Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Claim RHP Matt Wisler

matt wisler ian miller ronald torreyes ryan lamarre
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,854 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 01:45 PM

The Minnesota Twins announced today that they have claimed right-handed pitcher Matt Wisler from the Seattle Mariners. The Twins are Wisler's fourth organization in 2019.Matt Wisler is a 27-year-old who began the year with the Cincinnati Reds. Before the season started, he was traded to the Padres. He pitched in 21 games out of the bullpen and posted a 5.28 ERA in 29 innings. On July 4th, he was purchased by the Mariners from the Padres. He finished the season with 23 appearances for the Mariners. In 22 1/3 innings, he posted a 6.04 ERA. In 51 1/3 total innings, he walked just 16 batters while striking out 63 batters.

Wisler was the 7th round draft pick of the San Diego Padres out of high school back in 2011. He became a Top 100 prospect nationally before the 2014 and 2015 seasons. He was traded to Atlanta at the start of the 2015 season in a package that sent Craig Kimbrel and Melvin Upton to the Padres.

Wisler made 19 starts in 2015 and 26 starts in 2016. Since then, he's mostly pitched out of the bullpen and struggled.

But there are reasons to like this claim. As Parker notes, he has become a slider pitcher.

Wisler is out of options, so should he remain on the Twins roster through spring training, he will need to remain on their 26-man roster or be put through waivers.

Earlier this week, the Twins announced that they had DFAd outfielders Ryan LaMarre and Ian Miller, and infielder Ronald Torreye.

Click here to view the article
  • glunn likes this

#2 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,063 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 29 October 2019 - 02:25 PM

Interesting pickup. See nothing wrong with giving the guy a look!

• brvama and MN_ExPat like this

#3 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,554 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 02:29 PM

Only negative I see is that if he stays on the 40-man, another spot is taken that could have gone to player X.Expect there are going to be several players not added who's absence is going to be a surprise to many of us.Will any of them no longer be Twins come December?Time will tell, but I am expecting they are going to lose somebody (or somebodies) we like...alot.

• mikelink45 and Dman like this

#4 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,528 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 02:56 PM

Twins probably have another 5 to 6 people to drop, and looking at a younger pitcher who can be fixed is a good thing
  • brvama likes this

#5 darin617

darin617

• 1,471 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 03:14 PM

Who needs Cole when we just signed Wisler!

• dcswede, alphanumeric, mikelink45 and 2 others like this

#6 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,550 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 03:32 PM

So, we got a guy that needs to be fixed. And he'll have to be fixed while on the major-league roster.

Sure is good to be playing in the AL Central! (until the post-season, of course.)

• alphanumeric, mikelink45 and David HK like this

#7 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,699 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 29 October 2019 - 04:01 PM

So, we got a guy that needs to be fixed. And he'll have to be fixed while on the major-league roster.

Sure is good to be playing in the AL Central! (until the post-season, of course.)

potentially... but lots of times (as noted in the other thread) teams drop these guys through later hoping to stash them in the minors.

• 70charger, Dman and wabene like this

#8 chpettit19

chpettit19

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 120 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 04:34 PM

They'll be trying to fix his fastball (which they did wonders with for a number of guys in the pen this year) between now and spring training. Then he'll get to audition for a pen spot during the spring. If they are convinced he can't be fixed they cut him loose without any loss. Smart move to take a flyer on a guy with 1 plus pitch already and see if you can fix 1 other pitch and now you've got a viable bullpen arm for nothing.

• brvama, DocBauer, Minny505 and 3 others like this

#9 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,067 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:41 PM

Not a fan of picking up players that haven't been good, if they are out of options. but whatever. I prefer my bullpen to mostly be great pitchers, or guys with options that can go down and up.

• mikelink45, Dman, Tomj14 and 1 other like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#10 rcfarmer78

rcfarmer78

Elizabethton Twins

• 1 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:56 PM

I am ok with this pickup but feel they did not even get the best of the family. Hopefully they can still get Wislers Mother!

• USAFChief, glunn, jbissell and 4 others like this

#11 Hrbowski

Hrbowski

Minnesota Twins

• 2,578 posts
  • LocationA small town city

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:45 PM

Not a fan of picking up players that haven't been good, if they are out of options. but whatever. I prefer my bullpen to mostly be great pitchers, or guys with options that can go down and up.

