Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

LEN3: Derek Falvey Declined Red Sox Interview

derek falvey james rowson peter fatse
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Owner
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:35 PM

Interviewing for a long shot just tells your superiors that it’s only a matter of time.

Keep in mind Falvey already beat Bloom out for the same job once.

• SQUIRREL likes this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#22 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,383 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:16 PM

Keep in mind Falvey already beat Bloom out for the same job once.

Sure but that was yesterday. Everyone is raiding the Rays organization now. Bloom’s attractiveness isn’t static... it’s fluid.

Listen... I think what you say makes sense. He’s still building here... he wants to finish what he started. Admirable and sensible. I’m a goal oriented loyal guy myself, I can certainly understand that sentiment.

However... the scenario floated by Spycake is also very plausible.

Adding the Boston resources to the Falvey model is an advantage. He’d be crazy not to listen. Not many will turn it down. The opportunity to publicly turn down an attractive job is cred that can be cashed in later. If He knows he isn’t first choice. Declining the interview is smart.

Both are plausible theory’s. Either way we are all guessing.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#23 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,874 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:53 PM

I thought Spy's "inner dialog" was useful mainly to demonstrate how little we can actually know, and that almost everything is speculation.

Possibly the most important attribute for someone in Falvey's job is judgement. You would hope that he'd exercise good judgement in all aspects of his life, including his own career arc. If he judged correctly that he'd be an underdog for this opening, good for him (recognizing the circularity of the argument).

• Riverbrian likes this

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#24 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,517 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 05:19 PM

I see this as a message to the organization that he is committed to being in Minnesota. I don’t think he sends that message unless he feels the Pohlad’s are at willing to keep minimally a league median budget.
  • Riverbrian likes this

#25 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,699 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:12 PM

Well this is certainly a nice little one-man play you've written here. 

As far as Bloom being "ahead of Falvey" in his career, Falvey is three full seasons ahead of Bloom in the exact position they hired Bloom to do. 

Frankly, Falvey comes off as a very aspiration individual. If his ultimate goal was to lead the Boston Red Sox, he'd certainly have taken the interview. If Falvey declined an interview with the Red Sox, it likely had nothing to do with Bloom. 

But, in the end, I will admit that none of us know Falvey's actual intentions for turning down an interview. 

Has anyone considered ownership? The RedSox have had a history of being a bit of a dumpster fire from an organizational standpoint from time to time... Meddling owners can cause this and make it very difficult to succeed. 

Flip side... I know this will be popular... but maybe he likes it here. :)

• James, beckmt and Dman like this

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,062 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

Has anyone considered ownership? The RedSox have had a history of being a bit of a dumpster fire from an organizational standpoint from time to time... Meddling owners can cause this and make it very difficult to succeed. 

I'm confused, I thought no one wanted to be in MN, and that's why big time FAs won't sign in MN? Is it different for FO people?

• Battle ur tail off likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#27 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,383 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:41 PM

Win a World Series and then tossed before the next season finishes suggests a certain amount of expectation.

Founded 4-23-16 

#28 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,699 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:03 AM

Win a World Series and then tossed before the next season finishes suggests a certain amount of expectation.

It also suggests a certain amount of dysfunction. There's definitely been some odd behavior coming out of Boston over the few years... not sure if that's an ownership problem or something else, but without question the type of org worth being wary over when thinking of significant career moves...

Taking a promotion isn't necessarily a good thing if you have reason to believe you're going to be setup to fail. 

#29 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,383 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:25 AM

It also suggests a certain amount of dysfunction. There's definitely been some odd behavior coming out of Boston over the few years... not sure if that's an ownership problem or something else, but without question the type of org worth being wary over when thinking of significant career moves...

Taking a promotion isn't necessarily a good thing if you have reason to believe you're going to be setup to fail. 

I've been reading articles. It seems the bill is coming due while Henry and Dombroski disagree on the payment method.

I'm also reading reports that Dombrowski simultaneously increased the size of the analytics department while ignoring the information produced from the larger department. 

The Red Sox were built from a young core that is reaching arb and free agent age. Dombrowski spent money and prospects to supplement that core and it won a World Series. 

Now the farm is dry while the contracts are wet. They have the highest payroll in baseball and finished 12 games behind the lowest payroll in baseball, while the Dodgers and Yankees are trying to get under the competitive balance tax and still pushing out 600K talent to help them do that. 

IMO...We are about to witness a mini-rebuild in Boston. I think Henry is absolutely involved but I'm not sure dysfunction is the right word.

Owners hire the people who hire the people, clubs are always a reflection of the ownership. 

Founded 4-23-16 

#30 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,527 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:32 AM

From what I have read, Boston was ready to move on and probably would have, if they had not won the World Series.Owner seems very impatient, and hard to work for.Falvey was correct is not wanting to work for that type of an organization.I know I would not.

#31 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,383 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:17 AM

Bloom was the only person interviewed. That says something.

Falvey may have turned down an interview. Hazen may have inked a new deal but there are other candidates.

One interview and position filled lends credence to the theory that Falvey declined a long shot.

Founded 4-23-16 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: derek falvey, james rowson, peter fatse