Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Daily 2019 Awards: Most Valuable Player

max kepler
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 scottz

scottz

• 696 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:13 PM

That doesn't say how many games he's played at full health.

As my original post said I feel like he's frequently battling nagging injuries that drag down his second half performance. He's young. I hope he learns how to condition and avoid that.

Obviously there’s no stat for playing at full health. I think it’s a pretty logical leap that over a three year period, the pains and aches of nagging injuries across all the players of baseball would even out.

But who knows. Maybe Eric Hosmer feels fresh all season long and maybe Rosario will someday learn to be healthier than all other professional baseball players.

Edited by scottz, 18 October 2019 - 11:14 PM.

#22 rghrbek

rghrbek

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 681 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 12:30 AM

Respect all the great opinions on this article, tough decision for many.

For me it's Cruz by a long shot, there is no way the clubhouse was this close without him.  That is based on 0 analytics, just knowing that he made this young group of players closer.

I believe Polonco, Kepler and Garver are all legitimate and Odo too.  But somehow I don't think this was even close.  I think he made the kids become men so to speak or more professional.  We had to have him in the clubhouse .

• scottz likes this

#23 adorduan

adorduan

• 697 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:15 AM

I like Eddie, but he hasn't stayed healthy for a full season yet, has he? He doesn't miss a lot of games, but he seems to get more nagging ailments that affect his play in the second half.

Or maybe it's in my head.

Compared to Buxton, He's Lou Gehrig.......

#24 by jiminy

by jiminy

• 191 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:02 AM

To me the only player I can see the team crumbling if they lost him is Berrios. There are so many good hitters that no one of them is indispensable. Berrios is the only indispensable player on the team, IMO.

The other player they could not have done without this year is Rogers.

I know the hitters carried the team; as a group they are clearly why they won the division.

They just had so damn many of them! Doesn't mean any one of them didn't contribute hugely. It just makes any one of them less crucial.

When you have five 30 HR guys, losing one means you still have four. The team doesn't fall apart. Take out Cruz and you still have seven 20 homer guys and ten in double digits! You could live without him.

I'm fine with saying it's Cruz, or Kepler, or any if those guys. They all came up huge. Just depends what you mean by most valuable. If it means, couldn't have done it without then, I'd put Berrios and Rogers above them. If it means, how much did they contribute, you have a wonderful problem because so many contributed so much. But my top five would probably be Berrios, Rogers, Kepler, Cruz... and then either Odorizzi, Polanco, or Garver.

Damn, that's a solid team when Sano and Buxton don't make your top eight! No disrespect to them!

#25 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,834 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 12:20 PM

I explained it more in a video I have that I might drag up but if you're wondering why I had Buxton as my number 1, here it is:

Really it came down to the level of play the team had with Buxton on the field and with him off it. With Buxton, they played at an astonishing level as you can see by their record and without him they were just solid. He is the backbone of this team in my opinion and is the most irreplaceable player on the squad and that is what I define value to be. 

Wow.I am speechless.

Only goes to show two people can be watching the same thing day in and day out and come to completely different conclusions.

#26 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,631 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:09 AM

Previous Twins Daily MVP Winners
2015: Brian Dozier
2016: Brian Dozier
2017: Brian Dozier
2018: Eddie Rosario

I guess that means the faithful will be turning on Kepler next year. It seems to be a curse to be named MVP by Twins Daily.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: max kepler