to tweak some things and make a judgment. They built a very good bullpen last year, so I trust them. I highly doubt they’ll lose someone off the 40 man who will ever make a meaningful impact on a Major League roster (though don’t quote me on that).
  • SwainZag, Hosken Bombo Disco, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#23 Linus

Linus

• 2,278 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:21 AM

Not a huge fan of this move but maybe they think he can have a Duffey like resurgence if he ditches the sinker and goes four seam up in the zone

#24 Dman

Dman

• 1,716 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:22 AM

I don't know... look at how many guys turned into pretty decent relievers this year. The BP was considered a pretty big weak point going into the season and we fans all hammered them pretty hard for not doing enough...

They finished with one of the best pens in the game this season. Were mistakes made? Sure... but their process certainly yielded results. 

While I agree I am being a little bit harsh my main criticism is their infatuation with rule V pickups or guys with no options who have to remain on the 25(6) man roster which can allow other teams to pick up our home grown guys via rule V. 

Last year the guys that mainly ended up working out the best were guys that were in OUR system (home grown) not someone else's.Guys that had options remaining so that they could move them up and down.This pickup doesn't allow for any of that and smells a bit like their rule V pick failure Tyler Kinley.Not saying you can't find diamonds in the rough in rule V but unless they are certain they can fix this guy it seems like a waste to me.

I am fine with guys they sign that start at AAA with the potential to be added later like they did last year I just don't like these types of moves where they have to roster a guy who has been historically bad and is now 27 with no options.I would rather they use that spot to get someone with a proven MLB track record in free agency or keep one of their own players form being poached. 

Edited by Dman, 30 October 2019 - 08:24 AM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#25 spycake

spycake

• 17,040 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:24 AM

I prefer guys they aren't sure of have options. I hated the bullpen two years ago for that reason. They couldn't move anyone around. I don't want them in the same position ever again.

I hear you, but Wisler's upside is likely only available because he is out of options. Don't pass on upside just for flexibility.

The guys to avoid are Breslow types, or Justin Haley "Rule 5" types, where the flexibility *and* upside is fairly low. (And to the Twins credit, they seem to be learning that?)

Edited by spycake, 30 October 2019 - 08:27 AM.

• Brock Beauchamp, diehardtwinsfan, 70charger and 2 others like this

#26 Dman

Dman

• 1,716 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:27 AM

Would you want people calling you a clown and a slug because you did your job to the best of your abilities? Posts like these add rot to Twins Daily.

From a baseball perspective, I think this is fine. The season doesn’t start tomorrow. They have plenty of time to tweak some things and make a judgment. They built a very good bullpen last year, so I trust them. I highly doubt they’ll lose someone off the 40 man who will ever make a meaningful impact on a Major League roster (though don’t quote me on that).

You are right my rhetoric was too harsh.I just never liked the Tyler Kinley signing and my emotions got the better of me.Thanks for calling me out.I agree with you no need to degrade. I removed the post since it serves no good purpose with that content in it.

Edited by Dman, 30 October 2019 - 08:32 AM.

• 70charger, SwainZag, Hosken Bombo Disco and 3 others like this

#27 KGB

KGB

• 529 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:03 AM

The Twins would have been one of the last teams to get a waiver claim based on their record.So he seems like someone who they could later put through waivers and open up the 40 man roster spot and still keep him.

Nothing wrong if they are just playing the waiver game.

• 70charger, Danchat, DocBauer and 2 others like this

#28 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,084 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:10 AM

over/under 3 weeks before he's back on the DFA waiver train? 

• 70charger and MMMordabito like this

#29 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,067 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:11 AM

I don't know... look at how many guys turned into pretty decent relievers this year. The BP was considered a pretty big weak point going into the season and we fans all hammered them pretty hard for not doing enough...

They finished with one of the best pens in the game this season. Were mistakes made? Sure... but their process certainly yielded results. 

Did any of those surprises come from outside the org, that were previously awful, and then fixed? Like,perez...

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#30 jjswol

jjswol

• 77 posts
  • LocationMinnesota or Florida

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:17 AM

I don't get too excited about/over pickups like this at this time of the year, here today and maybe gone tomorrow if a perceived better name pops up on the waiver wire.

