Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Cubs claim former 1st rounder Gutierrez off waivers

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

meh..

#2 Musk21

Musk21

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

http://www.mlbtrader..._medium=twitter
If Twins can't re-sign Hunter, plans are to trade, sign a FA or go in-house to find a replacement.

#3 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

another worthless first rounder...

#4 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

Disappointing, to say the least.

#5 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

matt capps option was declined as well
yeah finally go capps

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

Anyone know what caused the Twins to waive him now? I'm just trying to understand the timing.

#7 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Anyone know what caused the Twins to waive him now? I'm just trying to understand the timing.

hopefuly to clear space on the 40 man roster

#8 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

They removed a bunch of pitchers from the 40-man: Perdomo, Walters, Waldrop, Vasquez, Manship. Also, Matt Carson.

#9 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

Nice first round pick.....he was a college reliever, right?

#10 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

Once he gets healthy & a shot, I think he'll be a legit reliever for CHI.....probably next yr. Clears out the 2 first rounder misses from Billy Smith as well as Capps. Need to get rid of Blackburn & the majority of Bill Smith disasters will be gone

#11 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

The GM does not make the picks in the baseball draft......especially not for the Twins. I believe the man that made those picks is still in charge of the draft.

#12 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

Was he out of options next year? I'm a a little surprised by this, too.

#13 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Was he out of options next year? I'm a a little surprised by this, too.

I believe so, this would have been his 6th year and he hasn't really done anything in his time in the minors anwyays.

#14 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,931 posts

Just realized this thread is also going in the Minor League forum. I'm going to move it over there and then merge it with the other one.

#15 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

The GM does not make the picks in the baseball draft......especially not for the Twins. I believe the man that made those picks is still in charge of the draft.

I understand.....but the stink from Billy Smith's era is still 'on' it. Just looking to rid us of all that was that era.

Carlos only used one option year last season. He has 2 seasons left as a 95mph thrower.....which I guess we have too much of.

#16 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

Once he gets healthy & a shot, I think he'll be a legit reliever for CHI.....probably next yr. Clears out the 2 first rounder misses from Billy Smith as well as Capps. Need to get rid of Blackburn & the majority of Bill Smith disasters will be gone

Criticize Bill Smith all you want, TR had a lot of stinker 1st round picks too.

Remember BJ Garbe, Adam Johnson, Matt Moses, Matthew Fox, Jay Rainville, and Hank Sanchez? Me neither.

#17 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

Wasted time trying to make him a starter.

History is repeating itself in the minors with Summers/Boer,and am sure they'll waste time with a couple of hard throwers drafted this year,too.

#18 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

I agree with Mr ed....and they repeated it in the last draft.....

#19 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

Use the bullpen of flame throwers to shut down games. Look at what that did for the Red this year, with a group of decent starters.

Advance the College bullpen guys sooner than later.

#20 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

with 7-8 spots open on 40 man.....its still surprising that they essentially waived him. They tried to send him to ROC but didnt think he'd be claimed. Wonder if they thought there was a chance he'd be claimed if they woulda outrighted him when they didnt need to.

#21 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

I get a kick out of them still trying to get something out of the Johan trade. Day-oh-leese lost all his velocity moons ago, and they're still hoping something good happens.

#22 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

I'm guessing this means his shoulder injury is pretty bad? I don't really care much, just surprises me with the amount of pitching they keep around that they couldn't keep him around. If healthy he is something (hard throwing) that the Twins don't have.

#23 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

I hope this isn't a move that comes back to bite us. I mean it probably won't but Gutierrez has some pretty good stuff from what I've heard and he just hasn't been able to put it all together. Injuries haven't helped either.

#24 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

I think they took the chance that no one would claim him. Te Cubs have to 40-man him, and then run him thru if they want the roster spot. He's out thru half of next season, I think.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#25 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

Gutierrez would be better in the bullpen than Anthony Swarzak, I guarantee you. It would have been better to keep Gutierrez, pitch him, and trade him than this. The only thing that Swarzak would bring in a trade is Bigfoot.

#26 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,321 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:51 AM

My assumption is that they thought that they could sneak him through waivers and be able to send him back to Rochester. Maybe the thought was that since he was coming off of shoulder surgery, teams would pass on him thinking maybe the Twins know it's something more.

I don't mind the pick, and I think having him start was the right thing. Right now, he's 25 years old with one pitch. Yes, it's a 95 mph fastball, but that's it. He could be a back of the bullpen guy with that, maybe, if he had better control. The goal of having him start was to develop a 2nd or 3rd pitch. If he could have developed a 2nd pitch over the course of four minor league seasons, then suddenly he could be a very solid late-inning reliever. If he could have developed a 3rd pitch, he could have been a solid big league starter.

It didn't work out because he was unable to come up with a 2nd pitch.

From the Cubs perspective, they're claiming all kinds of players with some upside. Gutierrez can throw hard and despite already being older, he does still have two options left. They can be patient with him.

#27 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:01 AM

My assumption is that they thought that they could sneak him through waivers and be able to send him back to Rochester. Maybe the thought was that since he was coming off of shoulder surgery, teams would pass on him thinking maybe the Twins know it's something more.

I don't mind the pick, and I think having him start was the right thing. Right now, he's 25 years old with one pitch. Yes, it's a 95 mph fastball, but that's it. He could be a back of the bullpen guy with that, maybe, if he had better control. The goal of having him start was to develop a 2nd or 3rd pitch. If he could have developed a 2nd pitch over the course of four minor league seasons, then suddenly he could be a very solid late-inning reliever. If he could have developed a 3rd pitch, he could have been a solid big league starter.

It didn't work out because he was unable to come up with a 2nd pitch.

From the Cubs perspective, they're claiming all kinds of players with some upside. Gutierrez can throw hard and despite already being older, he does still have two options left. They can be patient with him.

This is what the Twins should have been doing much more of in their advantageous last-place position the last two seasons and the off-season. Missed out on a lot of upside prospects- and multiple flippable guys to use to acquire even more upside prospects, for which obviously the Twins have a desperate need to raise the volume dearth currently coming through the system.

#28 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,321 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:12 AM

This is what the Twins should have been doing much more of in their advantageous last-place position the last two seasons and the off-season. Missed out on a lot of upside prospects- and multiple flippable guys to use to acquire even more upside prospects, for which obviously the Twins have a desperate need to raise the volume dearth currently coming through the system.[/QUOTE]

Please remimd me which upside prospects the Twins missed out on?

#29 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

Looks like another first round pick that won't work out for the Twins.

#30 Celebrity Weddings!

Celebrity Weddings!

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

Looks like another first round pick that won't work out for the Twins.

I have mixed feelings about what you've done here. It's definitely funny, but if this joke becomes a bummer then I'm going to go all frown-facey and change my name to Celebrity Divorces!