Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Yankees Post-season FAILURES

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,068 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:03 AM

This has been rehashed time and time again so I won't get into the Twins failures against the Yankees. Instead, this is about the Yankees failures against everybody else. Since their dynasty officially ended in the 2001 World Series, NY has been a pretty crappy postseason team (when not facing the Twins).

WC             ALDS        ALCS      WS          Total          Series

2002                                   1-3                                              1-3             0-1

2003                                   3-1            4-3        2-4           9-8              2-1

2004                                   3-1            3-4                          6-5              1-1

2005                                   2-3                                              2-3             0-1

2006                                   1-3                                              1-3             0-1

2007                                   1-3                                              1-3             0-1

2008 NA

2009                                   3-0           4-2        4-2            11-4            3-0

2010                                   3-0           2-4                            5-4             1-1 

2011                                   2-3                                              2-3           0-1

2012                                  3-2            0-4                           3-6              1-1

2013 NA

2014 NA

2015          0-1                                                                      0-1              0-1

2016 NA

2017          1-0                3-2           3-4                            7-6              2-1

2018          1-0                1-3                                              2-3              1-1

2019                                 3-0           2-4                            5-4              1-1

Total         2-1                29-24        18-25       6-6         55-56           12-13

vs Twins   1-0                 15-2                                            16-2             6-0

vs non-Twins1-1                14-22      18-25       6-6          39-54          6-13

NY is basically a 68 win team over 162 against every opponent but the Twins and win less than a third of their postseason series (if you count the play-in games as series).

It is really annoying that every other team in the league plays NY to a draw, at minimum, but most have their way with them. But, hey, it's all a crapshoot once you get to the postseason, right?

• Mike Frasier Law and bighat like this

#2 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,659 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:41 AM

I’m looking for the list of all the other teams the Yankees have swept in the postseason, but not finding it.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#3 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,834 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 12:25 PM

One thing about the Yankees is they call this season a failure.Even with all the injuries and getting to the ALCS this season is a failure.

#4 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,834 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 12:30 PM

. But, hey, it's all a crapshoot once you get to the postseason, right?

That is always the popular take when we go into a series and then it'snothing but snake eyes.

There needs to come a point where this franchise admits that is essential to get over this inferiority complex we have against them.Obviously we don't lose as much as we have against them because they are THAT MUCH better.

So NO.It is not a crapshoot when we play them.

#5 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 742 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:08 PM

I'm psyched that Altuve went yard to walk off. 

• Mike Frasier Law and Bomba2026 like this

#6 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,170 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:50 PM

I’d still much rather be the Yanks than the Twins. Meanwhile we’re going to set an unprecedented record for consecutive playoff losses in all sports if we lose our next playoff game.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#7 spycake

spycake

• 16,948 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:10 PM

Meanwhile we’re going to set an unprecedented record for consecutive playoff losses in all sports if we lose our next playoff game.

I think we could already claim the record, with an asterisk. The 1970s Chicago Blackhawks were in a league of 17 teams, where 12 made the playoffs! And they had to play some best-of-sevens too, so they racked up their loss streak in only 4 years/series, I think.

But yes, it should be a goal next year to claim the record outright. :)
  • Dantes929, Danchat, Longdistancetwins and 2 others like this

#8 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Ft Myers Miracle

• 265 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:34 PM

Thank you Houston for beating New York! I seriously think the Yankees thought the Astros were not in the same league as them and turns out the Astros were much better...this will be a fun World Series where I hate to see either team lose, but I will go with the old guys, the Nats!

#9 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,834 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:02 PM

This isn't a good look people.Who are we to spout off about their post season FAILURES unless we are willing to make a thread in the same vain about ours.

Honestly.If we can't even go there and make that thread while this one running, what are we doing?

#10 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,742 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:06 PM

Thank you Houston for beating New York! I seriously think the Yankees thought the Astros were not in the same league as them and turns out the Astros were much better...this will be a fun World Series where I hate to see either team lose, but I will go with the old guys, the Nats!

https://www.si.com/m...WSSUWP_RSjUxYdM

The home run ball bounced off the giant wall and back on to the field. Yankees leftfielder Brett Gardner picked it up. He saw Houston bullpen catcher Javier Bracamonte walking past him toward the pile of Astros gathering at home plate.

“Here,” Gardner said, handing him the ball. “Take this. You guys are a great team. Now go win the World Series. Represent the American League well.”

Said Bracamonte, “It was so classy. And Aaron Judge gave me a hug and said the same thing. I have so much respect for those guys.”

• Mike Frasier Law, Kelly Vance, Longdistancetwins and 2 others like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#11 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 742 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:12 PM

Yeah, look, I don't hate the Yankees. I admire them for being good. I like Judge and Gardner and Hicks a lot. And being better than my team, is not a reason to hate em. 

But I REALLY like Altuve.He carries the water for all those of average height. I felt the same about Tim Raines and Ceasar Tovar.

Go Astros

• Longdistancetwins likes this

#12 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 1,026 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:43 AM

Lewis Black always said the best things to do if your team doesn't make it gamble on outcomes or pick a team and root for their demise.The latter is so easy to do with the Damn Yankees. I could care less if Brett Gardner is a good sport.

#13 spycake

spycake

• 16,948 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:19 AM

Since their dynasty officially ended in the 2001 World Series, NY has been a pretty crappy postseason team (when not facing the Twins).

I know the Yankee/media expectations are higher, but to be fair, a cherry-picked 39-54 record against postseason competition isn't that bad. The postseason is tough! The Yankees have been competitive in almost every series too, aside from 1 sweep. Even a handful of 3-1 ALDS losses have come at the hands of some pretty good teams (2002 Angels, 2018 Red Sox, etc.)

Still no excuse for going 2-16 against them, of course!

#14 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• 1,945 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for brightening up the morning for this lifelong Twins fan.

#15 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,068 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:31 PM

This isn't a good look people.Who are we to spout off about their post season FAILURES unless we are willing to make a thread in the same vain about ours.

Honestly.If we can't even go there and make that thread while this one running, what are we doing?

The point of it was to show that the Yankees are not some big, scary, unbeatable powerhouse and that no one else in the league has any issue beating them in the postseason.

• SQUIRREL and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#16 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,834 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:11 PM

The point of it was to show that the Yankees are not some big, scary, unbeatable powerhouse and that no one else in the league has any issue beating them in the postseason.

Fine, but is it not a fact that we have lost 13 post season games in a row against them?

What exactly are we talking about here??

#17 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,659 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:49 PM

He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#18 spycake

spycake

• 16,948 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 06:53 AM

Fine, but is it not a fact that we have lost 13 post season games in a row against them?

The poster was actually making the Twins losing streak look worse, not trying to excuse it or make it look better.

#19 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,347 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:22 AM

Pop quiz:

What do I and the New York Yankees have in common?

A: We're both sitting on our couch tonight watchin' the World Series.

• SQUIRREL, spycake and Sconnie like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#20 spycake

spycake

• 16,948 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:50 AM

Pop quiz:

What do I and the New York Yankees have in common?

A: We're both sitting on our couch tonight watchin' the World Series.

But there's probably millions of dollars more in "loose change" in the Yankee couches. :)

Edited by spycake, 25 October 2019 - 10:13 AM.

• ashbury and USAFChief like this