Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: The Uncertain Future Of Nick Gordon

nick gordon
  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Thegrin

Thegrin

• 1,099 posts
  • LocationRipon, CA

Posted 28 October 2019 - 06:51 PM

10 years from now Gordon will be playing somewhere in the major leagues. DNA tells us so.Lets hope the Twins get something of value for him.:)

#42 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

bomba stick

• 8,740 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:46 AM

I figured i would check in here, missing Nick Gordan's name on the Twin's daily prospect list (with #1 still to be revealed, so maybe that is him)

Has he recovered from his injury, or otherwise been traded and i didn't notice? Or is everyone just more excited about other prospects these days?

#43 South Dakota Tom

South Dakota Tom

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 116 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 18 February 2020 - 12:31 PM

I figured i would check in here, missing Nick Gordan's name on the Twin's daily prospect list (with #1 still to be revealed, so maybe that is him)

Has he recovered from his injury, or otherwise been traded and i didn't notice? Or is everyone just more excited about other prospects these days?

He was an honorable mention in the top 20 list, and he's definitely not our #1 prospect any longer.That being said, there was a lot of chatter about trading him (either solely or in a package) for some relief or starting pitching.  I agree with the posters who suggest we'd be selling low on him at this time (though his abbreviated 2019 season looks pretty good to me).  I see his future as a utility guy right now (in our organization, I should add); when Marwin is gone after 2020 then it will be down to him and Ehire, and Nick is under control for cheaper, longer.Sure there are also other candidates for that, but I would have him play some corner OF this year - if something happens to Adrianza or Marwin (assuming Jake Cave is also on the 26-man) much less to Polanco or Arraez, I think he is the call.

#44 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 448 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:31 PM

Gordon was a fantastic high school player who hit .505 and pitched to a 0.78 ERA over 35 2/3 innings in his last year of high school baseball.

Is it too late for him to resurrect those dormant pitching skills?

WOW! Gordon had great #s. I can see why they drafted him high. Yet again I see Lewis passing him up as a super utility in ML. I see Gordon improving this year at AAA but I don`t see him adjusting quickly to the ML. I believe he`ll make it to the bigs but not w/ MN. He should be traded at the deadline for a high rated pitcher hopefully having raised his stock.

#45 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

bomba stick

• 8,740 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:42 PM

He was an honorable mention in the top 20 list...

Ah yes, i missed the honorable mention when perusing it before posting above. Thanks for pointing him out in there. My bad.

I am glad he is still there and comes back from the injury. And i hope all the prospects play well enough to make the Twins FO have difficult decisions to make.

#46 darin617

darin617

• 1,555 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:55 PM

I said over 2 years ago that Gordon would never make i to the majors. This is his last year to make a giant leap forward or be done.

#47 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,304 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:00 PM

For Gordon with the Twins, I think he'd be the guy called up if there was an injury in the middle infield early in the season. In other words, it is about opportunity for him with the Twins right now. 

He had a nice 2019 season when he was healthy. Unfortunately, he missed a month at the start and probably 6 weeks or so at the end. Lots of doubles.

For many organizations, he would be in the big leagues by now if healthy. 

#48 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 470 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:31 PM

What is his trade value though? He has been fading from the prospect lists, Fangraphs moved him all the way down to 35th in our system. They could include him as a supplementing piece of a bigger package or trade him for another fringe prospect at a different position that isn't as blocked.

#49 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 470 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:39 PM

Naw, they have Ehire for that. I think he gets moved this off season with a couple of other prospectsfor pitching 

Adrianza and Gonzalez are set to be Free Agents after this season. Gordon could have a shot in the utility player(s) competition for 2021.

• dbminn likes this

#50 South Dakota Tom

South Dakota Tom

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 116 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:46 PM

WOW! Gordon had great #s. I can see why they drafted him high. Yet again I see Lewis passing him up as a super utility in ML. I see Gordon improving this year at AAA but I don`t see him adjusting quickly to the ML. I believe he`ll make it to the bigs but not w/ MN. He should be traded at the deadline for a high rated pitcher hopefully having raised his stock.

Royce Lewis is not going to be a utility player in MLB; he will play minor league ball until a full-time spot opens up for him (or he creates his own full-time spot by his play).  When I suggested that others are in the competition, his was not one of the names I think Gordon is competing with.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nick gordon