Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Handing a Qualifying Offer to Michael Pineda

minnesota twins michael pineda derek falvey
  • Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 204 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:15 AM

Incentive contract only. Can he beat the best teams?
  • Bomba2026 likes this

#42 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:22 AM

Here's the current JDA:

http://www.mlb.com/pa/pdf/jda.pdf

He gets up to 15 days in the minors, since his suspension was 51+ games (see page 46).

And given the Cody Stanley example and the lack of any specificity in the current JDA, I assume that part is still the same and unsigned games would still count in this case.

I was operating under his remaining suspension (37 games), not the original length, so 15 may be accurate. 

#43 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:25 AM

There is no way Pineda would WANT to receive a QO, especially because he will already have one less month to earn his next check.

If Pineda is QO’d, I see almost no way another team goes after him knowing he misses more than a month AND losing the pick.

I would love the QO if I was Pineda. I'd sign it in less than 1 second. 

Which means that's a bad way to utilize a qualifying offer.

• USAFChief, brvama, JW24 and 1 other like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#44 spycake

spycake

• 16,974 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:32 AM

There is no way Pineda would WANT to receive a QO, especially because he will already have one less month to earn his next check.

If Pineda is QO’d, I see almost no way another team goes after him knowing he misses more than a month AND losing the pick.

If Pineda doesn't mind coming back to Minnesota, the QO is clearly his best bet. Even with the suspension, he gets a 1 year, ~$14 mil deal, and a guarantee that he'll be a free agent again next winter with no possibility of ever getting another QO. That's probably better for him than a lot of the 2 year deal ideas floated around here. (If he actually had a chance at a longer-term, big-money deal this winter, he wouldn't want the QO -- but I don't think he really has that chance right now, given the circumstances.)

Obviously, if he doesn't want to come back to Minnesota for some reason, he wouldn't want a QO from us either, but I have no reason to believe that he would want to get out of Minnesota that badly.

• In My La-Z-boy likes this

#45 Ted Schwerzler

Ted Schwerzler

Ft Myers Miracle

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 455 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:45 AM

There seems to be a lot of certainty that Pineda won't do better on the open market. I don't know that I agree with that. Here's some deals from 2019:

Happ 2/$34MM

Lynn 3/$30MM

Even Matt Harvey got $11MM after a two terrible seasons.

If you can get Pineda on a QO committing to him for just a year at $13.8MM or whatever it is, there's nothing wrong with that.

• Twins33, Sssuperdave, Vanimal46 and 2 others like this
- Ted Schwerzler
Off The Baggy
@tlschwerz

#46 TwinkieTownKiller

TwinkieTownKiller

Elizabethton Twins

• 38 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:52 AM

Bring him back. If he's your 3 or 4 you're looking at a strong rotation. Another year recovered from TJ and if he gives you anywhere near what we got last year, it'd be a steal.

• wabene and Nine of twelve like this

#47 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Ft Myers Miracle

• 271 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:22 AM

So since my opinion got yanked let me rephrase my comment....If Mike shows up to a contract meeting or Spring Training looking like a million bucks, I'd resign him for way less with incentives. I would judge his attitude, his fitness outlook and goals and go forward from that point on how he would fit in on the 2020 team. Hope this is ok, I just like to condense my thoughts!
  • In My La-Z-boy likes this

#48 Oglivie

Oglivie

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:23 AM

He’s an older player that got paid by the twins to rehab and then got busted for a banned substance.  His action clearly hurt the Twins playoff run. And he gets rewarded with $17 million?  I don’t care if he doesn’t get paid for 35 games this is a lousy message to players and a bad game plan for the Twins.

https://www.espn.com...-drug-violation

Have you spoken out against the five-year deal they gave Jorge Polanco?

#49 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 434 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:37 AM

I'd give it to him. 

I don't care about the Pohlad's money. Who cares if you might be able to get him for 2/25 or 3/40 or whatever. Give him the QO and he's here almost for sure. Plus if he sucks, then you let him walk after a season.

The only thing I would be leary about would be that whatever he was taking was helping his performance. There is almost no doubt in my mind he was using performance enhancing drugs. 

