Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Dunn and Worsts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Curt

Curt

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

Two topics... one thread. Dunn won Comeback POY. A dubious honor perhaps. Still, I think Mauer should have won.

I saw this article, "Jerks of the Year: Worst Batters, Pitchers, Teams in the 2012 MLB Season."

Only one Twins mention that I noticed, Ben Revere hitting an MLB worst zero home runs. I did take note of the worst attendance: Tampa Bay drew 1,559,681 (19,255 average per game). That would have led the AL in 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1970 and 1974 (and very often prior to '61).

I imagine both leagues measure the same way now but, back in the day, one league (I think the AL) counted the turnstiles which included give-aways like Knothole Day (among others) while the other counted tickets sold, including no-shows. The NL numbers were always higher than the AL but nobody was really sure which league actually drew more.

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,931 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

The requirement of 162 innings looks to have spared the Twins from peppering the worst pitching page. A full season from Blackburn likely would have given him the worst ERA, WHIP, ER and HR titles. Hendricks surely could have challenged for most loses.

#3 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

Dunn wan TSN's CPY trophy, not the MLB award. Those awards went to Fernando Rodney and Buster Posey.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#4 Curt

Curt

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

Dunn wan TSN's CPY trophy, not the MLB award. Those awards went to Fernando Rodney and Buster Posey.

I did not realize that. Rodney had an unusually good year but "comeback?" That seems odd.

#5 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

I was one that was absolutely in the camp that Dunn would rebound. NOW, I would never have gambles on his 39m left on his 3 yrs but......there are some players on that list I would gamble on this winter & Ricky Romero heads the list.
One bad year out of 4 would lessen what it will take to get him. Its a gamble but he's quasi-ace (at least #2 type) if he gets his control back.

#6 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

I did not realize that. Rodney had an unusually good year but "comeback?" That seems odd.

We discussed it in one of the awards threads that Posey and Rodney had the narrative going, but Rios is by far the biggest comeback guy this year in the AL, and Martin Prado in the NL, going on fWAR.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!