Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

LEN3: Derek Falvey Declined Red Sox Interview

derek falvey james rowson peter fatse
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Owner
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 11:41 AM

When the Boston Red Sox fired Dave Dombrowski, there was some chatter that the organization could target the Twins' Derek Falvey, who grew up in Red Sox Nation and might find the challenge of running his childhood team appealing. 

The Red Sox announced they hired Chaim Bloom away from the Rays but it sounds like they had inquired about interviewing Falvey. According to the Star Tribune's Lavelle Neal, Falvey said nah. 

Despite the opportunity to return to the area he grew up and run the Red Sox — winners of four World Series titles since 2003 — Falvey declined to even interview for the role. According to a source, Falvey who was hired by the Twins after the 2016 season as their chief baseball officer, feels he has the Twins positioned for a run of success after overhauling the coaching staff and building out the baseball operations department. He simply wasn’t prepared to leave after bringing in so many new faces.

The Twins are experiencing some coaching harvesting -- first Pete Fatse to the Red Sox and then James Rowson to the Marlins -- and that's a good sign. Even better, Falvey remains on to backfill and target more of these high caliber, high quality coaches. 

• scottz, James, Mike Frasier Law and 7 others like this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,699 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 27 October 2019 - 12:34 PM

I suddenly like him a lot more... 

• James, Twins33, Oldgoat_MN and 4 others like this

#3 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,383 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 27 October 2019 - 05:10 PM

Red Sox owner John Henry seems like such a smooth guy. Buying scarves for his assistants. Coffee in the press box during interviews but something isn't right. 

First Brad Pitt turned him down now it's Derek Falvey. 

Somewhat surprising but in reality... It's not like the job he chose to remain to see through to completion is terrible. 

• James, Mike Frasier Law and MN_ExPat like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,084 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:06 AM

Don't worry, he'll have the same opportunity to interview for that same role 3 years from now.

Unless that's his absolute dream job to run the Red Sox, there's no reason to leave an organization that will give him a lifetime role no matter how his teams perform.
  • Dome Dogg likes this

#5 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 485 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:09 AM

Don't worry, he'll have the same opportunity to interview for that same role 3 years from now.

Unless that's his absolute dream job to run the Red Sox, there's no reason to leave an organization that will give him a lifetime role no matter how his teams perform.

That and this team is setup for a pretty good long run of success, IMO. They have a lot of guys here that are performing for cheap right now. It SHOULD last for a little while. Or that's the hope anyway.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#6 spycake

spycake

• 17,040 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:15 AM

It's also possible that Falvey suspected there was no way he'd get the job over Bloom at this point.

• USAFChief, Riverbrian and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#7 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,383 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:42 AM

It's also possible that Falvey suspected there was no way he'd get the job over Bloom at this point.

Yep... I can’t help but assume that Bloom is at the head of the class.

Bloom in the mix gives Falvey the chance to look good declining a job that requires Bloom declining first.
  • spycake and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#8 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Owner
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:50 AM

You think Falvey didn't interview with the Red Sox because he believed he wouldn't get the job?

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, tarheeltwinsfan and 1 other like this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#9 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,084 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:59 AM

You think Falvey didn't interview with the Red Sox because he believed he wouldn't get the job?

Yeah, I don't believe that either. People in sports have egos and want to be known as the best at their craft.

Ricky Bobby said it best, "If you ain't first, you're last."
  • tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#10 spycake

spycake

• 17,040 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 11:43 AM

No, not as a primary factor. But there are a lot of factors that go into a decision like this, and his odds of actually landing the job might have been one.

We talk all the time about GMs and coaches showing interest in other jobs to try to get a better raise/extension -- but maybe he thought enough interest had already been signaled to the Twins for him to forego the actual interview and work on the extension. Who knows?

I'm sure it's more complicated than that, just like the hypothetical decision to interview would have also more complicated than "it's my hometown team." I was just throwing out one thing that hadn't been mentioned here yet. (Bloom is a few years ahead of Falvey's career trajectory, and probably has more appeal for his AL East accomplishments at this point -- and by adding Bloom, the Red Sox simultaneously subtract from their direct competitor Rays -- another contributing but not primary factor.)

#11 spycake

spycake

• 17,040 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 11:51 AM

Yeah, I don't believe that either. People in sports have egos and want to be known as the best at their craft.

Ricky Bobby said it best, "If you ain't first, you're last."

Definitely true, to a degree. Which is why I think "money talks" frequently for FA offers.

At some point, though, I think some pragmatism can creep into the decision-making process, especially as the money drops from player-level compensation. Again, not as a primary factor, but a contributing one (of many).

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,062 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 11:53 AM

I think we will be seeing this kind of article for the next few years, until he does leave at some point.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#13 spycake

spycake

• 17,040 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 11:59 AM

Yep... I can’t help but assume that Bloom is at the head of the class.

Bloom in the mix gives Falvey the chance to look good declining a job that requires Bloom declining first.

Yeah. Even if we assume that Falvey is confident, with a healthy ego (which is fair, for someone in his position), it's not like he's living in a vacuum either. He's probably heard a lot better "inside info" about the Boston search than any of us ever will.