How often are you able to sign 31 year old pitchers with his numbers to a one year deal? It's fairly rare I'd say. Just give him the QO and be done with it. 

#50 Oglivie

Oglivie

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:49 AM

Yes, by all means lets use a chunk of our scarce financial resources on an aging player with a long injury history coming off of a suspension! We can just count on his career-best 2019 season is the new normal, and give him a multi-year contract, just like Phil Hughes! 

Who's with me! 

Pineda was a nice story for part of the year, but unless he's willing to take a team-friendly deal (and really, why should he), we can move on.

Scares financial resources? You do realize that right now the Twins only have $38 million to their payroll and you can take 7.5M out of there after they let Martin Perez walk for 500k instead of paying him 7.5M

#51 SarasotaBill

SarasotaBill

• 193 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:00 PM

1. QO Pineda

2. QO Odorizzi

3. Sign or trade for an impact pitcher

4. Limit Graterol innings in the minors (two to three months) so he can pitch into October.

5. Groom top pitching prospects for 2021 

• Kelly Vance likes this

#52 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,917 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:21 PM

1. QO Pineda
2. QO Odorizzi
3. Sign or trade for an impact pitcher
4. Limit Graterol innings in the minors (two to three months) so he can pitch into October.
5. Groom top pitching prospects for 2021

Who makes Pineda's first seven to eight starts? Do you think they'll win even a third of those?

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#53 SarasotaBill

SarasotaBill

• 193 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:37 PM

Who makes Pineda's first seven to eight starts? Do you think they'll win even a third of those?

Yes - a mixture of the following

Dobnak

Smeltzer

Stashak

Thorpe

Use of bullpen games like the Rays

Sanchez/Oliver low cost FA

#54 jgfellows

jgfellows

• 24 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:54 PM

https://www.espn.com...-drug-violation Have you spoken out against the five-year deal they gave Jorge Polanco?

I would have if they were gong to give him 17 million bucks for a year.  And this is apples and oranges I’m not against signing Pineda.  I’m against a qualifying offer when he screwed his team over.  I would bet there’s more than a few in the Twins clubhouse who would agree with me, maybe even Polanco.

#55 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,917 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:27 PM

Dobnak
Smeltzer
Stashak
Thorpe

Not Dobnak, he's a full time starter under this plan.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#56 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,006 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:43 PM

If the QO is really needed I guess I do it. Regardless, I will advocate to retain big Mike. He was the best pitcher in the rotation from June until his suspension. Arguably should have been the game 1 starter against the Yankees if he was eligible.
  • LA VIkes Fan likes this

#57 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,365 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:01 PM

Pineda isnt getting $14m next year. He'd jump for joy over a QO.
  • Steve Lein likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#58 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,371 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:45 PM

Dobnak

Smeltzer

Stashak

Thorpe

Not to mention that, in looking at the schedule, there are six off days during his suspension. If they chose to keep Berrios, Odo (hint, hint), _____, and Dobnak on a five-day pattern, it appears that they could conceivably get by with just six starts from the No. 5 guy in Pineda's absence.

In other words, I agree -- there's flexibility, and I'm not overly worried about the suspension in itself. Realistically, the drop from Pineda to one of those guys over six (or even eight, if they pitch well and you don't skip the spot) starts is probably not worth more than a game or two. 

Not to mention that some have named a concern that he's never pitched more than 175 innings since 2016. Well, gee, I guess we just found a way to limit his innings. 

I don't know salaries well enough to know if QO dollars are the right figure (though I tilt toward yes, given the overall amount of budget available), but I do like pursuing him if due diligence addresses the chemical issue and the clubhouse issue. 

#59 Dome Dogg

Dome Dogg

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 59 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:19 AM

Scares financial resources? You do realize that right now the Twins only have $38 million to their payroll and you can take 7.5M out of there after they let Martin Perez walk for 500k instead of paying him 7.5M

Do the Pohlads still own the team? Yes? Then the financial resources are indeed scarce. 

"Kid, don't you think there's a problem when you get that excited over a seeing-eye single?"

#60 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 1,055 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:25 AM

Screw Pineda

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, michael pineda, derek falvey