• Danchat and MMMordabito like this
[FONT=arial black]jjswol
[/FONT]

#31 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 485 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:54 AM

Nothing to get excited about IMO, but a guy that had a billing as a top 35 prospect might be worth a look to see if they can add something to his arsenal and make a guy that can help. 

If he doesn't show anything? Dump him and nothing hurt. I don't think he is gonna displace someone you really want to keep from your 40-man anyway. Meaning, he might have more potential than a handful of guys that are already taking up spots. 

#32 markos

markos

• 1,411 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:58 AM

The Twins would have been one of the last teams to get a waiver claim based on their record.So he seems like someone who they could later put through waivers and open up the 40 man roster spot and still keep him.

Nothing wrong if they are just playing the waiver game.

Is the waiver claim order right now based on league right now? So like a player has to go through the AL before being exposed to NL teams? I can never remember the waiver order rules...

#33 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,987 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:59 AM

So, we got a guy that needs to be fixed. And he'll have to be fixed while on the major-league roster.

Sure is good to be playing in the AL Central! (until the post-season, of course.)

It's likely that the team will only "keep" him on the 26-man roster until the time they feel they can sneak him through waivers, probably near the end of the Spring Training.

• DocBauer likes this

#34 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,987 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:00 AM

Is the waiver claim order right now based on league right now? So like a player has to go through the AL before being exposed to NL teams? I can never remember the waiver order rules...

Waiver order is now decided via GM thumb wrestling.

• James, 70charger, markos and 1 other like this

#35 Twins1964

Twins1964

Elizabethton Twins

• 30 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:12 AM

Clown? Slug?

You might be correct. But I think you are wrong on FO management of bullpen. Twins 2nd half in 2019 was very very impressive with good development internally. FO doesn’t put guys on their 40 man roster without a good game plan for the addition. Time will tell.
  • Sconnie likes this

#36 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Ft Myers Miracle

• 277 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:21 AM

He has been with 4 teams already? To me that is not really a good sign unless he is a great player who has left for Free Agency to pitch for his home state team like say, a Gerrit Cole will do...I hope the Twins are smart about their choices this year because watching the World Series the past few days really showed some good pitching.....
  • Dman likes this

#37 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,699 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:57 AM

Did any of those surprises come from outside the org, that were previously awful, and then fixed? Like,perez...

You could argue that Ryne Harper was one of those. 

Look, I'm really hoping they spend cash on Will Smith, but I have zero problems adding guys like this. As I mentioned before, I suspect this is a means to stash him in AAA. Whether it works or not, who knows. But even if he's at the ML level, they are showing track record of turning some guys that were mostly marginal guys into decent relievers. I think it would be wise of them to keep trying. 

• DocBauer and Tomj14 like this

#38 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,067 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:01 AM

You could argue that Ryne Harper was one of those. 

Look, I'm really hoping they spend cash on Will Smith, but I have zero problems adding guys like this. As I mentioned before, I suspect this is a means to stash him in AAA. Whether it works or not, who knows. But even if he's at the ML level, they are showing track record of turning some guys that were mostly marginal guys into decent relievers. I think it would be wise of them to keep trying. 

Of course, he was in the Twins' system for two years.....and he had options......

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#39 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,123 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 12:00 PM

Wisler went all-in on the slider in 2019 (70.2%) out of the bullpen. Opponents hit .206 with a 41% whiff rate on it. Bad news is opponents hit his sinker to the tune of .451

Brooks Baseball says that Wisler throws a four seamer, not a sinker. I'm never one to advocate for a sinker (yuck) but maybe he's got the wrong fastball pairing. Maybe let's just go with a splitter instead. I do like a nice slider.

• DocBauer likes this

#40 rv78

rv78

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 210 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 06:35 PM

Sorry to bust anyones bubble but this is old school Terry Ryan dumpster diving at its best. Career 5.20 ERA. I see no point in adding someone like this to the 40 man roster.

• Mike Sixel likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: matt wisler, ian miller, ronald torreyes, ryan lamarre