Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: How Will the Twins Replace Jason Castro this Offseason?

jason castro minnesota twins twins free agency free agent catchers mlb free agency
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Cooper Carlson

Cooper Carlson

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:40 PM

I would love to bring in Tyler Flowers as a defensive minded backup. He led the league in extra pitch framing strikes, and could help Garver improve even more. Another good way to go (brought up to me by Tom) would be to just go get either of the Astros catchers because they know the Houston secrets to success.

#22 Andrew Thares

Andrew Thares

Ft Myers Miracle

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:01 PM

I would love to bring in Tyler Flowers as a defensive minded backup. He led the league in extra pitch framing strikes, and could help Garver improve even more. Another good way to go (brought up to me by Tom) would be to just go get either of the Astros catchers because they know the Houston secrets to success.

I would too, but I left him off the list because I find it hard to believe that the Braves don't pick up the $6 million option for 2020. Especially when you consider the buyout is $2 million and they are already losing another catcher in Brain McCann to retirement. 

#23 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,874 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:43 PM

I would too, but I left him off the list because I find it hard to believe that the Braves don't pick up the $6 million option for 2020. Especially when you consider the buyout is $2 million and they are already losing another catcher in Brain McCann to retirement. 

See, this is what I get for not doing my homework. :) My rinky-dink offer to Castro, up-thread, isn't even trend-setting in terms of percentage of buyout, and is light in terms of total 2-year dollars for a thirty-something catcher who seems to be sound.

The Twins need to be pretty sure Telis could do the job, before parting ways with Castro, and maybe the lack of a September callup (and 40-man add) is telling. Just pay Castro Flowers-type money, if they have concerns about getting caught short for 2020.

• Vanimal46 likes this

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#24 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,084 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:08 PM

Garver is still making pre-arb money in 2020. The Twins can certainly afford to pay the part time veteran catcher "starter" money for another year before Garver hits arbitration.

I would pitch a 2/$14 deal to Castro... Match his $8 million salary for 2020, $6 million with a buyout option in 2021.
  • Sconnie and DocBauer like this

#25 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,550 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:30 PM

I think Castro's future is like Suzuki's...

You mean he's going to be a post-season star for a WS-winning team!!? :)

If so, I DEFINITELY want the Twins to be the team that signs him.

• IndianaTwin likes this

#26 pierre75275

pierre75275

• 468 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:18 PM

I still love the thought of not signing Cron or Castro and instead signing Yasmani Grandel. Garver could play first as could Grandel as could Sano. Third base could ve covered by a combination of players currently on the roster. But....i suppose the money is better spent on pitching

#27 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,861 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:51 PM

Going to say some things here that sound contradictory, but bear with my points.

With some, and against some, I am a huge fan of Astudillo, and not just because he is fun. FO, manager, coaches, teammates all love him for so many reasons. But that is not enough of a reason to keep him. And while nothing special, at all, defensively, the guy is a gamer and solid wherever you play him. And despite some late season flailing at outside pitches that made him look bad, the guy can hit.

NOT exactly, but for intent and purpose, he was virtually a late blooming rookie coming off of his 2018 performance. He hit before he got hurt. When he came back, he struggled a bit, then got in a nice groove, then got hurt again after his wall collision. Just never looked the same after that on his return, IMO. I think he is a very useful and versatile player who can hit, hit well, and produce when used in a semi-regular basis. I also think he's a pretty decent catcher. In fact, I'm not so sure he couldn't be a he'll of a backup backstop option. But I don't feel comfortable, at this point, as the primary option.

I don't know that Castro is "special", but I think he is undersold as a presence to the staff and the team. Is it just co-incidence the team was better in '17 and '19 when available? Maybe.

For reasons I just don't understand, I've always felt the catcher position in baseball bas always been underrated.

Castro will be 32 to start next season. He had a nice and productive season as a roughly 50/50 backstop coming off knee surgery. Is there a team who will look at age and 2019 and decide he can play 120 games? As someone else pointed out...too tired to remember and look back...would it be a competitive team? Or will his market prove dry?

Best of luck to him if he can find a really nice multi year deal. But I am betting a deal with the Twins for $4-6M for a year, maybe 2, and a chance to win, being something like a 40/60 backstop trumps anything else he finds. And it makes so much sense for both sides.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,062 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:02 PM

I bet he gets at least two years, at least twelve million.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#29 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,447 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:21 PM

The nice thing is that both Rortvedt and Jeffers WILL be Twins at some point. They both will be able to ride the 40-man roster for the next 3-4 years without regular play, but if they do play, BOTH should have a good knowledge of working with the Twins of the future.

The question is how long is Garver behind-the-plate, and for how many games. I don't see Garver catching up to 130 games, ptherwise we could go with Willians as the main abckup with a depth guy in case of injury in the minors.

Next year the Twins will be able to carry 13 pitchers and 13 hitters, so four guys on the bench (back up catcher, back up infielder, back up outfielder, all-around-guy). 

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#30 twinfan

twinfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 63 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:40 AM

Castro would be the logical choice but the other free agent catchers can all hit in case Garver falters offensively. Castro makes the pitchers better so I hope they can keep him. I wouldn't trade unless we don't give up much. We may need to trade for pitching. 

#31 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,517 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:58 PM

If the Twins are confident enough in Astudillo’s defense at catcher I would go with him.

I would use him against those high strike out pitchers that don’t give up a lot of contact. That game changing pinch hit against Matt Barnes still sits with me. It didn’t make sense until I realized the one thing the Twins needed the most in that at bat was a ball in play.

Stick with Astudillo and put the resources elsewhere.

#32 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 317 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 06:06 PM

Astudillo's OBP is lower than most because he doesn't walk. But he also doesn't 'k' and that is something this team really needs. He's not a #1...but it would be hard to find someone as a utility that would be better, for the price. Castro tailed off badly the last month. He didn't hit at all, which kinda skews his offensive numbers. He fanned a ton.

Given all the 'choices', I would like to see him as the backup catcher. Give Garver a few more starts, if he is healthy. Use Turtle as the 3rd catcher, but also as a spare IF/OF if necessary. Telis was Rochester's best hitter overall (not for power but for average and reaching base in tight spots) Twins should give him a look.

I thought Twins should try and get Hicks back instead of Cave...but Hicks is undergoing TJ surgery...so he;s done probably for the season. So scratch that.

#33 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,861 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 05:23 PM

Astudillo's OBP is lower than most because he doesn't walk. But he also doesn't 'k' and that is something this team really needs. He's not a #1...but it would be hard to find someone as a utility that would be better, for the price. Castro tailed off badly the last month. He didn't hit at all, which kinda skews his offensive numbers. He fanned a ton.

Given all the 'choices', I would like to see him as the backup catcher. Give Garver a few more starts, if he is healthy. Use Turtle as the 3rd catcher, but also as a spare IF/OF if necessary. Telis was Rochester's best hitter overall (not for power but for average and reaching base in tight spots) Twins should give him a look.

I thought Twins should try and get Hicks back instead of Cave...but Hicks is undergoing TJ surgery...so he;s done probably for the season. So scratch that.

Have already commented about Castro being back and my choice. He absolutely did tail off later in the season. (Also why I'm not sure he gets a bug offer anywhere else). I think the split becomes more 60/40 next season which should still be very productive and keep everyone fresh and healthy.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jason castro, minnesota twins, twins free agency, free agent catchers, mlb free agency