Care to elaborate? It can be a great way to get underrated players. I don't see why Wisler isn't any better than say, Fernando Romero.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

#12 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,069 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:52 PM

My co-worker despises Wisler for some reason (he also had an irrational hatred for Dyson long before we ever picked him up) so I will cheer for Wisler more than anyone since Tim Stauffer.

• glunn, David HK and Doctor Wu like this

#13 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,067 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 07:17 PM

Care to elaborate? It can be a great way to get underrated players. I don't see why Wisler isn't any better than say, Fernando Romero.

I prefer guys they aren't sure of have options. I hated the bullpen two years ago for that reason. They couldn't move anyone around. I don't want them in the same position ever again.
  • markos, Dman and Jham like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#14 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,181 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 29 October 2019 - 07:56 PM

Check this video out from when the Braves traded for him in 2015

Former top 50 prospect, was the Braves' second overall after that trade.   Lots of potential there.In the big picture of things the risk is yet another arm to fight for a back of the rotation spot. He just turned 27 last month and interesting to see what he can do with some good coaching. Nothing to dislike about this

• glunn, jhisley, markos and 1 other like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#15 markos

markos

• 1,411 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:42 PM

I prefer guys they aren't sure of have options. I hated the bullpen two years ago for that reason. They couldn't move anyone around. I don't want them in the same position ever again.

I agree with your reasoning here, but I think Wisler is worth the exception here. He checks a lot of the boxes that I look for breakout candidates:

- pedigree (former top-50ish prospect)

- age (a lot of pitchers take leaps in their late 20s)

- current stuff (he has a legit swing-and-miss slider)

- past organizational history (I don't consider Sea, Atl, Cin, SD as elite pitcher development organizations. It would be different if he was coming from Hou/NYY/LAD)

- weakness fits the Twins developmental strength (he needs a better fastball. The Twins seem to be able to get more velocity out of their pitchers)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not thinking he will be a stud. If pressed, I would guess that his most likely outcome is that he is waived before the end of spring training. But I like the upside, and I'm cautiously optimistic.

• glunn, Mike Sixel, jhisley and 7 others like this

#16 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 794 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 06:39 AM

Count me as liking this move. Not a great deal of risk and plenty of upside. Sure, he takes up space on the 40-man roster, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think that's a problem at all. I love moves like this, always hoping that the player can live up to his potential.

#17 gbg

gbg

• 84 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 06:47 AM

Clown? Slug?

Not a big fan of this move. This FO doesn't have the best track record when it comes to relievers IMO. Not sure why the grass is always greener on the other side. I'd rather have Jovani Moran on the 40 man more than this clown. I bet we lose someone better Who has options left. they will let this Slug go after he fails again. I don't trust this FO with pen decisions.

#18 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,699 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:31 AM

Not a big fan of this move. This FO doesn't have the best track record when it comes to relievers IMO. Not sure why the grass is always greener on the other side. I'd rather have Jovani Moran on the 40 man more than this clown. I bet we lose someone better Who has options left. they will let this Slug go after he fails again. I don't trust this FO with pen decisions.

I don't know... look at how many guys turned into pretty decent relievers this year. The BP was considered a pretty big weak point going into the season and we fans all hammered them pretty hard for not doing enough...

They finished with one of the best pens in the game this season. Were mistakes made? Sure... but their process certainly yielded results. 

• spycake, DocBauer and Battle ur tail off like this

#19 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 181 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:43 AM

My co-worker despises Wisler for some reason (he also had an irrational hatred for Dyson long before we ever picked him up) so I will cheer for Wisler more than anyone since Tim Stauffer.

Lew Ford called. Said he's going Green and getting a new Roof.

#20 Harrison Greeley III

Harrison Greeley III

• 96 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:45 AM

Sounds like we've got 2020's Ryne Harper attempt, or more optimistically a Sergio Romo in the rough.

Just a quick tip if you don't already know: When the Twins make a buy low pick-up like Wisler, it's best to go straight to the player's Fangraphs page and look at the Pitch Values section. You'll notice the pitcher will tend to have one pitch that's positive and most other pitches that are negative. Therefore the key would be finding the right pitch mix and sequences to maximize value out of that positive pitch. Sergio Romo or Ryne Harper's 2019 first half are great examples of how that's done successfully.

wisler.aNDT8

• TiberTwins, brvama, 70charger and 2 others like this
AKA: TMW

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: matt wisler, ian miller, ronald torreyes, ryan lamarre