Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: ALDS Takeaways, Part 2: Miguel Sanó and the Athleticism Gap

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:59 PM

Polanco has a hard enough time making throws from shortstop. He won’t be playing third any time soon.

Most of the throws from third are shorter than any throw from shortstop because you play more shallow. The longest throw from third base is one from behind the bag. That’s still closer than a shortstop going a couple steps to his right from standard depth.
  • justinone and DannySD like this

#82 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 623 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:31 PM

What are your thoughts on Jonathan Schoop?

He is a serviceable major league player on a rebuilding team.

Edited by jz7233, 13 October 2019 - 06:36 PM.

#83 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,271 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:47 PM

Sanó certainly played his way into the Twins future this year. He's a minor liability at third base, and if he was the only defensive liability in the infield, I don't think there would be a push to move him. I don't blame Sanó for the two big hits in the playoff series versus New York.

With four below-average defenders in the infield, I think something has to be done. Moving Sanó to first could improve defense at first and third if Sanó can develop to league average as a first baseman and if improved defense can be supplied at third. 

• jz7233 likes this

#84 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,734 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:00 PM

What I do with Sano depends almost entirely on what third basemen are available this offseason and for what price. Maybe I'm clinging to Gonzalez' flexibility too much but I really want to keep him in that role.

Or maybe they make Adrianza the super sub and Gonzalez the third baseman. That might not be a terrible solution.

Trade with arizona, they got a 3b who had a great year, Cant remember name ???????? :banghead:

• jz7233 likes this

#85 Thegrin

Thegrin

• 1,055 posts
  • LocationRipon, CA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:31 PM

I hope they keep Sano at 3rd.Work his tail off all winter. Play 3b during Dominican Ball. Help him lose more weight so that his playing weight is 250 lbs of muscle.He's quick and has a canon for an arm and he would be the best power hitting 3b in baseball. Its not the easy way to handle the situation, but the payoff would be bigger.

:)

• Sconnie and Nine of twelve like this

#86 Jham

Jham

• 2,216 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:25 PM

Please please no more Schoop, he isn't much better defensively.

I actually really like Schoop. I thought he and Cruz providing leadership was a big reason for the turnaround. He handled his demotion like an absolute professional. He had shown flashes of all star in his career and overall this year was a bounce back for him after playing hurt mitch off last year.

I'd be happy to have him back but I'm guessing he'll want a place where he can start.

Edited by Jham, 14 October 2019 - 08:25 PM.

#87 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 623 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:42 PM

I actually really like Schoop. I thought he and Cruz providing leadership was a big reason for the turnaround. He handled his demotion like an absolute professional. He had shown flashes of all star in his career and overall this year was a bounce back for him after playing hurt mitch off last year.

I'd be happy to have him back but I'm guessing he'll want a place where he can start.

What kind of leadership did he provide? Did he have a choice? He's not going to walk away from millions of dollars.

#88 Jham

Jham

• 2,216 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:58 AM

What kind of leadership did he provide? Did he have a choice? He's not going to walk away from millions of dollars.

Yeah he had a choice. He could have sulked. He could have asked for a trade. He could have demanded playing time. When the Twins played in Baltimore after he was dealt to Milwaukee at the deadline the previous year, a year in which he statistically fell off the table, then signed with the Twins for 2019, his first at bat back in Camden Yards he received a standing ovation from a very appreciative and knowledgeable fan base. His last year there was much worse than his year here. It later came ot that he was playing hurt most od the season. I watch almost every game, and he is always laughing and joking with his teammates, cheering when not playing, and playing hard when he gets the chance. He was mostly bad in the 2nd half and small in big moments, but overall he had a productive year. It's easier to have good chemistry when you're winning, but good chemistry also contributes to wins (anecdotally).
  • Kelly Vance likes this

#89 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,853 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:08 PM

Pretty unfair. You write a headline like this, making it seem Miggy was at fault for not being athletic enough, then you bury this admission in the story

Neither hit was Sanó’s fault, exactly. The smart money says he was instructed to move off the line before the Gardner single by the Twins dugout, to better align him with the rest of the shifted infield. The Torres ball was hit hard, and the team hadn’t had a shift on against Torres, so Sanó was a step further from the line than he might have been otherwise.

Agree.What are we talking about here?

This team was not ready for the fight.It was a team effort all the way around.To focus on a pitching move here and a play that maybe could have been made totally avoids the harsh reality that this team was not mentally equipped to battle.I fully expected the Yankees to hit, but I also expected us to hit a little.We did not.At all.

There is your reason why we lost three in a row.Heck, in the last game we had a big chance early with the bases loaded and nobody out and we couldn't push a run across the plate.How come this is talked about and we are splitting hairs with this stuff about Miggy's lack of athleticism?