Falvey knows people with Boston. He knows Bloom. If he hears, on good authority, that it's Bloom's job if he wants it, and knows Bloom wants out of Tampa (which seems obvious), then it doesn't really take a lack of ego to shift gears a bit toward a different goal. (And declining the interview can save some ego, too, as opposed to an interview and rejection.) Heck, maybe he thinks he can spin himself to Twins ownership in extension talks as Boston's #1 target if he doesn't interview and finish runner-up to Bloom.

• ashbury likes this

#14 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Owner
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 12:12 PM

Falvey knows people with Boston. He knows Bloom. If he hears, on good authority, that it's Bloom's job if he wants it, and knows Bloom wants out of Tampa (which seems obvious), then it doesn't really take a lack of ego to shift gears a bit toward a different goal. (And declining the interview can save some ego, too, as opposed to an interview and rejection.) Heck, maybe he thinks he can spin himself to Twins ownership in extension talks as Boston's #1 target if he doesn't interview and finish runner-up to Bloom.

Well this is certainly a nice little one-man play you've written here. 

As far as Bloom being "ahead of Falvey" in his career, Falvey is three full seasons ahead of Bloom in the exact position they hired Bloom to do. 

Frankly, Falvey comes off as a very aspiration individual. If his ultimate goal was to lead the Boston Red Sox, he'd certainly have taken the interview. If Falvey declined an interview with the Red Sox, it likely had nothing to do with Bloom. 

But, in the end, I will admit that none of us know Falvey's actual intentions for turning down an interview. 

• SQUIRREL, beckmt and kenbuddha like this

#15 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,800 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 12:38 PM

As far as Bloom being "ahead of Falvey" in his career, Falvey is three full seasons ahead of Bloom in the exact position they hired Bloom to do. 

Frankly, Falvey comes off as a very aspiration individual. If his ultimate goal was to lead the Boston Red Sox, he'd certainly have taken the interview. If Falvey declined an interview with the Red Sox, it likely had nothing to do with Bloom. 

But, in the end, I will admit that none of us know Falvey's actual intentions for turning down an interview. 

No one can know what Falvey's intentions are, but LaVelle can know what the Boston owner's intentions were? :) 

spycake's story is completely plausible to me. Bloom looks like a great candidate given what he's done in Tampa. 

• Mike Sixel likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#16 spycake

spycake

• 17,040 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 12:45 PM

Thanks. I mistakenly thought Bloom was promoted higher when Friedman left after 2014, but I guess he was technically just "VP of baseball operations" at that point. My bad. But he was further promoted in 2016 too -- and I think titles and divisions of responsibility can vary a lot between organizations. Both Bloom and Falvey seemed to take big steps forward in their respective careers in 2011 and 2016, so I'd call them roughly even in that regard.

Yeah, if that's his ultimate goal, he probably takes the interview and doesn't think twice about Bloom. I don't know what his ultimate goal is, though, and the fact that he *didn't* take the interview suggests that maybe it wasn't his ultimate goal? Which opens us up to speculating about other factors, which is all I was doing in this thread. And speculating that he may have calculated low odds seems just as valid here as citing his hometown.

FWIW, worth keeping in mind that it wasn't a quick decision either -- the Boston job has been open since early September. There's been plenty of time for Falvey to see Boston's approach, time for information to spread, and time for a variety of factors to influence the decision.

#17 spycake

spycake

• 17,040 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 12:48 PM

Given revenue limitations, I'll also readily agree that it's an easier decision to leave Tampa than Minnesota! So there's something to be said for the notion that Falvey was more comfortable staying here too.

• Nine of twelve likes this

#18 spycake

spycake

• 17,040 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 12:50 PM

Frankly, Falvey comes off as a very aspiration individual

Out of curiosity, if Falvey is aspirational, why do you think he turned down the interview?

#19 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,383 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:31 PM

Turning down an interview establishes trust.

Going to a job interview establishes doubt.

If you had any information that the job is a long shot. Turning down the interview is savvy. It didn’t matter the industry... you will get useful credit from superiors.

Interviewing for a long shot just tells your superiors that it’s only a matter of time.
  • ashbury, ken and tvagle like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#20 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Owner
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:34 PM

Out of curiosity, if Falvey is aspirational, why do you think he turned down the interview?

I don't have any particular insight into this but I get the sense that he is driven by building an organization. He has that opportunity here. Boston may be another challenge but he seems set to take on this one. If he were motivated by personal goals such as running his hometown team, then he would have likely taken the interview. After all, he beat out Bloom before for a job. 

Bloom is someone who has been clawing to work his way into another organization. To the best of my knowledge, Falvey never took another interview outside of Cleveland despite having almost the exact same position as Bloom (both vps of baseball operations for their respective orgs). It wasn't until the opportunity to redesign the Twins' system became available that he interviewed. As crazy as it sounds, the Red Sox wants to copy that model. It would stand to reason that targeting a person who has three years of experience creating that system would be a highly sought after candidate. 

• SQUIRREL, beckmt, spycake and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: derek falvey, james rowson, peter fatse