Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Report: Twins Lose James Rowson to Marlins

james rowson rocco baldelli derek shelton peter fatse
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,205 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:39 PM

much like Manager, there are only 30 bench coach jobs in MLB. What if Rowson doesn’t accept the Marlins job and Shelton doesn’t leave? Someday never comes.

Rowson took an elite job with a clear step up in responsibility in-line with potential for future manager opportunities. He absolutely made a good career move, no matter what happens with Shelton.

Edit to add: no job opportunity comes without risk. The marlins have a difficult road in front of them, but that is why the job came open, and inherent in these types of job openings.

I generally agree. But Teddy Bridgewater doesn't (sticking with the Miami theme).

#22 twinkiesfan11

twinkiesfan11

• 122 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:57 PM

$$$$$$

If the money is better, that's the deciding factor I'm sure. Why does everyone think anyone associated with baseball or sports in general always goes to a winning place, city they want, etc. They have a few years to make money, they are going where cash is king.

I get all that...Even with a salary increase and more responsibilities I just can’t fathom how it would be a good career move to willfully leave a contending team with a very well respected front office and coaching staff to go work for basically a AAA team. Is a bench coach or “offensive coordinator” really that much of a promotion? Seems to me that he could have probably jumped straight to a manager position after another year with the Twins. If I were a hiring POBO looking for my next manager I’d be much more interested in a candidate that worked for a progressive winner with a good culture than a losing team that may have a lot of ambition but is a long ways away from winning.

Overall though I’m just bitter that the first sign of success with this team could lead to the coaching staff and front office that got the team in this position getting raided. Already lost the MLB hitting coach and MILB hitting coordinator with the bench coach probably all but gone.

I wish Mr. Rowson luck though and have full confidence that Falvey and Levine will surprise everyone with some unconventional but very intriguing hires to replace anyone that does leave.

#23 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,364 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:47 PM

I'm cautiously optimistic that the Twins will actually benefit if indeed Rowson moves on. Hadn't had occasion to mention this before.

IMO batting coaches have a short half-life in terms of improving individual batters. He's brought a lot of our guys forward and deserves credit. But the Yankees series demonstrated, in my view, that there remains more to be done, to become a truly top-shelf offense. I hope the Twins locate a batting coach who has some additional situational tricks up his sleeve, as we've felt pretty one-dimensional.

With continuity among the playing staff, it might be a decent idea to switch hitting/pitching coaches every few years. The hitters have probably learned what Rowson can teach them and maybe a new voice would bring something useful to add to that.

I wouldn't say the same about minor-league coaches, where new groups of players cycle through every year, or if the big-league squad was turning over a lot year to year, but this bunch of Twins hitters looks to be stable for the next 2-3 years at least. Let's see if we can hire someone who can build on what Rowson taught them.

• ashbury likes this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#24 Lasorda_This_Out

Lasorda_This_Out

Elizabethton Twins

• 25 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 06:59 PM

Competent MLB batting Coach. Did a nice job during his time with the Twins (vs the disastrous Brunansky).

I assume his contract had expired with the Twins? If so, it's telling that FalVine did not fight to keep him?

In any event, Good luck, Mr Rowson!

#25 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• 6,469 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 25 October 2019 - 11:43 PM

Of what is this 3rd and 7 you speak? This is a foreign tongue of which I know very little.....

It's playoff-speak for playing against the Yankees.

3rd inning, down by 7.

• ashbury, Blake and David HK like this

Member VP of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club

#26 Strato Guy

Strato Guy

Elizabethton Twins

• 48 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 07:55 PM

It's a song by Chicago. 

No, Chicago actually sung about that odd double play that happened that Saturday in the Park, "25 or 6 to 4". 

• ashbury likes this

#27 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 794 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 06:59 AM

It's a song by Chicago. 

25 or 6 to 4 ???

#28 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 794 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 07:02 AM

Congrats to Rowson for his promotion. I don't fully understand this move to a team like the Marlins, but it obviously should increase his pay and progression to a possible manager role some day. But the Marlins? Best of luck to him. My first thought was surprise, and then "damn, we lost a really good coach!" And then I thought about Ash's comments...and then I thought a little bit more...and I suddenly thought "huh, maybe he's right". NOT a knock on Rowson at all, but after 3 years, even after an amazing season, maybe a different voice can offer up a little different perspective that can tweak all this talent just a little more. And this FO seems to have a really good eye for coaching talent. Sometimes surprisingly so. Call me "uncomfortable" losing Rowson, but optimistic they will make a fine addition here.

I'm not sure that hiring Rowson will put the Marlins in the playoffs .... BUT don't knock that team too much. They have a good young core of position players and pitchers and I think they could surprise some people in 2020, at least capable of playing .500 ball. As for Rowson, I liked having him with the Twins, but also agree with the philosophy of changing hitting coaches every few years,

• wabene likes this

#29 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,075 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 28 October 2019 - 07:37 AM

I'm cautiously optimistic that the Twins will actually benefit if indeed Rowson moves on. Hadn't had occasion to mention this before.

IMO batting coaches have a short half-life in terms of improving individual batters. He's brought a lot of our guys forward and deserves credit. But the Yankees series demonstrated, in my view, that there remains more to be done, to become a truly top-shelf offense. I hope the Twins locate a batting coach who has some additional situational tricks up his sleeve, as we've felt pretty one-dimensional.

This about sums it up for me. How's about we go back to that Yankee well and get the guy who has their batters spitting on what would otherwise be called fine off-speed offerings.

#30 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Ft Myers Miracle

• 277 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:56 AM

I wanted Cruz to get that job when he retired.....don't think none of that will happen....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: james rowson, rocco baldelli, derek shelton, peter fatse